Florida For the Long Run

Happy Saturday! How’s it going over in your yard?

This morning I woke up and snuck out early for a long run. I have big plans and needed to be done at a decent hour. 19 miles done, 9:03 pace – should have been faster considering the climate and terrain were PERFECT, but I’ll take it. image thumb6 Florida For the Long RunOne of my new Florida friends that I see every morning told me I was going to melt because I was running so much. I told him I was running 18 miles today and he told me “Wow! Good luck!”

Then, I made my last trip to DD. I walked home about 2 miles while talking to my mom about life, liberty and the pursuit… image thumb7 Florida For the Long Run

Post-run I got a tweet asking about my favorite song…image thumb8 Florida For the Long Run

It’s kinda random, but I always end up loving one song each run. Often I’ll even run eat repeat it multiple times if I feel like it’s helping me to keep going. Today the song of my run was Nicki Minaj’s Super Bass:

Oddly enough, I found this song before the Santa to the Sea and loaded it on my ipod because I thought it would be good. I heard it today and realize it is NOT a good running song so I need to delete. It’s a million years old but who doesn’t like a little Kelly from Saved By the Bell action?

Question: What’s your song of the day?

Don’t forget to follow Run Eat Repeat on Twitter too icon smile Florida For the Long Run

Comments

I know it’s not a running song, and it’s a little cheesy, but I’ve been loving “Home” by Phillip Phillips lately. For working out, Calvin Harris’ (featuring Florence from Florence of the Machines) Sweet Nothing.

Funny story: that Vertical Horizon song was on the radio when my husband and I first kissed. Strange song to have an important life memory too, but it is what it is!

I, like many other people right now, am totally digging on the new Alicia Keys’ single. I also am all about Hall of Fame by The Script.

Ok so I am obsessed with Super Bass and I ALWAYS want to listen to it during workouts but it NEVER comes on Pandora, youtube on my phone never wants to play it, and I’m too cheap to buy it. #firstworldproblems

This will sound beyond dorky, but I love to listen to songs from Glee while I run. My current favorite is a mashup of Americano & I Wanna Dance with Kate Hudson. I repeat it a few times on my long runs because it has such a good beat to it.

5. Jess says

Hi Monica, I’ve been a reader for awhile now and I cant help but wonder why you run so much? Do you really think your binges on food are ‘that bad’… maybe you should tone it down & eat less. I know when I was training for my half marathon I was HANGRY all the dang time and it really affected me. Until now. I weight train now, rarely run, and keep my meals in check and never binge. Maybe something like that would help you succeed with you weight loss goals? Not trying to be mean, but I know what running does to a person and as great as it is, sometimes it’s telling when someone is running 13-20 miles very often.

Hi Jess,
      Thanks for chiming in. I am running a lot trying to get back into marathon shape. I haven’t been binging for a long while, so I don’t think it’s related to my running (it was more related to not eating enough during the day and then being overly hungry I think, but it’s been some time now). I do think weight training and what you eat are key to losing weight, so I agree. I’m just at a place where I want to run right now. I might now be able to do it forever.

I love this answer. So many bloggers delete any comment that has a simple question or a differing thought. And you were able to give an honest answer without getting passive aggressive about it. Well done!

My husband and I just took our son to lunch at a great family friendly brewery and they played 2 of my favorite songs: Holiday in Cambodia by Dead Kennedy’s and Superstition by Stevie Wonder. I don’t regularly run with music but when I do I love Black Keys and Cage The Elephant. And lastly, Tiffany Theisen was always my partner in prenatal yoga and it was always hard not calling her Kelly…and asking her how Zack and Slater were ;) Happy Saturday!

7. Micheline says

My dad says the same thing about me melting from running, but I don’t mind anymore! Running is just plain fun so you go girl (; my favorite song is called We Come Running by Youngblood Hawke! It is amazing and PERFECT for running(:

Great job on the run! I’m loving Calvin Harris feat Florence Welsh Sweet Nothing. I ran 6 miles the other day and listened to it on repeat for at least half of the run.

I am loving….”Carry On”…. by Fun.

Nice run…so wish I could do that…my hip won’t allow for it…it “acts up” after 4-5 miles at a times. I am starting to think my doctor was right when he said my “hip bones” are not put together to withstand the jarring of running for more than 5 miles at a time.

;-(

Dislike doctors being right…sometimes.

Hahahaha my song of the day? Air Force Ones by Nelly. They did a piece on NPR this morning about the market of shoes, and ended the segment with that song. Its been playing in my head and my car all day long because of that :-)

11. Nikki says

Wow way to start 2013 with a bang!!!

I was wondering did you ever do a post or video blog on how you do your makeup? I love it!!

My song of the day is without a doubt Breezeblocks by Alt-J. I couldn’t sleep last night and ended up listening to this on repeat over and over…

13. Micaela says

Lately the Pitch Perfect soundtrack + Play Hard by David Guetta are my faves. The Fighter by Gym Class Heroes always pumps me up too!

14. Meghann says

My favorite all around song is BSB – “I want it that way” (not even embarassed a little.) But for running I like Rob Thomas’ “Let’s see how far we’ve come”

yesterday on a painful mile 9 of my 10 mile run, the theme song to biggest loser came on…I’m a BL junkie, btw…”What have you done today to make you feel proud”…this fueled the next 6 minutes of my run…I pushed through the pain, and of course my eyes fought back tears (I’m a cheeseball)…but I made it! still a bit sore in the feet today, but I think its just muscular and not an injury…

Normally, my latest fav is Beyonce’s Get Me Bodied. It’s got a great steady beat to keep my feet going! Then I pretend I’m doing the dance moves she calls out at the end! Fun fun!