Rock N Roll San Diego Marathon Recap

Rock N’ Roll San Diego Marathon done and done. (And I’m glad it’s over!)

IMG 20130602 113515 800x800 thumb Rock N Roll San Diego Marathon Recap

The full marathon started at 6:15am so I had a ridic early wake up call. RIDIC. Luckily we scored awesome parking and it was a short walk to the shuttles.

IMAG4393 800x450 thumb Rock N Roll San Diego Marathon Recap

IMAG4394 800x450 thumb Rock N Roll San Diego Marathon Recap

Pre-race, all smiles.

IMG 20130602 060109 800x800 thumb Rock N Roll San Diego Marathon Recap

Rock N’ Roll San Diego Full Marathon thoughts

The corrals were nicely organized and easy to get into. There were a lot of porta potties, but there are also A LOT of people. So the lines were long, but that’s to be expected. Everything seemed well organized from my POV.

The course was okay. We ran through Little Italy and cute areas, but there is still a few miles on the freeway and it’s slanted so that kinda sucks. My legs were tired coming off BTR 2 weeks ago and Laguna Hills Half on Monday. So the slant hurt my IT band area/knees.

There was a long hill at mile 21 and it killed me. Yes. Killed. I’m actually writing this blog post from Heaven. Luckily there’s calorie free fro-yo here, so I’m in a better place. RIP Monican.

running rock n roll san diego 600x800 thumb Rock N Roll San Diego Marathon Recap

I walked a lot of that hill at 21 and really felt like crap about myself. I haven’t walked in a race in a long time, so it was defeating. After the race I text Marathon Train Steve about it and he gave me some words of wisdom. Steve for the win. Always.

IMG 20130602 144325 800x800 thumb Rock N Roll San Diego Marathon Recap

Skinny Runner ran with me most of the race even though I told her to give up on me. She is very nice. I am um, how do I put this? Um, less nice. So I got a little unpleasant when I hit the wall. YES. I hit the wall. It’s been a while since I violently slammed into a brick wall during a race and today was that day.

running rock n roll san diego marathon 800x600 thumb Rock N Roll San Diego Marathon Recap

Final time: 3:45:13

IMG 20130602 102401 800x800 thumb Rock N Roll San Diego Marathon Recap

It wasn’t my best day since I walked a lot, but I can’t be ashamed of that time. So I’m going to take from it what I can…

Lessons learned from this race:

1. I need to give myself more time to recover if I want to run a strong race. I can run a lot of races but I can’t run a lot of them fast or strong when my legs are tired.

2. Still need to work on my hydration. I was very thirsty today.

3. The drive south from OC to San Diego is crazy with traffic, but I LOVE that area. I would consider moving there. Or running more races in San Diego as an excuse to head south wlEmoticon smile Rock N Roll San Diego Marathon Recap

Post Race I grabbed some Chocolate Milk to REFUEL. I love it.

IMAG4420 BURST002 COVER 450x800 thumb Rock N Roll San Diego Marathon Recap

Elvis loves it too. All of them. Wonder if they pair it with a fried PB&Banana sandwich?

IMAG4416 450x800 thumb Rock N Roll San Diego Marathon Recap

I met reader Sarah after the race!

IMAG4417 450x800 thumb Rock N Roll San Diego Marathon Recap

Hello to my other new friends – Eric, Carolina, Katie and Running Joe the amazing vet who runs with two flags at every race! I unofficially met Joe Laguna Hills Half and have seen him at a ton of races. Now we go way back! It’s amazing what you learn about someone over a few miles. He has run from CA to TX. WOW!

I’m lucky that so many peeps want to be my fren even though I do stuff like this… I don’t know.

IMAG4421 450x800 thumb Rock N Roll San Diego Marathon Recap

After the race we headed to EAT. We ended up at Swami’s Café in Oceanside.

12 4F9CB430 1059370 960 100 800x450 thumb Rock N Roll San Diego Marathon Recap

You order at the counter and they bring the food out to you. IMAG4437 800x450 thumb Rock N Roll San Diego Marathon Recap

It’s all outside / patio seating. 12 4FAACBB1 1005210 960 100 800x450 thumb Rock N Roll San Diego Marathon Recap

Food blogger busted! Caught in the middle of taking pictures by SR. taking pictures of the restaurant 600x800 thumb Rock N Roll San Diego Marathon Recap

The menu is awesome! Tons of delicious and healthy sounding options. I went with a veggie omelet, fruit and a huge pancake. IMAG4442 800x450 thumb Rock N Roll San Diego Marathon Recap

Then, I relaxed in the backseat on the way home. I brought some ProCompression socks to help with recovery. image thumb2 Rock N Roll San Diego Marathon Recap

Overall: I had a great time! I never know what to expect on race day and I love that I met a new friend, spent some QT with a few old friends and learned a few lessons along the way. Thank you!

IMAG4449 800x450 thumb Rock N Roll San Diego Marathon Recap

Now I’m taking it easy. Easy like a Sunday Morning.

Random. I know.

Comments

Awesome race! It looks like you had fun despite your struggles with the mile 21 hill. Completing a marathon in itself is a huge accomplishment! We all have to slow down sometimes :)

Oh Monican u r inspiring – my first marathon in Edinburgh didn’t go to plan (and yeah, I also walked) but your blog demonstrates to me that perserverance and hardwork means that I will, maybe, one day achieve my goals. Well done.

3. Gillian says

Ahh. That hill went on forever!!! It owned me. I was also very thirsty today. I was ahead of the 3:55 pacer running 8:45 avg and then I was defeated. Never recouped after the hill. Finished 3:56. Had a fun weekend in San Diego! Great job on the race post 50K!

I totally know the feeling of slamming into a wall! I still have yet to NOT walk in a full marathon (I have done 4 and needed to walk, at least through aid stations, in all of them).
    Glad you still made it through with a killer time!

Great job, I was out there today as well, and also hit the wall. That hill kicked my butt, as I powered myself over it once I was up and over thought that was a mistake, i should of just cruised over it.

Really need to amp up the training so I dont go thru this as well for LBC in October.

Great site keep up the good work.

6. Laura says

Wow, congrats on your marathon! For being still tired from your last couple of races you still did awesome!! I hope to be like that when I run my first marathon, way to go!

7. Jennifer C. says

Congrats on the finish! I’m glad I wasn’t the only one to feel a bit defeated after that race. I walk / ran the hill too! First time walking in a race in a LONG time. But hey, we finished so I guess we won after all . I actually ended up in medical post race for the first time ever.

8. Andrea says

Congrats on finishing the race! Better to walk some than to give up. Also, I’m from that area and the Swami’s you ate at is actually in Encinitas although there is one in Oceanside, but I’m pretty sure that’s the original one.. there are 3.

Coming in at 3:45 and you walked? That’s friggin awesome! I learnt some time back it doesn’t matter if you ran all the way, run-walk, jog etc so long as you get to the finish line.

10. Lorin says

I love Swami’s! It’s actually in Encinitas/Leucadia. I grew up in Carlsbad, San Diego is a wonderful place!

I’m so glad you made the statement about recovery. It is so true. Even if you’re trying to race 5ks every weekend eventually your legs get tired and ask for rest. Great job pushing through and you’re so blessed to have so many running friends!

Awesome Race. You are running like crazy! 50 miler then a full! Good Grief! I haven’t ran a full yet, my first will be October 27th STL RNR. But I’ve done halfs and the best feeling I’ve ever had was eating after finishing a race. That feeling of you truly don’t feel guilty for a dang thing you eat and you’re filled with a sense of accomplishment. Ahh… I can’t wait to have that feeling after a FULL!

13. Lora says

Yesterday’s RNR San Diego was my very first marathon! You have inspired me throughout my training with your blogs and humor and realness! Thank you! Today was an amazing experience!

I’m sorry you didn’t feel to strong in your race, that still looks like a great time. I have only done two races but feel like I was able to take something away from each race to help in preparing for the next one.

Congrats on another fab race! I so understand the walking part but you totally did amazing AND just ran some hard races like a few days ago – you rock. I never say “rock” but that was the word that came to mind. Treat yourself to some watermelon.-Hydrate.

16. MartinaNYC says

3:45 after running a half last Monday, 50K two weeks ago AND walking part of it? No kidding, you’re my hero! So inspiring!

You are a rockstar!! Congrats on doing a marathon after all the running you’ve been doing lately. Who cares if you walked some?! It’s great that our bodies are strong and healthy enough to do such physical events.

I did a half on Saturday and made sure to #keepittight with my ProCompression socks afterward as well. Love them for recovery!

Dang, girl! Yet again, you and SR have done an amazing job just putting me to shame/inspiring the crap out of me in such a huge way! Way to go on the marathon – bummer about hitting the wall, but like you said, you just learn from it and move forward. Good luck resting up and kicking booty on the next race!

20. Rhett says

Give yourself a break on the hydration front, the weather was once again what I call “sneakily humid”: felt cool and was overcast for seemingly perfect running weather, but it was actually pretty humid and had me sweating up a storm by mile 2 of the half. You needed more hydration than it seemed like you should.

We ate the Carlsbad Swami’s after the race. I had the awesome sweet potato and pecan pancakes that came with some of the best bacon I’ve ever eaten!

Congrats on a fab race, even if it was a bit rough! It’s not about always being perfect, but it is about finishing strong, and 3:45 is a strong time.

22. Joyce says

HEYYY!!! I was there too, but I didn’t see you this time. Maybe cuz i ran the half cuz I’m only half as cool as you. hehe… at least the weather was pretty good. You’ll kill it on the next race for sure! Bad races happen to all of us. Thing is to keep on going right. :)

You and SR are awesome! So inspiring. :) I ran the half and after hearing some mixed reviews about the event I was a lil nervous about the logistics but I ended up having a great first time experience!! Minus the 3:30 am wake up call. Blaaa!

Congratulations! I feel your pain… I haven’t walked a course in a long time. I agree with the comment on “sneaky hot or humid”. I was cold waiting, but warmed up almost too fast and couldn’t slow down enough on those first downhills making for some scary thoughts at the start of a race. Anyways, this course was really tough. I’m from out of town and expected hills but the elevation map did not convey that 163 as the mountain it was. Not my best race, but happy with hanging on for under 4 given the circumstances. For your readers, I wouldn’t say this is not a PR course, but if you just want a destination race, this will fit the bill. Just adjust or set goal times accordingly. I would come back just for the half.

Pros included the chocolate milk at the finish and organized gear check.

Best of luck to you on your next races!