No Running, Just Eating

Happy Thursday! Today is one of my day’s off from running so I started my day with a nice lil walk. I usually run a max of 5 days a week for rest and injury prevention.

image thumb45 No Running, Just Eating

Since I’m not talking running let’s talk eating! There are a ton of “what should I eat when training for a half marathon” kinda searches and since I have a half marathon this weekend I thought I’d share a full day of eats from yesterday:

Before I went for a run I had half of this green smoothie. It had ice, almond milk, TJ’s green super powder and frozen mango

green smoothie drink 450x800 thumb No Running, Just Eating

Breakfast – eggs and toast with Laughing Cow and jam.

eggs and toast after a run 800x800 thumb No Running, Just Eating

(RunEatRepeat on Instagram)

Then, I had some clementines and my Peanut Protein Cookies with iced coffee with Silk almond milk and stevia.

clementines and cookies 450x800 thumb No Running, Just Eating

I made this batch of cookies with cranberries. Delicious!

peanut butter protein cookies with cranberries 450x800 thumb No Running, Just Eating

Note: I use vanilla whey protein powder for this recipe and it’s a good, sweet powder. If you use a so-so powder they don’t come out as well as the powder is a sub for sugar. It has to be sweet.

Lunch! I had my usual massive mixing bowl salad. No picture, but I did happen to weigh my chicken yesterday. This was 5.2 oz. I baked a bunch of chicken breasts at the beginning of the week and was curious how big they were.

chicken on salad for lunch 450x800 thumb No Running, Just Eating

Afternoon snack – Greek yogurt with frozen mango and granola and nuts. I am obsessed with frozen mango right now.

At some point I snacked on Sabra and carrots. This is practically a daily occurrence that I always forget to note.

sabra snack 800x450 thumb No Running, Just Eating

Dinner was the Chile Relleno Casserole and a salad.

chile relleno casserole 450x800 thumb No Running, Just Eating

And I ate dark chocolate while watching Honey Boo Boo and planning my road trip across the south (in my head). dark chocoalte 450x800 thumb No Running, Just Eating

So there are my eats for the day. They’re not as awesome and Pumpkin’s Pigtastic Sandwich, but I like ‘em.honey boo boo mayonnaise 400x300 thumb No Running, Just Eating

(Source)

See ya later!

Question: When are your rest days?

pin it button No Running, Just Eating

Comments

Thursdays and Sundays are my usual rest days, but that changes if I have a race on the weekend since I usually take the two days off prior to the race for fresher legs.

I love, love, love Laughing Cow with jam. It takes like a fancy pastry to me, but without all the extra calories. Yum!

Yes, I ran 10 miles yesterday. I notice that I am pretty consistent in my hunger except for the day after a long run day when I’m HUNGRY all day. I am not running today for example, but I’ll probably eat about the same :)

• Annie says

Haha yes that surprised me when I first started doing longer runs. Pretty normal appetite on said long run day but the next one seems to release a hungry monster!

I usually rest on Sundays. I run, teach spinning and do my own cycling…and swimming, plus weights. It’s important to have a rest day in there though.

I like to rest on a weekend because I almost always have time to workout before or after work but on weekends I can use the free time to still walk or frolf or something that’s easy but still active-ish rather than chillin at a desk like a bum.

Agreed! I like to have either Saturday or Sunday as a rest day. Weekends are less structured and a workout or run seems to get lost on those days.

I have scheduled rest days but they usually never stay that way. Usually they get changed around based on how I am feeling- I.e. sore, sick , tired or even schedule conflicts. Being flexible with this has really helped me!

5. Jackie K says

My rest days depend on my work schedule. I work 12 hr shifts with an irregular schedule. On those shifts I do a lot of standing and walking, so running on those days either before or after is a guaranteed slog fest. So I try to make my rest days fall on work days.

Oh Monica! I can’t believe you watch that cray-cray show! (My 18 yr. old daughter watches and loves it too, so I can find it in my heart to forgive you both.) That marinnaise episode is what put on the “I can’t take it any more” band wagon. And then there was an episode where Mama June PICKED HER NOSE during an interview and I insisted that I would never watch that show again. Can. Not. Handle. It.

• Denise says

The only time I can watch it is when no one else is home…. As obnoxious as they are they are they love each other and aren’t hung up on keeping up with the Jones’s. I think they are fun.

7. Krissy says

I completely agree with you on the frozen mango! It is so yummy and kind of melts in your mouth.

I try to take 2 days off as well. One is usually on the weekend (more time with the family).

Up until now Mondays have been my rest days and Tuesdays my recovery days (still train but usually only one workout and it is an easier one than the others during the week).

Starting next week for the remainder of the summer, I’m thinking both Sundays probably Wednesdays will be recovery days with high mileage on Fridays and Saturdays. I change it up depending on what I’m focusing on (up until now: bicycle racing; beginning next week: Ironman).

I usually rest on Sundays and then one day during the week. Lately it’s been Thursdays…since I waitress at night I’m usually exhausted by Thursday and spend the day being as lazy as possible haha

10. Phebe says

This is totally random, but when I first saw the pictures of the hummus and carrots, I though it was a hand coming out of the hummus tub! (the carrots look like fingers). I had to do a double-take and it made me laugh :)

Mango in every form is amazing. Dried mango is dangerous for me. I have to buy small portions because I will eat it ALL. I like to partially thaw my frozen mango. Yummy. Mondays and Fridays are my rest days. I appear to be in the minority.

Every non-running day is a great eating day!
    My rest day at the moment is a Friday…Tomorrow. …Therefore tomorrow is going to be a great eating day for me! :)

Rest days always come during the week for me because I’m usually too tired after work. Haha. Or lazy…maybe? Weekends are all about running though! And days off probably means I was doing some sort of hiking for work…btw, when we going running? Been far too freaking long. I’m moving to Ventura in two weeks. Come visit?

14. Autumn says

Do you have any suggestions for what to eat the day before and the morning of a long run?
    Sometimes I have tummy issues:(

I take one weekend day and one weekday (usually Friday and Sunday). I could have a much less hectic schedule during the week if I trained both weekend days, but it’s worth it to me to have one full day of no work/training.

My rest days are typically Sundays, and Thursdays. Sometimes my schedule shifts a little bit when life happens. I do try to stay consistent though. P.S. Your smoothie looks delish!

My rest days vary… Used to always be Tuesdays and Sundays but that is shifting a lot as I learn how to fit marathon training into my crazy schedule.