Lazy Yoga and Real Yoga

This post brought to you by Summer of Groupon. All opinions are 100% mine.

Hello! How’s it going? Do you have a long holiday weekend coming up? Over here in the USofA the 4th of July is almost here so I know so many people that are on ‘vacation mode’.

This morning Yesterday I ran 9 miles with my new water bottle. I’m not in love with it, but it works. It’s actually kinda awkward when I drink from it, but I don’t know if that’s user error or what. Apparently it’s rocket science to drink from a water bottle. Don’t judge.

summer of groupon massage 4 600x800 thumb Lazy Yoga and Real Yoga

The run was okay, but I was pretty excited the whole time because I had a reward after I was done!! I hadn’t had a rest day since last Wednesday so my legs were tired and due for a reward.

summer of groupon massage 5 450x800 thumb Lazy Yoga and Real Yoga

So, I bought a Groupon for an Aromatherapy Massage. I think massages are what got me addicted to Groupon in the first place – there are so many great deals and different options for places all over!!

I would like to consider massages a necessity for anyone training for a distance race, but they are normally pricey. The first thing I bought on Groupon was a massage and I thought it was a revelation. I think the world would be a happier place if everyone got one massage a week. If I run for president that will be my platform.

summer of groupon massage 600x800 thumb Lazy Yoga and Real Yoga

Anyway. After my run and a quick shower I grabbed a protein bar as I headed out the door to relaxation city.

summer of groupon massage 6 600x800 thumb Lazy Yoga and Real Yoga

Since this was an aroma-therapy massage the masseuse used lemon grass oil. At first I was kinda distracted because it reminded me of Thai food <- that would only happen to me. Ha! But, it was refreshing and relaxing at the same time.

lemon grass 600x800 thumb Lazy Yoga and Real Yoga

I looked it up after since I was curious about the benefits of lemon grass and found this on WebMD,

“Some people apply lemongrass and its essential oil directly to the skin for headache, stomachache, abdominal pain, and muscle pain. By inhalation, the essential oil of lemongrass is used as aromatherapy for muscle pain.”

After the massage I got a shot of wheatgrass and a smoothie. Ahhhh, feels good all ‘round.

summer of groupon massage 7 600x800 thumb Lazy Yoga and Real Yoga summer of groupon massage 2 600x800 thumb Lazy Yoga and Real Yoga

I joke and call massages ‘Lazy Yoga’ because someone is stretching and relaxing your muscles. But, I know I need real yoga too! It’s a super important part of injury prevention for runners – actually, it’s important for everyone because it keeps ya limber and is relaxing too.

So I bought a year of Yoga online. Boom. I’m hoping this keeps me honest.

image thumb thumb Lazy Yoga and Real Yoga

So, now I’m busting out some yoga in the privacy of my living room. I downloaded an easy flow class.

summer of groupon massage 8 600x800 thumb Lazy Yoga and Real Yoga

I love yoga, but rarely go to classes because it’s so much time – 1.5 hour class + driving there + the cost of the class + smelling everyone’s feet = okay maybe it’s my feet, but you get the idea. I picked a 60 minute class and flowed through it to start the day. Easy peasy.

And now I’m all noodle-y and it feels great wlEmoticon smile1 Lazy Yoga and Real Yoga

doing yoga groupon summer fun thumb Lazy Yoga and Real Yoga

And now I’m eating oats in a jar, sipping iced coffee and talking to you nice people.

oats in a jar 600x800 thumb Lazy Yoga and Real Yoga

Check out Groupon for a deal massage near you.

Question: How many massages have you had this year? If the answer is zero and you sit behind a desk all day OR run OR have stress in your life OR use your body OR need to de-stress – you need more.Groupon

Lazy Yoga and Real Yoga

Comments

Lazy yoga = yes! Love that term. Sadly I have not done any lazy yoga this year. I’ve been scrolling through groupon for weeks now, but have yet to find a spa that is anywhere close to me.

2. Sarah says

I know it’s totally judge-y and the complete opposite of everything that yoga stands for… but I was in a class where the instructor had toenail fungus. Like the super gross kind you see on the commercials. He came over to help stretch/position me in downward dog and all I could see was TOE FUNGUS.

After class I burned my yoga mat and never went back.

I think online videos like that might be just perfect to get me back into yoga without the fear of toe fungus!

3. Jessica says

I would vote for you in a second if you made us all get massages! I’m obsessed with yogadownload.com- they even have great 20 minute classes for when you’re crunched for time and want to get a stretch in. That membership was some of the best groupon $ I ever spent!

4. Ali says

Love your blog! I’m not sure, but it looks like you might be holding your handheld water bottle backwards which may be why it felt awkward or not working properly. Just a thought! Happy yoga-ing! :)

5. Shannon in Tustin says

I am a facial girl. No massages due to the fact that I am abnormally, ridiculously ticklish!

Happy fourth of July weekend!

I would vote for you if you run on the massage platform! I definitely think massages are a great thing. I haven’t had one this year, but I have gone to the chiropractor a few times and that helps me stretch…some. Downloading the yoga videos sound like something that I could manage. I have the Slim, Calm, Sexy yoga book from Women’s Health, but I do better when someone is telling me what to do! Plus, I am terrible at breathing slowly and not rushing through poses.

I have had lots of deep tissue massage on my foot at physical therapy. I just got back actually and in the car I was thinking how lovely it was to have this handsome and nice (and a runner) physical therapist massaging my entire foot and working on the tendon that has had tendonitis. He used biofreeze oil which felt so great. So my foot feels great but now the rest of my body is jealous. LOL!
    Love the idea of yoga online. My ADD probably won’t allow me to do 60 min but maybe I can start with a shorter class =) or just keep hitting the pause button!
    Have a lovely 4th weekend.

I’m a member at Massage Envy and go once a month! Totally worth $49/month for a 1-hr massage. I’ve been doing it for about 5 years now. #addicted

I’ve never had a massage. Even typing that looks sad. Honestly even though I know it would be helpful the idea of a stranger doing it does not sound relaxing or appealing. Maybe if I had them a few times I’d get over that, but really don’t feel like spending extra money on something I’m not into! I’ve actually never done anything “spa-like” at all. The closest I come is getting my hair cut twice a year!

Michele, I was totally in the same ballpark as you for my first massage. “Isn’t this going to be awkward?” And at first, it totally is. I even kept on my undies and bra because I was so uncomfortable with the idea.

Fast forward fiveish years, and I’m practically pulling off my clothes as soon as the therapist lets me into the room. ;) You start to crave the way you’ll feel afterward!

I just found a place called Bejing Foot Massage a mile away from my house that looked SUPER SKETCH but tried it and for 30 bucks they give you an hour full body massage! Best find ever! I don’t react that well to massage (I can feel yucky/hurt for a while) but I try to do it after major races or big training blocks.

11. Beth McGee says

Hey Monica! Just a suggestion about the water bottle (and you may be doing this already) but I have one that’s similar. You are supposed to put your palm on the other side of the bottle under the adjustable strap part. Hope this helps! You may already be doing that and you just took the picture differently. It’s still kind of a pain to hold on to but gotta stay hydrated! Love your blog!

12. Rob Runs says

I have had zero massages, ever. I don’t like strangers touching me (which is also why I only get my hair cut like four times a year and look like an idiot for the majority of a year) so I always feel like it’d be more stressful than relaxing.

13. Julie says

Just had a massage today! I get a deep tissue massage once a month…a must do when I’m training for marathons/half-marathons!

14. Brian says

I make it a point to get a sports (deep tissue) massage to loosen me up 3-5 days before each target race (4 races of the 18 I run each year) and recommend it also. Comfortable it’s not — I whimper like a guest of the Spanish Inquisition, but a few days after the abuse (undoing knotted muscles, etc.) at the hands of my massage therapist, I always seem to run more easily. I’ve gotten good results from Sports Medicine specialists and from spa environments, but less consistently good from some spa therapists. The spa is usually a bit less $$, and more frequently discounted, but adding the tip (which is not expected in the Sports Med environment) wipes out the difference.

15. karleen says

sooo I started running longer distances again and because I fail to warm up, cool down, and adequately stretch, I now have the stiffest back and hamstrings ever!!! I almost called out sick because it’s so painful! It gave me a harsh dose of reality and made me realize that stretching/yoga is a necessity! HAVE to start incorporating that into my workouts. Going to check groupon for a nearby yoga deal.

I had a groupon for a massage that I used in the winter. It was amazing. Since I am marathon training I’ve been looking into more massages-some places have student rates which is awesome too! I’m all for lazy yoga as well :)

Thank you for the massage reminder! I was doing pretty good at getting Groupon massages here and there, maybe one every 1-2 months. But I’ve been slacking lately. I thought ahead and bought a yoga package that came with a discounted prenatal massage that I’m saving when I’m sick of having a watermelon-sized baby bump here in a couple months :)

Massages are my FAVORITE thing! I will totally vote for you if you make that your presidential platform. I actually just got one a few days ago, but usually it’s every 3-4 months if I’m lucky.

19. Amanda says

Check out Becca Riopelle’s classes on yogadownload.com. They are more bootcamp like and such and awesome workout!!!

I totally agree, the time I got one the night of running a half, was by far my fastest recovery time ever. I got hooked on them 13 years ago….the best.

Of course, after hard work training, massage is the thing to do to reward yourself. Massage will make your muscles relax and blood circulate better after workout.

22. Jess says

Is that deal still available for yogadownload? Also what did you think of doing classes at home? I’m usually a yoga class go-er.. but am about to be a new mom so maybe this is the answer.. let me know how you liked it!

Yes it’s still available. I am the worst about actually getting to a class, so I like this! The descriptions are pretty good too, so if you’re already a master yogi you can find a good class for you.

• G says

The benefit of going to a class is the corrections. Since you are yoga downloading, I will gently remind you to roll your shoulders down and back in upward dog and focus on getting you hips up higher in downward dog. Bend your knees a little and really push them back.

23. Tricia says

I think if you are a distance runner, you can’t afford NOT to get massages. I’m currently training for my first marathon, and am getting them every 2 weeks. Some people may consider them a luxury, but then you find out they don’t blink twice at getting their nails done every 2 weeks at $50 a pop. I consider it an investment in my training, which I’m serious about, and think it’s absolutely priceless how much better my muscles feel better afterward.

I’ve never heard of yogadownload.com before! That is a great thing to have as I would have to drive an hour to a yoga class!

Gosh, I do need a massage. It has been way too long since I had a good massage. Ha! Ha! what a great way to call massages ‘Lazy Yoga’. It is certainly a fantastic way to be relaxed after some intense workouts.