RunEatRepeat March Calendar–Working in strength training to our running plan

As a runner I know I should incorporate some strength training and stretching into my weekly workout routine. It’s not my favorite thing, but it’s like a vitamin – good for you!

pink running shoes are the best running shoes 669x502 thumb1 RunEatRepeat March Calendar–Working in strength training to our running plan

I am a big proponent of doing what you like to do for exercise. The only way you’ll stick with something long term is if you actually enjoy it. While strength training or stretching may not be as fun as running, it will ensure you are more well rounded and fit to avoid injuries so you can continue to run for a long time.

felt like running thumb RunEatRepeat March Calendar–Working in strength training to our running plan

And it will be easier if we do it together. Plus, it keeps us honest wlEmoticon winkingsmile4 RunEatRepeat March Calendar–Working in strength training to our running plan

plank time 725x544 thumb RunEatRepeat March Calendar–Working in strength training to our running plan

So, I created a run, eat, strength train, repeat calendar that will easily slip in a day of strength and a day of yoga every week in March. It is intended to work with your current running life.

Here is the first month of RunEatRepeat’s Monthly Workout Calendar. It starts off easy but we’ll step it up next month!

4 days of running a week. Stick to your own training plan for that.

1 day of strength training and abs. All you need for this is one set of 3 to 10 pound free weights. The strength routine and abs are below.

1 day of yoga – This can also count as a 2nd strength training day if you take a challenging class. You can use my fave “Yoga for Runners’” video or take a class.

1 complete day of REST, but if you are tired use the yoga day for light stretching

image thumb15 RunEatRepeat March Calendar–Working in strength training to our running plan

Click here for printable version

strength for runners a1 thumb RunEatRepeat March Calendar–Working in strength training to our running plan

pre run abs thumb RunEatRepeat March Calendar–Working in strength training to our running plan

Yoga for Runners – 25 minute session

Best Hip Stretch Video

Each week I’ll have more tips – so stay tuned for that.

If you don’t like running, it’s okay. We can still be friends and you can incorporate this into your workout routine of choice.

at what cost thumb RunEatRepeat March Calendar–Working in strength training to our running plan

Do these new moves this month and let’s check in here each Friday to stay accountable. Next month we’ll switch up the strength training and abs and maybe even add in a little foam rolling action.

110 percent4 thumb RunEatRepeat March Calendar–Working in strength training to our running plan

Question: Are you in or in the way?

Comments

1. Cassie Wink says

I’m in! I will probably be in my way too, but mostly I’m in. I really like your blog. I have really been trying to get back into running and doing races. This plan will help motivate me. Thanks!

2. Melissa says

This is great! I always intend to do strength and yoga but it never seems to happen. I’m making the March commitment right now!

• Melissa says

:) Oh been meaning to ask ya what your favorite running short is? Its warming up where I live now and I got some shorts at old navy but their compression shorts ride up like no other and its annoying! I want to find short ones that will stay in place!!!

3. Molly says

In! I’ve been needing to plan out my training for Grandma’s 1/2 Marathon, so this is just the right motivation to finally do it. Thanks!

Totally in! I am all about incorporating more strength training with my runs– but it can be easy to just leave it out. This will be perfect!

This is awesome! I wanna redirect everyone who asks me about starting running to this page. As I am elite, people often ask me to make them a training plan when they want to run, but I find it hard to remember what its like as a beginner who hasn’t been doing those exercises and running a lot for years. This will be perfect!

I LOVE strength training! I have had a hard time limiting it so I don’t overdue it with the running. I usually like to strength train 2 days/week while I’m training for something…which my 3rd half is on the books and that training starts monday! EEP!

I often suck at doing strength training as well! Awesome idea! I was supposed to get up before work today and go to the gym. I slept 30 minutes later and now there is no gym for me…guess it is a forced rest day!

I’m in! Awesome. You are my new favorite running/fitness blogger by the way. So fun. Love the GIFs. Haha
    I’m training for my first full in April, love your lighthearted motovation!

I’m IN, assuming my foot heals quickly! If not running, definitely in the stretching. I’ve learned through physical therapy how important it is & I must admit I’ve never given it enough focus.

Right now ‘RER’ is my job. I also do freelance writing when it comes my way. I know it’s not something I’ll always be able to do, but I’m very fortunate right now.

I am in it to win it! I’ve been letting my yoga slip and slide lately, and noticing some weird-o tightness in my hips. I totally appreciate having a schedule: if I put something on my calendar it will actually happen, otherwise I just end up saying: “dang, I haven’t strength trained since the last pope”

I am in! I have been looking for something to boost my workouts and get ready for racing season! Can’t wait to see what tips you post weekly!

Looks like a great training plan for March. I need to increase my running, but the weather hasn’t been cooperating. I’ve just been spinning alot to keep my endurance levels up along with adding more strength training.

13. John Gregg says

I like to do a pre-run core workout as well. It serves as a bit of a dynamic stretching session too. I do several kinds of planks, supine holds, donkey kicks, fire hydrants, double eagles and maybe one or two other things. I have been doing this for a few months and have definitely noticed benefits.

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good.
    I do not know who you are but definitely you’re going to
    a famous blogger if you aren’t already ;) Cheers!