Top 0 Reasons to Take a Tortuous Ice Bath

Ask a Monican Vlog today!

Reader wants to know when should you ice bath and why?! And when you should just use a good ‘ol bag o’ peas.

I was actually icing after my run today whilst answering email all multi-tasking like. Via Instagram -

icing my ankle how to ice your running injury 481x481 thumb Top 0 Reasons to Take a Tortuous Ice Bath

I’m finally getting into long run territory and wanted to ask for a bit more detail on after run icing.  I’ve seen images on your blog showing you in the ocean, in a pool and sometimes using frozen bags of peas on the knees…

Can you give a short sum up of what we’re trying to accomplish with the “ice bath” and how we might differentiate between situations that need short term bag-o-peas and situations that need a dip in the bathtub with ice…  ???

When to take an ice bath vs. when to use a ice pack Vlog

Remember – Using icing as a Band-Aid to push through uncomfortable overuse injuries is not recommended. However, icing in conjunction with rest can greatly increase healing time and athletic performance. – Via Active

My post Marine Corps Marathon ice bath…

Resources:

8 Ice Bath Dos and Don’ts via Active

How to Take an Ice Bath

Ice Baths Cold Therapy via RunnersWorld

Does an Ice Bath Speed Recovery?

And if you’re in a video watching mood…

All The Worst Things That Happen While Running

Question: Do you ice bath? Do you drink icees?

Email me your questions to RunEatRepeat at gmail dot com!

Comments

The most I can handle is getting in the pool (which is usually pretty cold) to ice my feet or calves if they’re sore. It’s just too much. I do ice my dog’s leg with frozen peas when her arthritis kick up, though!

2. Tanya says

Yes I have done quite a few ice baths after some long workouts (I have done 4 ironmans ) and I have found them to be effective in my recovery. Also I’ve noticed that the rest of my day I am able to function. In particular my mind tends to be clear and I can put two sentences together instead of feeling like mush on the couch. An effective way that I found works is to start the bathtub with a bit of warm water first, get in then turn tap to cold. I usually get it cold enough that I don’t need ice. This makes it feel alittle less torcherous. I also wear an old sweat shirt cause iam only going to hip height. I try and read a magazine and watch and aim for 15 minutes in the tub. If you want to return to regular activities quicker I recommend it! :)

I’m notorious for NOT taking ice baths OR icing enough. Well, I’ve learned my lesson. Once I can start running again after getting over an injury, I’ll be sure to do BOTH.

LOL that video! My fave was when he had the chafing and put the front of his t-shirt in his mouth. I laughed out loud for real.

I’ve never done an ice bath. I know it’s great for recovery, but I just don’t want to do it. Frozen peas for me! :)

I ice bath after anything over 10 miles. Sometimes between 6 and 8 miles if it was really hard miles and/or I feel like it would help. I never let taking an ice bath replace foam rolling, stretching, proper hydration/food after a run though. It’s an additional tool in the recovery tool box that I have found to be very helpful.

drinking warm chocolate milk in an ice bath is actually a pretty great way to recover!

Nope. I can’t take cold water, weather etc – I freeze easily! :P
    Plus my grandma or maybe it’s a old Chinese wife thingy that says drinking cold water is not good for the system.

Use an ice bath if your pain or inflammation is not just on the surface. The ice pack can’t chill as deeply as a bath. For my ankle, I use a small garbage can. Just following my dr’s orders.

Never iced bathe….of course, I run shorter distances right now…but I can’t imagine I will ever ice bathe.

In fact, because I live in the arctic (Ohio) I usually come in from a run, stretch, drink a choco milk and take a hot bubble bath. Probably horrible for me, but I do thoroughly enjoy it…

In my many years of training, I’ve never done an ice bath. That said, after watching your vlog and reading some of the resources starting to think it could help me. Yikes! Here I go!

True statement: Ice bath = torture. Tried it once, never again.

Interesting that the vid All The Worst Things That Happen While Running
    doesn’t include a dog encounter. I know mine hate runners (from the window) and if they escaped, the runner would be in trouble for daring to run in front of their territory.

Thanks for the tips. Living in cold WI I was never sore but that was running in the winter. So I guess there’s a plus to living in the cold state.

I like to drink Icees in an ice bath…no, no I don’t.
    I might be weird but I actually don’t hate ice baths. My farthest race is only a 15k but when I was doing those long runs, I didn’t mind the ice bath. Running is so hard on my hips that it was actually a relief…and my son thought it was the weirdest and best thing ever.

Oh ice baths… what a love hate relationship! I have been battling a painful achilles tendon lately and just been putting ice on it, but I think I need to take the plunge and get it in an ice bath. At least it’s just the foot and not my back or something!

14. Kate Lewis says

I live in New Hampshire and I have gone in the ocean in Sept. and October (65-70 degrees max) as an ice bath, Lake Winnepisake (60 degrees) in early May, and all summer I use my pool after all my long training runs and after almost all tempo and speed sessions. We even left our pool open a bit later last year until I tapered for my October Marathon. I have only done the ice tub thing twice. I am way more chicken for that. I always throw a pair of Pro Compression socks on right after too. I think it really makes a difference.

Anything over half marathon length I force myself to ice bath. My tips to getting through:
    Hoodie on
    Hot tea in hand
    Beyonce Pandora blasting
    Timer set so you aren’t always watching the clock

Climb in the cold water
    Then pour the ice on top of yourself and start the timer

That is the only way I can make it work.

You’re right — that was a great question! I think I finally need to suck it up and try an ice bath. I hate the cold just like you! But, it sounds like people really like the effects on recovery!

17. Erica says

Ice baths, the only way I survived training for a marathon in kansas, in the summer. Here’s my fool proof plan icing after 14 miles or more
    -leave running tights/shorts on
    -cold water and at least one bag if not 2 of ice
    -change out of sweaty top and sports bras and put a dry long sleeve shirt on, or sweatshirt …whatever suits you
    -have a hot drink in hand
    -take the plunge and deep breathe, you go numb soon so it gets to be relaxing after two minutes.