Motivation Monday–Jogging with James

Happy Monday!

Thank you so much for all the cheers on my Santa Rosa Marathon recap. More thoughts on that coming soon.

I am feeling really good considering I ran 26 miles hard (for me) yesterday!! My quads would like a rub and my ankle is still tight, but nothing major at all.  I took a little walk with my favorite SR this morning and will probably do some stretching later, but most of this week will be Rest, Eat, Repeat.

Recent eats include some Epic Mexican. Si se puede.

epic mexican food 800x450 thumb Motivation Monday–Jogging with James

I am focused on recovering this week, but I am also working with the ING New York City Marathon team. Steve, Dave, Jen and I are sharing our mid-week workouts every week until the race to help keep you (and us) accountable!

new york city marathon mid week run thumb Motivation Monday–Jogging with James

Since mid-week workouts are the hardest to stick to we are checking in on the Runner’s Nation Facebook page to report out goal workout for the week and then checking back in when it’s done.  Join us!

This week is my week, so here’s my mid-week challenge. I’ll probably wait until Thur or Fri to run it since I need some rest.

mid week workout 2 with RunEatRepeat thumb Motivation Monday–Jogging with James

Motivation Monday with James Marshall

Last week I had the opportunity to interview James Marshall on his epic Marathon across the Sahara desert.

He completed the Marathon des Sables which is 6 marathons in 5 days! The temperatures can reach 134 degrees and you have to carry most of your stuff with you. It’s crazy! And amazing.

Watch the video below for some inspiration. And here’s my interview with him:

RER: When did you start running?

Marshall: I ran before I could walk I think. Running is where I feel the most peace, most calm.

RER: How did you get into ultra-running?

Marshall: I don’t think I deserve to be called an ultra-runner!

(Oh my gosh, he totally does.)

RER: Why the Marathon des Sables?

Marshall: I’ve done a bunch of marathons before, but this is something beyond anything I could imagine. When you run a marathon you push yourself very hard. You feel sore the next day. But, knowing I had to run 6 marathons in 5 days, I was really struggling to get my head around it.

RER: How did you train for the race?

Marshall: I went to a place that focuses on preventative medicine. They take a holistic view of things. We planned how to fuel my body as efficient as possible. Also, how to train your mind beyond anything it’s gone to before.

RER: I watched the video and saw you had some really bad, painful looking foot problems. How did you deal with that out there?

Marshall: It was a real emotional, mental stumbling block. I was in a lot of pain. I didn’t sleep very well. I woke up and gave myself a talking to, people have babies and go through a lot worse pain in life. Suck it up and deal with it.

RER: What did you eat out there?

Marshall: My body burns calories very quickly, even more so when it’s 110 degrees and your body is burning to keep it cool.

I had to carry everything on me from day one. We researched what food would give me the highest amounts of calories in the smallest amount of weight. Things like peanuts and dates were some of the it. Also, freeze dried foods.

RER: What did you eat as your ‘victory meal’?

Marshall: At one point I think I was hallucinating a little bit. I have a low meat diet, but I must have been craving protein because I thought I could smell steak out there. I think I lost 15 pounds of muscle in those days. So, after I had steak and beer.

Awesome, right?!

Of interest: The Santa Rosa Marathon winner’s results were delayed 3 hours because the 1st & 2nd place guys accidentally went the wrong way. What?!

Question: Is it harder for you to workout on the weekdays or weekends?

Comments

It’s actually harder on the weekend. On week days I’m much more in a routine, so I just get on with it, whereas on weekends it’s easier to find excuses. Blogs like your encourage me to quit my crying and just get on with it!

Mid-week runs are the worst! I always feel a little sore from my Saturday and Monday runs, so the Wednesday/Thursday runs are SO hard to get motivated for. I have a hill run coming up on Wednesday and I’m dreading it!

3. Laura says

I also find weekend runs harder cause of family plans or weekend getaways. I just try to get up earlier those days…..doesn’t always work!

Definitely the weekdays. I look forward to my weekend runs because there is no rush to get done. I can take my time and not stress about my pace too much. Weekday runs are a bit harder since I have to get to work by a certain point, plus it’s usually dark out making it harder to wake up

Hmmm good question! Since weekends are my long runs sometimes its hard for me to mentally prepare for running so long but I think weekends are easier to stick to it because it has just become a part of my weekends.

Exactly. I can workout during the day on the weekdays. On weekends it has to be when the child is sleeping. Problem, I want to sleep at those times too.

Hey..I finished my 12 in a super slow time and chaffed horribly. I know recently you posted about a company who had chaffing products. I posted a picture of “one” of my sore spots. Do you know if they need a good test subject? I welt up and honestly..this spot isn’t the worst one. Since I am a PG blog, I didn’t post the one where it was bleeding. :(

That’s awesome that you got to interview him. How crazy!? (And inspirational). People like him (and all ultra marathoners) amaze me. Congrats on your marathon as well. I can’t believe you’re running 8 miles the week afterward. I usually run like 3 maybe a week later. When I’m training for a marathon, weekday runs are hardest for me because I know I have to get the long runs in. Ironically, when I’m not training for anything, weekend workouts are harder.

8. Tara says

weekday mornings are the hardest…I would prefer to cuddle with my pups longer then get up and head out. Weekends are easy because I am not rushed to get back and have to be out the door at any given time.

9. Sarah G. says

Wow, 6 marathons in 5 days… I can’t even imagine!

It’s definitely harder for me to workout during the week. Sometimes it’s hard to motivate myself to run during the week because I am usually so wiped out after work! I look forward to my Saturday morning runs all week long, though!

I was unfortunately unable to join your Las Vegas RnR group, but I really love your goal this week. I may need to at least join in on that one :)

Sundays are the most difficult for me. That’s usually the day that I also do laundry & grocery shop and a little bit of cleaning. I get caught in the “what I want to do vs. what I need to be doing” syndrome.