This Mexican Walks into a Barre…

How’s it going?

Before I jump into today I wanted to mention dinner…tortilla soup thumb This Mexican Walks into a Barre…

Last night I took half of the Crockpot Salsa Chicken and shredded it. Then, I added my usual ingredients for Easy Tortilla Soup (minus the chicken in this pic)…tortilla soup recipe thumb This Mexican Walks into a Barre…

Put some chips in a bowl for the tortillas…chips for tortillas thumb This Mexican Walks into a Barre…

added the hot mix to make Tortilla Soup…easy tortilla soup recipe thumb This Mexican Walks into a Barre…

So, this Mexican walks into a bar…

It’s not a joke I really did.

I know as a blogger I should be doing Crossfit and baking desserts with coconut flour because that’s what all the cool kids are doing. But, I am a lady dammit.

Ha. Kidding.

The lady part is a stretch but I like group fitness classes with music and set moves. It’s just who I am… little monican cheerleader thumb This Mexican Walks into a Barre…(Is it sad that my childhood goal was to be a high school cheerleader? Yes, but at least I did it.)

So this morning I woke up before the sun and headed to my first 6am Barre class. Bri is the instructor/RER reader and she saw me at Costco one day before Christmas! How random is that? Anyway, she invited me to come check out her class at Xtend Barre in Mission Viejo. 20130116 055638 600x800 thumb This Mexican Walks into a Barre…

20130116 070148 800x600 thumb This Mexican Walks into a Barre…

I had no idea what to expect, so I was a little nervous. Turns out it was great! It’s a lot of body weight/small movements to exhaustion to work your arms, abs, glutes and quads. I liked it and will be back.

image thumb33 This Mexican Walks into a Barre…

(Photography courtesy of SkinnyRunner.com)

After the class I ran an easy 3 miler around the neighborhood. It is gorgeous but chilly out so I was glad to get out and back in just about 28 minutes.

20130116 074043 800x600 thumb This Mexican Walks into a Barre…

In Make-My-Day News: I got a ton of Tweets and Messages this morning that Dunkin Donuts is coming to California!!! I love that you guys thought of me and reached out. You made my day wlEmoticon smile10 This Mexican Walks into a Barre…IMG 4635 600x800 thumb This Mexican Walks into a Barre…

IOU a Joke because of the title of this post…

Q: How many Mexicans does it take to change a light bulb?

A: Just Juan.

Question: Do you like Group Fitness classes? Why/why not?

I love Zumba and it’s been too long since I’ve went. Speaking of… I really want to go out salsa dancing – I’ve never done that!!

pin it button This Mexican Walks into a Barre…

Comments

I’m not really into group fitness classes, but I think I’d like one like the Barre class that works your legs, butt, and core!
    I think I mostly don’t like group classes because I like working out on my own schedule.
    Happy Wednesday!

Same here! It’s mainly coz I’m prety much a klutz and unccordinated and typically have a hard time keeping up with the moves. Plus I’m vain, so looking like an elephant dancing in the studio is so not on. :)

About group fitness classes……..lol. When I go to the gym I secretly scope out whatever class is going on and then make mental notes of the ones I will NEVER EVER EVER go to (generally the ones that involve any type of dancy kind of movements).

I’m curious about Barre, but I don’t have any dance training so I think I’d be too embarassed to try it. Which is ironic, since I love Zumba! (Although the instructor and their style makes a huge difference). Way to go you for trying something new!

I love group fitness classes! I actually teach Zumba. It’s so much fun! I’ve been wanting to try a barre class. They sound like fun!

5. Melissa K says

I love group fitness classes! So much so that I’ve been teaching them since 2001. I think I’ve taught them all at one point or another; step, Pilates, weights, Zumba, etc… I’ve made so many great friends and contacts from my classes. As my daughter says when we are out and bump into one of my participants “Mom, you know EVERYONE!”

I love group fitness classes. Actually having a time and place to go to actually motivates me to work out. And gotta love the music too. I just started up Zumba again and forgot how much I loved it. And I just found a barre place around here and was thinking of trying out a class. I might just check it out one of these days. The cross fit deal just doesn’t seem appealing to me. I feel like I’d be a klutz and let that huge barbell fall on my toes… LOL

7. ina says

Love barre. love the burn. hate the burn but burn is change. :-) i love group classes…it motivates and pushes you all at the same time with people of all fitness ranges.

I truly LOVE group fitness classes but it’s so disappointing when the instructor isn’t good. :(

And a joke for you:
    Q – How many psychiatrists does it take to change a light bulb?
    A – Just one but the light bulb has got to WANT to change. Bwaahahahaha.

• denesse says

No, you don’t HAVE TO. Like everything else, do what you want. But crossfit is intense and amazing. i love it.

9. Jenn says

I like group fitness classes but rarely go because I don’t belong to a gym. They just opened up a spin studio by my house and you can pay by the class so that’s always a nice alternative to running. I would love to try to do BodyPump at some point, but right now Jillian’s 30 day shred (twice a week) is about all I can handle! SO WEAK!

I am SO upset that we don’t have any barre studios in upstate NY. I guess it’s a fair trade off. We have DD, you have barre classes.

Thanks so much for coming this morning! You did great! For real, I couldn’t tell you were nevous at all, you looked like a regular. Next time I’ll have to get a photo of you and SR together with your legs shaking. We’ll do the back to barre chair pose . . . . :-)

12. Tara says

I like group fitness when I need to be motivated/pushed. I will never walk out of a class, but I will easily shorten my workout on my own if I am not feeling it. So, that is why I love groupies!

13. Tara says

Oh, and that is what I LOVE about your blog-I dont read the same workouts, recipes, free workout clothes that sooo many other bloggers post about. And you so funny (and cute!)

14. NCrunnergirl says

Love love Zumba-that’s actually what got my body cardio-ready for running. The group I do Zumba with includes the most fabulous set of women I know. I think that makes the difference. I did barre today too. We do it every Wednesday and follow it with a good yoga session.

Group classes are the best! Group running is the best! I have such a hard time talking myself into working out by myself. I went to my first barre class last week. My upper body and abs (that I tend to never work out) were super sore for 3 days, but my legs weren’t that sore. I definitely want to try it again.

OMG so funny that you posted this today because this morning I just went to my first barre class too! It is no joke. If I had not been taking yoga every week for a year as well as strength train in the gym, I would have died. I wasn’t ‘the best’ but at least I mostly kept up. The teacher kept saying ‘nice shaking’ to everyone that quivered…Definitely going back as well!

I love group fitness! Nothing is more motivating than a high energy instructor and the commitment you hold to a class is sometimes more than you may hold to yourself. I usually workout more often when I know it’s a 5:30 Spin class rather than just “I’ll go running at some point today”

I don’t think I’d ever get a good workout if I didn’t go to group fitness classes. I love them. I just started going to 30/60/90 at Equinox and I also love Inside/Out which is also a barre class.

You look absolutely adorable in that cheerleading pic!

I like group exercise class, but going to the first one (alone) is always soooo daunting and intimidating for me! I want to get back to Zumba and body attack as well because I used to go 3/4 times a week!

Ok that kiddo photo of you is too cute.

I love group fitness classes like spin or kick boxing – the kind at the real boxing gym where you get the pound the heck out of a heavy bag and kick it so hard it breaks off and falls to the ground. Yup that actually did happen once, I’m pretty hard core. That or they didn’t secure it very well, whatever. Who am I kidding I can’t hardly waddle down the hall to the bathroom right now…

21. jennifer says

I LOVE group fitness classes! I like having someone tell me what to do. I did barre class once and it was awesome. I found a studio that does barre a few times a week but I don’t wanna pay a monthly fee. I wanna try zumba sometime in the near future

Can’t say I love group fitness classes, I always feel too uncoordinated and have this paranoid feeling that everyone else in the class is secretly making fun of my moves. It’s stupid, of course no one cares. I just need to keep telling myself that.

I can’t remember the last time I have gone to a group fitness class. I was going to start back in the fall and then had an injury. I’m thinking this spring will be a good time to add in group classes again. No matter how much I enjoy working out – always more fun with others!!

I swear by group fitness! I guess I’m a little biased since I’m an instructor (Cycle and bootcamp) but I am so convinced that they have been HUGELY instrumental in getting me across the finish line. It’s so important to cross train and group x is a fun way to do it!

I do like group fitness classes. I love to do something different plus I think that they push me to try harder because I’m naturally competitive! I haven’t tried a Barre Class because they are so damn expensive.

I wanted to be a Cheerleader, too! Strictly for social reasons. I choked at tryouts….

I’ve always, always stayed away from group fitness- I like my exercise time to be my time. I did, though, start going to a yoga studio 1-3 times a week about 15 months ago and I love it (maybe because of the emphasis on focusing on yourself, haha). I like that yoga’s not flashy and the emphasis that is put on not comparing yourself to others.

I feel like an uncoordinated fool in fitness classes.

Although, I remember about 50 pounds ago when I took a kickboxing class. I had already lost over 40 pounds at that point and the instructor loved telling me how it looked like I was melting each week. Then the class got cancelled and we moved so we went to a new gym and I haven’t been to a good class since. I’ve tried other ones, but nothing has made me feel the same way.

I would LOVE to try a barre class. I just moved to the middle of nowhere though so the chances of that happening are slim. Also, sad story… I’ve never had DD coffee!!! I want to try it so bad but in Oregon we don’t have DD. When I went to Florida I never got to try it so I was pretty mad. One dayyyyyy.

I used to do group classes before I started running. I’ve tried Zumba and wasn’t the biggest fan–probably because I have absolutely no rhythm. I would like to attend a yoga class though…that could be fun :)

I did Crossfit, and basically got yelled at that my squats effing suck… trainer’s words, not mine. Ha, but they really do suck. My hippys don’t want to get low. I also have no rhythm, so I am just not the best at group fitness. I’m an antisocial workout biotch. Go me.

I loved barre when I went last year (I grew up a dancer and gymnast) and then my work schedule changed and then I couldn’t go. Boo! Glad you liked it!

I love group fitness classes, I get such a better workout than just trying to do something myself or alone in my house to a video. I recently committed myself to PiYo and absolutely love it. I also just tried my first zumba and spinning class this last week. Zumba is fun but I felt a little silly because I didn’t know what was going on completely and I’m not a great dancer.

33. Victoria says

I love group fitness! I think it helps us get through the days we really don’t feel like working out! Also, you have someone there to motivate you along the way.

34. Elyse says

I had no clue you were so close to where I live. I live in RSM :) that barre class sure looks like fun! I’m starting my journey to lose 120 pounds. It’s been a week and I’ve lost 5 pounds. So I’m pretty proud of that :) thanks for being so inspirational!