To Run or Not To Run That is the Question

Hello! I woke up in the middle of the night feeling kinda sick again. So, when I got up this morning I wasn’t sure what was going on with my body. I just didn’t feel 100%, but couldn’t really put my finger on it. I took my temperature and it said 97.3, which just means I’m dead inside but I already knew that.

So, I had to ask myself that age old question -

to run or not to run…

The #1 rule of running while sick is “If it’s in your chest you must rest.”

And I am not having any chest issues (outside of that tiny lil black heart in there, but I don’t think that’s a medical problem).

Rule #2 is to first ask yourself “Is running going to make you feel better or worse?”

image

I decided running wouldn’t make me feel worse, but I would cut my planned run short and take it easy. Plus Mizuno just sent me new gear to test out and I needed to run for the cause. (The cause being RER, hello.)

running pose (376x501)

I did 7 miles in the Mizuno Evo Cusoris (from their minimal line-up). So far I’m digging them, super light weight.

7 mile run (376x501)

mizuno cusoris (668x501)

Post run eats.

breakfast quesadilla (668x501)

Speaking of eggs…

breakfast food

Last night –  Have you ever heard the term, “Breakfast for dinner will make you thinner.” ?

Probably not unless you follow me on Instagram because I just made it up. You’re welcome.

omlete for dinner (725x544)

Random dessert remix – pumpkin, carrot cake yogurt, cereal, sunflower seeds.

pumpkin pie dessert (668x501)

I assume you kinda sorta ‘get’ social media if you’re reading a blog and dutifully are pinning my random recipes and workouts (thank you). But in case you need a crash course I saw this the other day and thought it was funny:

social media explanations (575x800)

25 Days of Fitness Challenge – Day 4

25 days of fitness day 4

Question: Who are you writing your note to?

Comments

1. Natalie says

I hope the run helped you feel better. I wrote my note to my husband. I left it on the coffeemaker when I went to work so he’ll see it when he gets up :-)

2. Casey says

I cant believe you ran! I always put my health before running so if im not feeling great I dont go. Especially if I was just sick because I want my immune system working hard on getting me better and not being distracted :)

PS- kind of random, but since your a Brooks ambassador, how do you also have a relationship with Mizuno? I would think one of them would put some clause in about that? Im just getting into sponsorships and I am trying to figure all this out

Mizuno just sent me gear, I am not in a partnership with them. Brooks is my main sponsor for 2013, but if another company sends me something with no strings attached I make the call on whether or not I want to share it. I mentioned it because I’ve been trying a lot of other minimal shoes this year and this is another option for runners with the same needs as I have.

3. Chuck says

That social media pick is from a donut shop in Portland, OR which I went to when I visited there! They had donuts with alcohol shots in them – it was amazing!

I have to be pretty sick to not run. While I was under going cancer treatment, I continued to run although it was slower and less miles. It almost always makes me feel better.

Hope you are feeling better, I assume you are since you ran!
    Funny that writing a note is the challenge for today because I am now sending out a card to a special Blogger friend and I’m sure there will be a note sent with it! Take Care ~M

6. Rebecca says

I have those shoes in pink…I LOVE them. They make me run like the wind! If the wind was really slow and ran at 9 minute miles…but they are super comfy :)

• Steph F. says

That was my first thought as well! I used to wake up feeling sick in the middle of the night like that, and would have to go downstairs and eat toast until it passed :)

I hope you’re feeling better this afternoon :)

I’m writing a note to my hubby….I owe him an apology for something that happened in March. I wanted a new car…found a new car…but he insisted it wasn’t a good deal and wouldn’t let me proceed. I was furious! He was right!! I’m getting a new car tomorrow…way better car…way better deal. Hate it when they’re right.

Personally, I think you should let your body rest if it’s fighting something. I think it’s better for you to rest than to stress your system when it’s already fighting something. It’s not like you’re going to lose any endurance taking a day or two off. Just my opinion and what I’ve learned. Hope you are feeling 100% soon! :-)

9. Annemarie/Carmie says

I’m writing a note to my mom. Logging off now (even though I really want to watch video about saying hi to Monican). Hope you are feeling 100% soon!