Strawberry Shortcake Protein Pancakes

strawberry shortckae protein pancakes recipe thumb Strawberry Shortcake Protein Pancakes

When I was in Shanghai I picked up a new nickname. As we were walking through the city vendors would offer all the tourists watches and purses. They would say, “Hello. You want a Rolex?!” “Hello. Gucci! Gucci Purses. Prada!” and then follow you insisting that you look at their stuff.

SAM 0939 800x600 thumb Strawberry Shortcake Protein Pancakes

I really had zero interest in it so I would always wave them off, not tempted at all (just not my thing). They are very persistent.

Luckily, so am I.

SAM 0738 800x600 thumb Strawberry Shortcake Protein Pancakes

But when I did want to shop for my chopsticks I had to go in and out of stores looking around. To get my attention the vendors started saying, “Shortcake! You want a purse?” “Hey shortcake! Come look over here!”

At first I thought they were talking to someone else. I dunno, maybe their friend is named Shortcake? But Ben realized, “They are calling you Shortcake, like Strawberry Shortcake!” Which we thought was really funny and random.

And since everything goes back to food with me I have been on a mission to make Strawberry Shortcake Pancakes.

IMG 4404 800x533 thumb Strawberry Shortcake Protein Pancakes

Strawberry Shortcake Protein Pancakes

(High Protein – Gluten Free – Easy)

Ingredients:

• 1 big scoop protein powder (I used banana this time)
  • 1/4 cup egg whites
  • dash of milk if it’s too thick
  • dash salt, baking soda
  • Plus: Strawberry Greek yogurt, strawberries

Directions: Mix protein pancakes ingredients and cook on a HOT sprayed skillet. I made three small pancakes out of the mix. It usually only makes one, so divide the batter evenly. Don’t flip until they are well set on one side. The batter is thick so they might not make bubbles.

Layer strawberry Greek yogurt and strawberries between pancakes.IMG 4378 800x533 thumb Strawberry Shortcake Protein PancakesIMG 4380 800x533 thumb Strawberry Shortcake Protein Pancakes

Enjoy!

IMG 4389 800x533 thumb Strawberry Shortcake Protein Pancakes

IMG 4402 800x533 thumb Strawberry Shortcake Protein Pancakes

Question: Strawberries. Does anyone else feel like there’s a 50/50 chance they’re either delicious OR tasteless?

Comments

Those pancakes look delicious!! I love strawberries but I am so picky about them so I usually only buy them in the summer.
    I grew up watching strawberry shortcake. Was she a doll too? I probably had the doll. And rainbow brite. :)

Congrats for creating this excellent breakfast idea.

Considering that strawberry shortcake is my fav dessert, this recipe is a keeper.

I’m sure there’s less sugar than a real SShortcake (sorry, I’m on a low sugar mission). The sugar content of the pancakes depends on the sugar in the protein powder and the yogurt.

This is exactly why I gave sworn off strawberries. They have let me down one too many times and I refuse to get my hopes up again! I may break my rule, however, if they’re covered in chocolate since then it’s not quite as important that they be delicious :)

Holy crap, this looks AWESOME. Daily, I eat greek yogurt, strawberries, and chocolate pb2 with some sort of carb (granola, oats, cereal, etc). This looks like an awesome way to change it up! I haven’t noticed them being tasteless, but mixed in with all that stuff probably means I pay less attention to the flavor.

5. Molly says

Love this! I can get my breakfast food fix and my dessert fix all at once for dinner! What type of protein powder do you use? Are there any powdered protein sources that you recommend avoiding? Thanks :)

6. Shawn says

That is so true about strawberries! We are spoiled in that we live a short drive from 2 locations of a family-owned strawberry farm, so in the spring, we go and pick a gallon whenever we want. I can barely eat any other strawberries since I’ve gotten so used to the fresh ones!

Monica, what kind of camera do you use? I am going to get one in a couple weeks as a birthday present to myself and know nothing about them. I like the quality of your pics so I thought I would ask.

8. Kathy says

You’re absolutely right about strawberries…they’re either food nirvana or garbage. I don’t even bother with them in the winter anymore. Same with tomatoes. Those pancakes look great!