Ask a Monican #45

Monica from www.runeatrepeat.com talks about:
1. I have bad blisters from running – what do I do?
2. Can I run a half marathon in 2013?
3. What do you think about pale people? I mean, paleo?

Got a question? Email me at runeatrepeat at gmail dot com

pin it button Ask a Monican #45

Comments

1. Kaelin says

You are hysterical!! I want to eat the Zoomba diet too! I’m thinking lots of spicy zesty foods.

I love your video blogs, and was happy to see the latest one posted in my reader. You always make me smile. I can count on you for a ‘real girl’ perspective and your advice is always spot on IMO. Thank you for the chuckles this evening!!

I don’t know how to heal a blister, or run with one, but i wanted to share what i do to avoid getting them. Since we all know runners are weird, i don’t feel weird sharing this at all! :-)
    Monistat anti-chaffing gel. It’s next to the “other” Monistat at wal-mart (boo hiss). My Walgreens doesn’t carry it. I put it between my toes and on the bottoms of my feet, as well as other places… It’s a gel-to-powder substance, and it’s great!

Hope this helps someone else.

P.s. It has the same composition and texture as Smashbox Photo Finish makeup primer, but a fraction of the price. Just throwing that out there.

Hope this helps someone else.

4. Amber says

You are awesome! Loved this episode of “Ask A Monican”. Question #2 was really helpful to me because I am in the exact same place in my running journey as the person who asked the question. Just hoping to successfully make it through a 5k without walking, yet already dreaming of my first half and full marathon. I need to keep reminding myself that it’s a process and not get ahead of myself.

I dunno Monica, I started the Couch to 5k program last November right after I got inspired by the NYC Marathon, and I did it on and off through winter/spring and I was able to reach my goal and run a half marathon this October! And I did it at 225 pounds and a 14:30 min/mile. I think if *I* can complete a half marathon a year after starting the Couch to 5k, anyone can!

These questions all applied to me – blisters are running bummers and thanks for the advice on that. I too thought 5k & weight loss together would happen but have to focus on one more directly. 8k here I come. And completely agree – any diet that doesn’t let you eat something at all (that you need) is a flag for me.

7. Alison says

I use athletic tape to help prevent blisters and chaffing. I put a nice long piece of tape over the area. I also love the the BandAid Blister pads.

Good luck

8. Erin Nicole says

Bandaid brand blister bandaids are the best! They’re sorta pricey for bandaids (like $4 for a box of 8) but they are miracle workers

Ex-ballerina here…we used to wrap our toes in surgical tape (you know, that white stuff you use to tape gauze down?) to prevent blisters. It worked like a charm! Probably would work great for running-related blister prevention as well because it prevents rubbing and stays in place regardless of sweat, blood, wooden pointe shoe boxes smashing my toes into pulp…ok that was gross but totally happened. And you get the idea ;)