Santa To The Sea Half Marathon

Last race of 2012 done and done wlEmoticon smile5 Santa To The Sea Half Marathon

image thumb10 Santa To The Sea Half Marathon

IMG 20121209 072654 800x800 thumb Santa To The Sea Half Marathon

This morning I ran the Santa to the Sea Half Marathon in Oxnard. Oxnard is about 2 hours north of Orange County so I cooked up a plan weeks ago to talk Skinny Runner into coming with me. Added bonus: She drove! Thank goodness she has a SmartCar so the gas was only $.03 or something. IMG 9765 800x600 800x600 thumb Santa To The Sea Half Marathon

The 2 hour drive meant a 4am wake-up call though. That’s not horrible, but I have been fighting off a sore throat since I got back from Vegas on Monday. I woke up feeling less than 100%, but the show race must go on. image thumb11 Santa To The Sea Half Marathon

Drive drive drive.IMG 9773 800x600 800x600 thumb Santa To The Sea Half Marathon

We got to the parking area right on schedule and jumped outta the car to grab our costume accessories and get on the shuttle. (I pieced together my outfit last night at the Goodwill.)IMG 9775 600x800 600x800 thumb Santa To The Sea Half Marathon

The course is point to point (starts in one location and finished in another), but there was a long line of buses waiting for the runners to fill ‘em up! We were on in minutes.20121209 065529 800x600 Santa To The Sea Half Marathon

We had some time to kill at the start so we killed our cameras…048 800x588 800x588 thumb Santa To The Sea Half Marathon

047 600x800 600x800 thumb Santa To The Sea Half Marathon

(Image source: Skinnyrunner.com)

The Race: The course is completely flat except for one short overpass at mile 6. Loved it! Even though it’s a smaller race the cheering support was great! A lot of people came out and it was really appreciated.

I had a good race, started out too fast, but didn’t completely die. I ran 10 miles yesterday and was wearing a dress and stockings so I wasn’t expecting a PR. I’m here for a good time, not a long time wlEmoticon winkingsmile2 Santa To The Sea Half Marathon

Half Marathon time – 1:48:46 pace – 8:17

Skinny Runner was done in 90 minutes and looped back around to be my personal race photographer! This saves about $226.00 for one 8×10.

073 800x586 800x586 thumb Santa To The Sea Half Marathon

(image source: www.skinnyrunner.com)

What the heck was I wearing?

076 622x800 622x800 thumb Santa To The Sea Half Marathon

SR told me she was going to dress up like a candy cane so I figured I would just be a hungry girl chasing her, but I knew a.) no one would get it and b.) I would never really catch her so I should just bring my own candy.

So, I went to the Goodwill and ended up as Santa’s Helper. 083 800x580 800x580 thumb Santa To The Sea Half Marathon

Not Santa’s Little Helper:santas little helper thumb Santa To The Sea Half Marathon(image source)

Costume situation: I went to the GoodWill last night with an open mind. I didn’t have much time and figured I would ‘make it work’. I saw the hat on the floor under a display… mine now. And then spotted the dress and nylons. I was going to put a belt with it, but it lifted it up too much.

I have never run in a dress or tights before, but it was okay. The dress was a bit much considering I’ll never wear it again, but I got a lot of compliments on it so I think it was worth it in the end. Total costume was under $14.00.052 523x800 523x800 Santa To The Sea Half Marathon

Add those amazing holiday socks ProCompression sent me (which I will wear everyday until Jan 5th) and Santa’s Helper is ho ho ho ready to go! 1355064644092 Santa To The Sea Half Marathon

On the way home we stopped at Whole Foods and attacked the place.

IMG 9777 600x800 thumb Santa To The Sea Half Marathon

Final Thoughts: I had a blast! The course was flat (hello, love.) and it was a smaller race with solid support. I would definitely do this race again. IMG 9778 800x600 thumb Santa To The Sea Half Marathon

Post Run Thoughts: My throat feels like it’s swelling up so I’m taking some Ibuprofen and a cookie I got at the finish line. A cookie a day keeps the doctor away. Or something.IMG 9780 800x600 thumb Santa To The Sea Half Marathon

Question: Did you run this weekend? Where? Have you ever dressed up for a race?

Comments

Congrats on the race! It seems like everyone was running a 1/2 this weekend. I, on the other hand, did absolutely nothing after being struck by the worst flu ever! Ugh, still not feeling right after 3 days of a high fever. :(

Totally spotted you and SR at the race today but chickened out before I could say hi! Your costumes looked great! So glad you both headed this way for a smaller race :)

3. Hillary says

Hope you feel better!

I ran the Surf N Santa 10 miler in Virginia Beach, VA. Great weather for it, and friend waiting at the finish equals a great final race of 2012 for me too!

4. Susan says

You’re costume was great and way to be super speedy! We ran a 10K Jingle Bell Run on Saturday. My next half is the Santa Hustle next Sunday. I bought the same skirt at Target that SR is wearing in these pictures but I’m going to try to put some sparkles on it. There is a chance of flurries and the temp will only be around 30…so I’ll be wearing tights under my skirt which I’ve never done before. Actually I’ve never done either of those things: worn tights or worn a skirt. YIKES

Good job!!!

Great job on the race! My ProCompression candy cane socks arrived yesterday! :)
    I’ve dressed up for a few races – Christmas, St. Patrick’s Day, and the Disney Princess half. I ran five slow miles on the treadmill. I wasn’t feling it, but I’m glad I ran!
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Both of y’all are so cute in your running costumes! Sounds like it was a fun race. Hope you kick your sore that before it turns into anything major – maybe some wine with the cookies (alcohol kills all germs)!

You two are adorable.

I ate all weekend and gained at least 5 pounds..so sad I know! The blizzard and being home bound today didn’t help either…no matter how full I felt the cookies still found a place in my mouth..then stomach…then straight to my hips/butt.

That sounds so fun. Being in Utah there aren’t any half marathons in December just lame old 5k’s ;) I love the costume and I LOVE the socks!! So cute. I better start eating a cookie a day, I much prefer a cookie over an apple!! I hope you feel better!

9. Amanda says

1:48 is good in my book, especially in a dress :) I ran the half today too! Im an hour east of the race. Thought I saw you two at the start, but didnt want to be a creeper. Also sported some procompression candy cane sleeves. I ran a PR by a little over 2 min, so I’m a happy camper…redeemed myself after a disappointing run at the Santa Clarita half last month.

10. Ashley G says

I ran the Tucson Half Marathon this morning. PR’d with a 2:00:37, but just missed my goal of a sub-2. Oh well, next time!

Next Sunday I’m running the Iron Girl 10 miler here in Phoenix. I plan to take it easy and wear a holiday themed outfit. My husband but a limit on my pro compression budget (I had taken it a bit to the extreme), so I couldn’t justify the holiday socks. I did, however, pick up a pair of red/white striped knee socks with fur cuffs at Target that I’ll wear instead :)

11. Jodi says

That race looks super fun! We went to Oxnard to the Embassy Suites with my in laws when we were in CA last August and I wish I was back on the lounge chair overlooking the beach right now. I ran a 5k this morning here in Denver and have never had to run in so many layers. It was under 20 with icy patches on the course to slow us down and kill our goals. Fun times.

12. Grecia says

I ran 10 miles for the first time today but now my hip flexors (I think) hurt when I walk. Any tips to get rid of them? I foam rolled and stretched, maybe I should just keep doing this and give it time.

• Pam says

I ended up not racing. The family & I were @ Cerritos College watching my daughter’s CIF regional final football game (we won btw & we’re going to state finals this Sat!!). Anyways, didn’t get home till after midnight & we were pretty tuckered out. Good thing I didn’t pre-register!! Looking forward to 2013 race schedule!! :) :)

Yup – training runs on Saturday and Sunday; taking tentative steps to ease back into things since I tore my hip flexors 2 months ago. Yay!

You gals look cute!

14. suzie says

great job! just curious why you ran 10 miles the day before though? isnt it better to taper? or was it bc the race was just for fun?

You guys look like you had so much fun…and I’m mostly impressed that you wore tights for 13 miles. I don’t even like wearing them for 20 minutes :) I’m doing the Holly Jolly Half up that way next weekend, but luckily I have somewhere to stay the night up there to cut down the super long commute!

Hi Erin, Thanks for your concern (even though I am curious how you even know about it)…
      I tried my best to take care of it, but it didn’t work out. I’m giving her another option. However, you are not supposed to give away bibs and I would have been ridiculed for that too. Guess I can’t win, so I’m going to try and make it up to the winner another way.

<3, Monica

You looked so cute, and really fit! And you ran it fast! Hope your sore throat feels better soon. I’ve been dealing with one for a week… so not fun! Manuka honey helps… it’s super expensive, but I just use it medicinally, so it lasts forever.

17. Jen says

Do you not wear your ring for races? I stopped wearing mine during them because I’m terrified of it slipping off! I just noticed that it wasn’t on at the Vegas race and this one. I’ve heard of it happening…no fun!

Yeah, I’ve never worn it for races because my engagement ring is kinda loose. I wear my handheld water bottle on my left hand and cannot wear my rings with it. Plus, I’ve been known to just rip off my handheld at races and toss it! Dangerous.

18. Sharon Geller says

I was looking for you as I knew you would be at this race. I didn’t realize that I had seen you and skinny runner, but I was so focused on the cute costumes, that I didn’t even realize it was you! Major Fail. Hopefully I’ll meet you next year!