Last Minute Road Trip to Palm Springs

This post brought to you by Summer of Groupon. All opinions are 100% mine.

ROADTRIP!

summer of groupon palm springs 15 450x800 thumb Last Minute Road Trip to Palm Springs

My 4th of July was semi-low key so I really wanted to do something FUN this weekend. Since I didn’t have anything planned I decided to hit up Groupon and see if there was anything available within driving distance.

It’s a holiday weekend so I wasn’t expecting to find anything for Saturday, but I did! There was a deal for The Skylark Hotel in Palm Springs. This particular Groupon automatically reserved the night so all I had to do was show up.

Next thing ya know I’m on the open road…

road trip 800x600 thumb1 Last Minute Road Trip to Palm Springs

The big ol’ fans are a sign you’re almost there.

summer of groupon palm springs 13 600x800 thumb Last Minute Road Trip to Palm Springs

My timing was perfection because we got to the hotel just as a pool party was about to start. There was a DJ and the hotel has a bar in the back.

summer of groupon palm springs 12 600x800 thumb Last Minute Road Trip to Palm Springs palm springs groupon hotel 2 800x600 thumb Last Minute Road Trip to Palm Springs summer of groupon palm springs 11 800x600 thumb Last Minute Road Trip to Palm Springs

After relaxing for a bit I grabbed some Slurpees from 7-11 and headed to my friend’s place to hand out.

summer of groupon palm springs 10 600x800 thumb Last Minute Road Trip to Palm Springs

It was a good night wlEmoticon winkingsmile Last Minute Road Trip to Palm Springs

It is super hot in Palm Springs (under-statement of the year) so I’m happy that today was a rest day from running. We did start the day with my favorite Sunday morning tradition – a walk to find iced coffee.

summer of groupon palm springs 9 800x600 thumb Last Minute Road Trip to Palm Springs summer of groupon palm springs 600x800 thumb Last Minute Road Trip to Palm Springs

I passed a lot of cafes on the walk, but was on a mission to get good iced coffee and heard Espresso Cielo sells cold brewed. The place is super cute too!

summer of groupon palm springs 5 600x800 thumb Last Minute Road Trip to Palm Springs

Bacon Frittata

summer of groupon palm springs 7 600x800 thumb Last Minute Road Trip to Palm Springs

It was a great morning outing, but I’m bummed I couldn’t take a nap on the sidewalk…

summer of groupon palm springs 3 600x800 thumb Last Minute Road Trip to Palm Springs

I think Palm Springs is sooooo pretty. I can’t get over the mountains and palm trees. I think it’s partially because where I live there is always a marine layer that hides the mountains – it’s so clear here.

summer of groupon palm springs 8 600x800 thumb Last Minute Road Trip to Palm Springs palm springs half marathon recap running review 669x502 thumb Last Minute Road Trip to Palm Springs

And when we got back The Skylark had Continental breakfast ready to go.

summer of groupon palm springs 4 800x600 thumb Last Minute Road Trip to Palm Springs summer of groupon palm springs 2 600x800 thumb Last Minute Road Trip to Palm Springs summer of groupon palm springs 1 800x600 thumb Last Minute Road Trip to Palm Springs

Then, it was time to relax….

palm springs groupon hotel 600x800 thumb Last Minute Road Trip to Palm Springs

Check out Groupon for a deal near you.

Question: What cities are “road-trip-able” from where you live?

Have you ever been to Palm Springs?
Groupon

Last Minute Road Trip to Palm Springs

Comments

1. Scott says

I love Palm Springs…been there twice. Once for a wedding (in April) and another time for a trade show (in July). Hit 115 in July, but didn’t actually feel that bad since it was dry (I’d take PSP’s 115 over 95+ where I live any day).

Road-trip-able cities…I suppose Chicago and St. Louis (both are less than 4 hours away, if traffic isn’t too bad)

I have never been to Palm Springs. I really need to make it out the West Coast though more often – it ‘s so gorgeous and different than over here on the East Coast! I live so close to Manhattan but quite often make weekends and/or nights out of the hotels in the city. So fun and feels like vacation.

3. Angie says

I just realized the other day that this is the first 4th of July that we haven’t spent in Palm Springs since we moved from SoCal in Jan. I miss it so much. Even though it’s hot the lack of humidity makes it bearable and the mountains are gorgeous. I love El Paseo too!

never been to Palm Springs but love me a fun last-min road trip! i head to upstate NY quite a bit to escape the city, esp in the summer, and hit the lake life…or else there are quite a few beachy spots nearby too (Hamptons, Long Beach, Jersey Shore). lots of options. but no Cali. :(

5. Shannon in Tustin says

I actually went to high school in Palm Springs–PSHS class of ______ let’s just say Madonna was very popular and some particular British bands sang about “Rio” and “the Reflex”.
    I’ve been back many times since and recently purchased a Groupon to spend two days/nights at a swank little spa hotel in Desert Hot Springs in August for our 20 year wedding anniversary. Even though it will be AFRICA hot, we are looking forward to it. Check out the-spring.com

Wilmington, NC is super driveable for me – it’s exactly two hours away from my home, and I’m actually shooting down there on Friday for a Body Pump training all weekend. Super super super excited to finally get to the beach for the FIRST time this summer :)

I’m so jealous of your weekend getaway! I always see trips on groupon but I’m always a bit hesitant… I don’t really have a reason why, haha. Glad you had a great weekend!

8. Rachel S. says

I haven’t ever been to California much less palm springs, but it looks really pretty. From where I live in PA, I can road trip to New York, Maryland, DC, Philly, lots of places. Aaa the perks of living in small states. When I was in Texas from Dallas I could road trip to Waco, Austin, and Houston. I could drive futher but it’s a pain.

I flew into Palm Springs several years ago on our way to Twenty Nine Palms to stay with my BFF for the week (she was married to a marine stationed there). My first trip to California…loved it!

Driving distance cities..Nashville, Knoxville and Chattanooga and of course Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg aka The Great Smoky Mtns.