Workout Wednesday – IT Band Exercises for Runners

It is Workout Wednesday!

RunnerOriginals 6 2921458364 W thumb Workout Wednesday   IT Band Exercises for Runners

And yes, I just decided ‘Workout Wed’ is going to be a thing, and I’m pretty excited about it.

tgiw Workout Wednesday   IT Band Exercises for Runners

A few years ago I hurt my IT Band following the Disney World Marathon. My band was too tight and weak and caused major pain in my knee. I was benched for weeks and had to go to physical therapy and everything. You can read about my IT Band diagnosis and physical therapy visit here.

mri scan room thumb Workout Wednesday   IT Band Exercises for Runners

That injury taught me some very important lessons…

1. Rest is vital to recovery.

2. Stretch, just stretch Monican.

3. How to do IT Band strengthening exercises.

4. That I like to make lists.

So here are three IT Band exercises you can do at home or at the gym. All you need is a resistance band for one of the moves – the rest require no equipment.

Tip: Muscle imbalances can lead to injury so pay close attention to each side of your body. If you feel one side is a lot stronger than the other focus on equalizing those muscles.

Workout Wednesday – IT Band Exercises for Runners

Question: What’s your workout this Wednesday?

pin it button Workout Wednesday   IT Band Exercises for Runners

Comments

This is a great reminder that I need to be doing this… It always seems to fall out of my routine. P.S…. How is that Boston Marathon treadmill?

Awesome tips! I have never hurt myself, however, this is a great reminder to take the time to care for yourself. Stretch, roll, rest, repeat!

These are some of the same exercises that I do, but I do them to strengthen my gluteus medius and gluteus maximus muscles which helps with my Dead Butt Syndrome, (gluteus medius Tendinosis). They’re great exercises and they do work, my butt is slowly coming back to life.

Awesome, I should definitely try these. I don’t stretch often enough! My workout Wednesday will be a 4 mile run at my office gym because it’s only 11 degrees as a high today in Chicago!

I suppose you may be sleeping right now in China. OMG…you are in CHINA! Crazy…. Any who, I just got home from body pump and walking at my Y. (((And a week from now the fam will be in FLORIDA!!! Cannot.wait.til.then.)))

6. Shannon B. says

THANK YOU so much for the IT Band video it was just what I was needing/looking for. My hip f lexer (right side) always bothers me once I start building my miles.
    Hope you are enjoying your trip!

I do Kosama 5 times a week. It is a full body workout and since I am doing this I really feel my running has improved. Lots of core and back workouts (+ tons of cardio and lower body workouts), but also a good amount of stretching. Today was TRX workout day and I am planning to go for a run after work.

8. Molly says

Thanks for the IT Band tips! Mine started making itself known during a half in Oct and I’ve been looking for good exercises to strengthen my hips.

Thanks for posting this! I’ve been dealing with an IT band injury for about 3 weeks. Its getting better though. I’m glad you posted these workouts! I’ll add them to what I’ve been doing.

A loving he inaugural “Workout Wednesday,” especially since it’s about the IT band (this is what sidelined me from running a marathonast year). These exercises will hopefully prevent me from getting sidelined this year – thanks so much! And yes, rest days are SO important!

Yesterday (Wednesday) was a double workout day for me – leg strength training in the morning and a short run after work. It was good!

12. kat says

As some people have mentioned, it’s not your ITB that you are strengthening. The ITB is connected to the TFL muscle, it is not a muscle in itself. The problem with most people is actually overuse and tightness, so you don’t want to be “strengthening” it.
    You strengthen your glutes (med, min and maximus all help), as well as core (again, the little muscles like your pelvic floor, etc, not your “abs”). These are the muscles that should be keeping your posture when you run, as these are all little muscles that stretch across one joint, and are better suited for stability. Big, long tissues like your ITB should not be doing all the work.

Oh, man! I went through a similar thing easier this year and it taught me to be extremely vigilant about making sure I stretch, roll, and strengthen. It’s nice to hear that others have gone through the same. Not that I would wish injury on anyone, but you kind of feel alone in your injury sometimes, you know?