How To Wash Running Shoes

Hello! I finally feel normal again today!!! Thank 8lb 6oz tiny little baby Jesus! I am so grateful just to feel like a human again wlEmoticon smile6 How To Wash Running Shoes

This morning I actually went on a run – the first ‘real’ run since the 50k this weekend!

IMG 20130523 080736 800x800 thumb How To Wash Running Shoes

I’m still tight, need a massage – anyone up for it? I’ll trade you some eggs for some quad rubs. Anyone?

IMG 20130523 083902 800x800 thumb How To Wash Running Shoes

wash it up How To Wash Running Shoes

Confession: I NEVER wash my running shoes. I don’t have to because I have only run on paved sidewalks in the past.

But my shoes were disgusting after the BTR trail race and I really needed to do something. Plus, they’re not that old so I was kinda bummed that they were so thrashed.

So, I decided to stop being a cochina for once and actually wash my running shoes. When I tweeted a pic of them a few peeps asked how to do it so here is the deal…

How to Wash Running Shoes

1. Get dirty. Preferably at a trail race.

IMAG3703 800x450 thumb How To Wash Running Shoes

2. Take off your shoes. Remove inserts and set aside.

IMAG3948 800x450 thumb How To Wash Running Shoes

IMAG3951 800x450 thumb How To Wash Running Shoes

3. HAND wash shoes with a mild soap. Don’t throw them in the washing machine as this may cause them to get stretched out.

I used dish soap and a rag (you can use a gentle detergent or similar).

IMAG3957 800x450 thumb How To Wash Running Shoes

4. Stuff shoes with newspaper to dry.IMAG3963 800x450 thumb How To Wash Running Shoes

5. When completely dry put insoles back in. Lace up and go.

IMAG4029 800x450 thumb How To Wash Running Shoes

Vegas plays this game called, “I haven’t slept here yet”.

I looked over this morning to find him like this…

IMG 20130523 085021 800x800 thumb How To Wash Running Shoes(RunEatRepeat on Instagram)

Question: Have you ever washed your workout shoes?

This was my first time because I’m a cochina of America.

Comments

1. Jen says

Why didn’t you use the “Stuffits” you were sent on 3/19 to dry the shoes? They seem like a better substitute for the newspapers.

I thought Stuffits were designed for odor and the moisture from sweaty feet – not a full on wash. Maybe I’m wrong. Stuffits are great, but not everyone has them, so the newspaper is a little more user friendly :) Thanks for chiming in!

I’ve never washed my shoes because I usually only run on the sidewalk, when I get a new pair of shoes the old pair gets demoted to hiking shoes but I don’t feel very compelled to clean my hiking shoes because they’ll just get messy on the next hike. Sorry if i’m gross.

I’ve washed my Vibram Fivefingers cause those get pretty smelly! Unless I go run in the mud and dirt, my other running shoes usually stay pretty clean and not smelly, so I don’t wash them.

Did a mud run last summer and had to wash my shoes! Thank goodness I wore old shoes! First I sprayed them with a garden hoes and then I threw them in the washing machine. Don’t tell my mom. Sit to try. Newspaper is such a good idea though, I’ll remember for this year!!

5. Erika says

I did a mudrun back in April in some shoes that I would have liked to use again but I didn’t really do a good job washing them. All I did was rinse them with the hose and leave them outside…they’re actually still out there. They weren’t my usual workout shoes though so that’s probably why I haven’t been in any hurry to go get them.

Glad you’re feeling better!

Vegas is adorable!

As a matter a fact I cleaned my shoes yesterday. I have this fancy shoe cleaner in a orange can that has a scrubber attached. It did a fabulous job, they look brand new :)

7. Rachel says

Are those the insoles that came with the shoes? What insoles would you recommend? (I have high arches)

My cat does the same thing. She finds the oddest places to sleep..once we found her in this tiny shoebox..how she fit in that thing (or got the lid off?) beats me!

I also wanted to ask a huge favor of you! I am currently one of the finalists in the Brooks My First Half Sweepstakes and am trying to win a trip to the Vegas Rock N’ Roll Half Marathon in order to complete my first 1/2 marathon ever!!! If you could check out my story and vote for me I would be soooo freakin grateful!! Here is the link and thank you so much!

I’m far too lazy to wash my running shoes but this is good information because I would have probably just tossed them in the washing machine.

I’ve “washed” mine a few times because of a mud run or just a particularly muddy trail session. I say washed, but really I just hosed them down outside and then let them dry. Perfecto! I found my ginger kitty sleeping in one of my plants this morning…..right on top of the poor plant.

11. Rachel K says

You can put them in the dishwasher – just make sure to take them out before the heat/drying cycle comes on. Did it once, worked great!

I just beat them together the way you beat an old rug. A lot less work and I keep a little of the BTR kharma in my shoes. 2014 Registration just opened today. Are you in, or in the way? I’ll be gunning for you next year.

i have honestly never washed my workout shoes. never. haha. but my hiking shoes do need a good washing after the muddy trek at Blend. I think the method you showed would clean them right up too :)

14. Shannon in Tustin says

Timely post! Most of my shoes are medium-dark grey and really show zero dirt. BUT I recently got a pair of very, light grey (way to step out of my comfort zone, huh?) shoes and they are getting very dirty right where the laces start in the toe box area. So odd…

Anyway, I will definitely try this method this weekend! Thank you. :D

Interesting. Good to know. After the color run I washed mine in the washer. Didn’t get stretched out luckily. :) Vegas is just adorbs!

As often as I workout and run, I have NEVER washed my shoes. As easy as this is with just dish soap and a rag, I should probably do it…but I honestly probably won’t…lol. :)

Lucky you! Mud and I go together like peas and carrots! I wear my dirty girl shoes when I know I’m going to get especially dirty! Oh ya! Great post though! I wasn’t doing it correct! ;)

I had to wash my Asics after I ran the North Face Endurance Challenge Marathon. It was a trail run and we had to run through a few muddy streams. My relatively new shoes were filthy, and scrubbing them with Oxiclean worked wonders on them! :-)

since i run all winter and they use a good bit of salt/brine on the roads here, i do occasionally wash my shoes to get the sediment off/out of them. after removing the insoles (if possible) i put the shoes in a mesh garment bag and then toss them in the washer. then just air dry upside down on a drying rack to finish the process. no probs thus far!

20. Sarah G. says

I love that pic of Vegas! I don’t wash my running shoes because, like you, I’m always on paved surfaces or a treadmill. However, I’ll be doing a Spartan Race for the first time this July, and I can only imagine what my shoes will look like after that…