So, I was going through some of my recipes recently thinking up a dish to make for Christmas. Last year I made an easy Cinnamon Pull Apart Bread that was fantastic! It’s more of a special occasion dish (read: not something I should make/eat all of on a random Wednesday night).
But the craving was there so I decided to create a healthy version of the bread (also known as Monkey Bread for some reason even though there are no monkeys or bananas in it).
This version is made with 100% whole wheat bread and less sugar so it’s completely justifiable to eat all by your lonesome. Or maybe that’s just me.
Healthy Cinnamon Pull Apart Bread Recipe
- 10-12 pieces of whole wheat bread
- 1 cup apple sauce
- 1/4 cup cinnamon (less/more to taste)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup egg whites
- 1/4 cup agave or sugar free syrup
- 2 Tb. almond milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- dash salt
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees, spray pan thoroughly with non-stick spray. (Bundt pans are great for this but I used a round cake pan because my bundt is at my mom’s.)
2. Spread apple sauce on each slice of bread. Then, sprinkle bread with cinnamon and sugar. Cut bread into bite sized pieces.
3. Mix egg whites, almond milk, vanilla extract, salt and agave in a bowl.
4. Place a layer of bread into pan. Optional: sprinkle with more cinnamon & sugar so the sweetness is throughout the layers. Repeat until all bread is in pan.
5. Pour egg mix over bread. Bake for 25 minutes or until set.
Carefully flip bread onto plate and sprinkle the top with powdered sugar.
Pull of a piece and Enjoy!
Confession: I topped the leftovers the next night with whipped cream. It was a solid choice.
Join the 21 Day Run Camp now!
Do you want to run faster, stronger or longer? Join in!