Pelirroja Runs

Hello! How’s it going?

Last night after dinner I went to a little bonfire because that’s what you do around here. We were out pretty late for a school night, but I’m not in school so it’s cool.image thumb2 Pelirroja Runs

This morning I set out for an easy 6 miler. Just as I was about to walk out the door without my music I decided to grab my ipod and listen to the metronome “song”. I put a 30 minute block of 180 beats per minute as one of the “songs”. So, I flipped through to that and listened to the beats for the first 30 minutes of my run. Combine the beats and the flat Florida loop and I ran 6 miles with a 8:37 pace. That’s good for me!

Coach Steve wants me to work on my form (it’s horrible) and cadence – it’s one of my big goals for this year. So, today was day 1 of focusing on foot turnover with the ‘nome.image thumb3 Pelirroja Runs

As I was walking to cool down a lady on a bike came up beside me and complimented me on my hair. Growing up in a predominately Mexican area I’m used to comments about the ‘pelirroja’ – people in grocery stores used to try and touch my head for luck! (Apparently I’m a leprechaun.)

But she just kept riding beside me telling me about her mom who had red hair and then said, “ I just wanted to tell you I love your hair, I’m not gay or anything…” <- That struck me as weird. I live in SoCal and grew up in a time and place where being gay is a complete non-issue. Either way, I thought it was random that she even said that.

My one Confession Thursday: I think I was a lot like Honey Boo-boo when I was a kid. IMG 6169 800x600 thumb Pelirroja Runs

Don’t judge. Pelo roja had it hard.

Post run I walked to Dunkin for some iced coffee action. IMG 0315 600x800 thumb Pelirroja Runs

IMG 0322 800x600 thumb Pelirroja Runs

Question: What were you like as a kid?

I WAS LOUD and talked a lot wlEmoticon smile1 Pelirroja Runs

still kinda am…

pin it button Pelirroja Runs

Comments

I was pretty shy as a kid….grew up with older twins so couldn’t get a word in edgeways! Think that stuck for a while…at least until I got to Uni. Things changed a bit then :)

Welcome to my life, sans the pelo roja. People in Florida are very strange. Especially the people that have transplanted here.

As a kid I was a tom-boy since I had two older brothers. I was tough and opinionated.

Good thing no one is at the office, you as Honey Boo Boo as a kid totally made me laugh and snort. A little. :)

I was a talker. I found my end of the year kindergarten report card and each quarter had from my teacher that “we are still working on the talking.”

I quit working on it. I just do it a lot now.

I was a little bit like Honey Boo Boo too… I was loud, bordering on obnoxious. I also tap danced down the hallways at school. Even without the shoes, it must have been annoying!

I was loud and got in trouble more at school for talking too much until 4th grade…then I guess shyness set in and I became more quiet. BUT NOT AT HOME…I was still loud at home and supposedly…”orderly”….mom always said I would be great in the army??? What?!

Now…I just have issues…ha!

6. Tara says

Bhaa, love that pic of you as a kid-seriously, rocking the visors since back in the day!!!!!!!

I was the BIGGEST tomboy. I wore the same clothes as my brother, and had the best BMX bike in the ‘hood. Super silly with family and friends, but quiet and shy around strangers.

I’m a “peli-roja” too. When I was little (like 3 or 4) and would be out at the store with my grandma, I used to tell people that I got my hair from Miss Clairol… LOL Yeah like people believed that a 3 year old had dyed hair! I always got comments when I was out and about about the pelo roja, but then I would get upset if no one commented on it too. LOL

8. cee says

The people in Pico touching your hair were probably saying pelo rojo, which would be grammatically correct (pelo is masculine). The term for redhead in Spanish is pelirrojo or pelirroja.

9. Anna says

I’m a ‘pelo roja’ too and I get compliments on my way all the time, at least once a week. I’m like an auburn with some blonde highlights. It’s all natural and people don’t believe that it is. I love being a redhead and think that its different and that’s way people compliment it, they just want to be like us!

As a kid, I had serious energy and just ran around all the time.

10. Meredith says

I’m sorry but I have to correct you: it is pelo rojO. You are feminine so you are pelirroja (adjective) but pelo is masculine so it is rojo. Sorry I’m a Spanish teacher and this is killing me.

11. Vernie says

Very quiet and shy around strangers, but very talkative and opinionated at home. :)

Interestingly enough…I’m still kinda that way. I just keep the trap shut to avoid “offending” people. Honestly, I probably sensor myself too much.

I was a very talkative kid. I remember having a ‘pink slip’ filled out and taped to my desk so all the teacher had to do was pick it up and send me to the office for talking.

I must have used up most of my word because I am a lot quieter now…or maybe because I married a talker (a red headed talker–could there be something to the red hair?).

Oh my word, my son can’t get through tourists at Disneyland without them rubbing his head like he’s a troll doll. It’s so obnoxious! And every time I wonder what I was like as a kid I just look at my oldest and shake my head and feel my mother’s pain for my “carefree” spirit that led me to be loud and dance wherever I wanted. Thank goodness I have that mostly under control now…

14. Tammi says

I, too, am a redhead…I’m very white…so I’m not sure if I’m considered a pelirroja…also was a swimmer, so my red hair was like wire…back in the day we thought swimcaps were NOT COOL! My sisters would tell me I was locked out in the rain and my hair rusted…again, NOT COOL! all my issues are their fault! :)

• Tammi says

oh, yeah, that’s an odd comment…I was once at the gym and after class I thought I recognized someone I knew (we all look different in gym clothes). I asked her “are you Gay?” (that’s her name)…again, thinking nothing of it, but I got a few odd looks from a few people nearby.

Haha like you I definitely liked to talk, and although I was very ginge at some point early on, I never got people touching my hair for good fortune :P

I often hear stories of my childhood, and how my mother always caught me on the table demolishing the fruit bowl, not such a bad story, maybe it’s where I got my good health from!

Is it weird to like another girl’s hair? How would that make someone gay? So….confused. But hey, I’d take that compliment!

I’m not anything like I was as a kid. Apparently I couldn’t shut the heck up back then. I was bold and would do anything I felt like. That social anxiety didn’t creep into me until high school!

I was very quiet and shy around anyone I didn’t know, and even people I did know for like the first hour. :) I am glad I grew out of that haha.

Peliroja y pecosa- I love it! Did you get called pecosa b/c of your freckles? (I hope I don’t annoy you with the pecosa comments.-I’m sorry if I do!) I always wished I had freckles and I love red heads.. They are so cute. You are only the 2nd Mexican I know w/red hair. I think it’s awesome. :)

19. Suzanne says

I was actually pretty quiet as a kid (opposite of my “adult” personality). I didn’t talk for a while my first year of school but when I did, the statement I made was with an attitude! I guess not much has changed since then ;)