Just the Tip: Chapstick with SPF

Hello and happy Tuesday!

I started my day with a great tempo run – the first 2 miles were sub 8s! Who am I?

I was lost in my thoughts about something and didn’t even realize I was going that fast.  Now I’m over it and I had a great run! Done and done.

The bad news is my Garmin’s history is full so it shut down at mile 3. #Fail I need to upload my data so I can clear it asap.

Just the Tip: I try to ‘be good’ about wearing sunscreen on long runs. But, we often forget about our lips. Muah! IMG 20130409 072141 530x530 thumb Just the Tip: Chapstick with SPF

Don’t forget to use a chapstick with spf too. I use this kind for running, but it’s not great day to day. I live in a super dry climate so I need a lot of moisture. I use soft lips or Neutrogena when I’m not running.

IMAG1200 800x450 thumb Just the Tip: Chapstick with SPF

you know just wondering Just the Tip: Chapstick with SPF

Question: Do you have chapstick with spf?

Comments

I use the EOS lip balms.
    I love them.
    But they don’t have SPF.
    Darnit.
    You are so right though.
    I def forget my lips.
    Actually my whole body.
    Bad very bad.
    I need to do better!

I like to use the Chapstick brand while running but really anything with SPF will do. When not running I always use Vaseline in addition to SPF chapsticks.

I use Burt’s Bees with pomegranate oil (I don’t like the peppermint kind). Never really thought about using lip balm with SPF. I just assumed that some sunscreen will soak into my lips when I’m applying it to my face. It totally works like that, right?

The only real “chapstick” is vasoline! When I was on Accutane (which make your lips into alligator skin), the only thing that helped was vasoline and now I can’t use anything else. I pick up the squeezie tubes of it at Target for $.99.

Granted, there is no SPF, but vasoline has some natural sun protection properties and moisturizes your lips (or any skin!! I also use it on regged cuticles) like none other.

5. Denise says

I have a couple that I use. Softlips (I think spf is 8 or 15), Kiehls (but I don’t like the only spf 15 is unflavored), and one other one. I always use the ones with sunscreen because I get cold sores if I’m out in the sun too long and don’t keep them covered by spf. It’s lame and not pretty.

I use Chapstick brand that only has an SPF 4, lame. I didn’t know that Banana Boat made higher SPF chapstick, I’m totally going to have to get some of that when it finally decides to become summer here in Minneapolis!

It’s cliche, but I do love me some cherry chapstick. It’s really low on the SPF (if it has any at all) but I’ve got the issue of also having dry lips and sometimes the high SPF ones dry me out like a mother…anyway. The search continues!

It seems whenever I start using chapstick, I can’t stop! I don’t use an SPF one unless that Vasoline lip therapy stuff has SPF. I’ll have to check.

I wear Blistex with SPF 15 daily… Confession: I currently have ten sticks of it, as well as a half dozen sticks of a generic brand (non-SPF) and a stick of original Chapstick. I think I may have a problem.

10. Tara says

True story…since I wear the SPF chapstick all the time (outdoor workouts, to the beach) I get freckles on my lips. (I have freckles anyway, but to see them on my lips…strange. Better than burning those precious little things though!)

11. Shannon in Tustin says

I keep one (Neutrogena with SPF) in my Nathan water bottle zip pouch so I’m never without on the long runs. On shorter runs (without water bottles), I always put some one before I head out the door.

Tip Tuesday on the Garmin data: you must upload the data to your computer and THEN delete the data from the device. Two different steps…I failed at the stupid touch bezel and had to take mine to REI where the super helpful peeps did it for me.

Good luck Speedy Monican. :)

I always use chapstick with SPF because burnt lips is the worst feeling ever and I am known to fry. The Gap makes one that comes in lots of fun flavors and there’s a Burt’s Bees with SPF too.

13. Emina says

Hi Monica, I have a wierd question and it is not related to this post at all, but I was wonering while reading your blg lately…
    Is everything allroght with you and Ben? You don’t mention him anymore…

Sorry if I was being noisy

PS. The last races… You absolutley rocked! That gives me hope!

14. Amanda says

I am a Chapstick hoarder. I love Burt’s Bees and rosebud salve for day to day. For running I love mission skincare lip balm with SPF (don’t remember the rating) it lasts forever.

I wear sunscreen like it is my religion. I always use a lip balm with SPF but it doesn’t last so I have to keep reapplying it. Maybe my lips are addicted to it.

16. Christina says

I had no idea you could or were suppose to clear out your Garmin… mine has like 2 years worth of runs stored in it… oops! better look into that :)

I wear lip balm with SPF on a daily basis. I have sensitive skin though, so I have to be careful about what brand I use. The only one that I’ve found that works for me is from The Body Shop.

I love Eos and Burt’s Bees! But, like you said, I forget about my lips when I’m running and I don’t think either of those have spf :/

Since when does socal have a dry climate? Or did you secretly move somewhere else? Or have I been visiting the wrong place all these years? Hmm…might be that last option…:P

Oh noes! Sunburned lips are a huge bummer. I definitely use lip balm with SPF for my runs. I love the Say Yes to Carrots lip balm with SPF when I can find it, but I’ve also picked up a few tubes of various brands at my local running store that do the job. I hope your lips get better quickly!

20. Berrie Taylor says

Please stop using all of those chemical laden lip balms to protect your lips. The chemicals and artificial ingredients are seeping through your pores and going into your bloodstream. You need to user an all natural lip balm like Buddha Balm (www.buddhabalm.com) that has an all natural SPF (zinc oxide). Once you use an amazing product like Buddha Balm, you will not only be using something that is safer, but you will notice that its a better experience and it will work much better. Give it a try.

21. Scott says

I used to participate in an activity that pretty much had me outside all day, every day, all summer long, as well as having to take care of our lips (playing brass instruments). We swore by DCT by Blistex (http://www.blistex.com/products/dct). It’s SPF 20 and works amazingly well. I still use it before I go out for every run.