The Best DIET News for the Weekend

Are you in ‘weekend mode’ and ready to have some fun?

on my drive to yoga 409x545 thumb The Best DIET News for the Weekend

I’m running the Palm Springs Half Marathon – anyone else? Online reg is closed, but you can register at packet pick up if you’re local. Cindy – here I come!

monica and cindy with coffee thumb The Best DIET News for the Weekend

So, here’s the big diet news…

You can eat treats on the weekend and still lose weight! (Or drink treats if that’s your thing.)

drink diet thumb The Best DIET News for the Weekend

A new study in the journal Obesity Facts titled

Weight Increases during Weekends and Decreases during Weekdays

found that most people weigh less during the week (let’s say Friday) and more Sunday night/Monday morning. But, that’s okay.

The important thing is that you eat clean during the week (which would be the majority of the time). If your goal is to lose weight or maintain it’s normal to fluctuate during the week and potentially indulge over the weekend. But, getting back on track and letting that number fall a bit during the weekdays is a determining factor of long term weight.

remember your diet thumb The Best DIET News for the Weekend

Whew! That’s good because I’m supposed to have an epic milkshake debate with Ben soon. And I made cookies.

apple peanut butter cookies 376x502 thumb The Best DIET News for the Weekend

And had sushi last night (which is not the weekend, so I’m kinda busted).

baked salmon roll 669x502 thumb The Best DIET News for the Weekend spicy tuna roll salmon sashimi 669x502 thumb The Best DIET News for the Weekend

What are you doing this weekend?

Comments

1. Cindy says

Um, I’d like to think of sushi as healthy. Is that wrong? Or, are you just that disciplined? And those delicious spicy, creamy warm toppings….the sushi chef told me they use Japanese mayo which has no fat and is good for our hearts ;) Enjoy your weekend!

2. Whitney S. says

i ran the palm springs half last year! i was going to do the relay with my husband, but decided the night before to do the full thing. without training (woops) and after doing the tour de palm bike ride the day before. great times. i had a baby 6 weeks ago, so i will just be walking a piece of the tour de palm while the hubster rides his bicycle. have fun! it’s a nice little run.

This weekend I’m happy to report that I’m laying low – so excited to be doing NOTHING but staying home, running, enjoying my morning coffee (and making my big weekend breakfasts), and just hanging out with my husband and the hounds!

My running group captain is hosting a Chinese New Year potluck dinner tonite (yay! tossing yee sang!) and Pacesetters (another running group) will be hosting a CNY breakfast after our run tomorrow morning.
    So weekend = more CNY treats! Thank goodness, the diet allows for indulgences over weekends!

Hi, it’s nice to know that you can run often to burn that fat. Unfortunately, I can’t run often or do workouts so I have to ensure that my meals are low in calories. Is sushi high in calories and enough to increase weight? I think I can eat some sushi once in a week. What do you think?

Interesting that we gain more on the weekends than during the week. I do noticed though I’m more stressed during the week & therefore, do not eat as much. The good thing is I eat at the same time everyday, but don’t have the tendency to nosh on random things like I do over the weekends. Good luck on your half this weekend!

I feel like sushi is relatively healthy, especially if you don’t order any deep-fried rolls. I’m officially counting your Friday dinner as “healthy.” (I also had dinner so my opinion’s a little tainted. ;)) I am working all weekend, but I’m on my feet all the time at work, so at least I’m being active!

I did a 12-miler this morning, and I have some writing to do. I’m taking a Chi-Running workshop on Sunday and I’m geeking-out with excitement.

Haha – that’s never the PLAN but that’s always what happens. Saturday is when I make cookies, Sunday after church is always Mexican food and then pizza with the college kids in the evening.

I feel less guilty about it now, though.

10. mt says

I don’t think that’s news, really. Weight loss/maintenance is a number’s game. If you are on the lower end of the spectrum of calories during the week, and eat more on the weekend, it balances out. Kath puts it nicely on her blog and calls it the “Squiggly line effect.” I don’t, however, believe indulging all weekend and eating clean during the week will lead to weight loss, unless your weekend indulgences are slight and your weekday eats are extremely clean and possibly under the amount of calories needed for weight loss.