Watermelon Carving and Running and Eating

{Disclaimer: Please don’t try and carve a watermelon while you are running or eating.}

You may have heard a little rumor that I am the wildest gun in the wilderness best watermelon slicer around.

Guilty as charged.

Exhibit A: My watermelon cutting video.

Exhibit B: My instagram watermelon skills.

image thumb37 Watermelon Carving and Running and Eating

Unfortunately the artistic gene skipped me and I am not a talented watermelon carver. But if you are, The Watermelon Board is having a Watermelon Carving contest from now until August 4th.

Look at this “Vegas” watermelon! Love.

vegas as a watermelon thumb Watermelon Carving and Running and Eating

There are 5 categories and 1st, 2nd, 3rd place for each – so it’s a fun lil project with potential for prizes! And even if your carving won’t be featured at MOMA you still get to eat the watermelon. Win win winnermelon.

Go here to fill out the form and submit a pic of your watermelon carving.

watermelon lego carving thumb Watermelon Carving and Running and Eating

In other fun food news: The Watermelon Board is a sponsor of the Marine Corps Marathon and will be handing out samples of the sweet stuff at the expo and post-race!!! If you are running be sure to stop by the booth (before I eat it all).

I am running the race as part of my partnership with the board. And I know what you’re thinking – Yes, I think they’re just tricking me to go out there and cut the watermelon for 50,000 people. Hey, someone’s gotta do it.

image thumb38 Watermelon Carving and Running and Eating

It’s about time running and watermelon have an official partnership! I’ve always known they were a match!

Why watermelon and running?

Um. Because it’s awesome.

But there’s also science.

Most of us associate bananas with being a good ‘runner’s food’ because it’s high in potassium, but so is watermelon. And watermelon also is 92% water to help rehydrate you. That means 2 cups of watermelon gives ya something like 1.5 cups of water.

I looked this up on Calorie King: Watermelon and Banana stats for comparable serving sizes.

image thumb39 Watermelon Carving and Running and Eating

Nice.

Question: Are you artistic?

I’m not. Obviously RER is my only creative outlet and that’s saying something…

Disclaimer: This post is brought to you by my love of watermelon and the Watermelon Board. All opinions are my own.

pin it button Watermelon Carving and Running and Eating

Comments

Love this! We have been on a huge watermelon kick this summer and I’m always thrilled when I can cut one up without injuring myself in the process. Watermelon has been one of my favorite post-run/workout snacks this summer!

I’m pretty sure I couldn’t carve a Watermelon like that if my life depended on it. I’m pretty crafty and have some good scrapbooking/card making talents (nerd alert) but I don’t think that would translate to fruit and knives but hey you never know.

I don’t have one little artistic bone in my body! But I am a hardcore watermelon lover too. What a nice post race snack!

I love this post! So cheerful, and I love the disclaimer. You had a tough week comment-wise – I feel for ya. By the way, you look creative simply by posting all those pics of others creativity! Nice job.

I am not very artistic. I don’t have the patience for it….

Ellie B

Disclaimer: This comment is brought to you by Double Trouble Running, who don’t actively promote watermelon consumption but do appreciate it. We are more chocolate people over here.

Thanks for the watermelon and banana nutrition info. My fave rehydration drink is coconut water, but now I think a watermelon, coconut water and banana smoothie would be amazing – I think I’ll go for it.

6. Teresa says

It’s so cool that you’ve teamed up with the watermelon board. Can’t wait to hear your review of Marine Corps Marathon!

7. Tina says

So so stoked that you are running the Marine Corps Marathon. This is the race I have picked for my first full marathon. Not this year, but sometime. Can’t wait for your recap of that race.

Not artistic in the least – but I do have a healthy watermelon craving, I guess that counts for something, right ;) ? I actually just devoured quarter of a watermelon as afternoon snack and enjoyed how it cooled me down in this heat. Happy to hear that it is great runners fuel too!

9. Nikki says

Love both fruits!

Y you no share your eyeliner tips yet? We have all been asking for the past year..all you share is your love for watermelon :-(

I am not necessarily artistic, but I am creative. Just not in the same way artists look at creativity. I have to problem-solve a lot, and that requires more creativity than most people think. It doesn’t have the same physical appearance or outlet, though.

11. Katie says

The MCM will be my first marathon and I’m so nervous! Training through this heat wave has been tough! Thank goodness there will be watermelon at the finish line. I cannot think of anything more delicious after a race! :D