What I’m Eating for My Thyroid Issues

Hello! I started this morning with a run in my Dumbo Double Dare tee! Love when I actually like race tees and want to wear them!

dumbo double dare shirt 450x800 thumb What Im Eating for My Thyroid Issues

I tried a new route that ended up being a lot more hilly than I was expecting! 7.5 miles, wasn’t the best run but it worked.

run hilly route 600x800 thumb What Im Eating for My Thyroid Issues

Then, I spent some quality time stretching and watching DCC. My knee is a little sensitive (not when I’m running but I can’t kneel on it and it just bugs a tiny bit) so I iced it too.

stretching after a run 409x545 thumb What Im Eating for My Thyroid Issues

What to eat for my low thyroid issues

I have been searching for a good veggie burger without soy for a long time. I used to eat a veggie burger for lunch every.single.day. I ate it on cabbage slaw with peanut sauce – it was my favorite. Then, I read that cabbage is goitrogen (a food that can interfere with the function of thyroid in people with hypothyroid).

I talked about what foods I eat and avoid due to my low T3 thyroid issues here. (I am not a doctor or a thyroid-ologist so you should not do what some stranger on the internet does.)

And I also learned that I should avoid soy. *I am not allergic to these foods, but should try and limit them.

hipster nonsense thumb What Im Eating for My Thyroid Issues

This isn’t hipster nonsense, but it sounds kinda high maintenance which I realize is annoying. I’ve been struggling with figuring out what is best for my body and diet so I’ve been doing a lot of research lately for a while now.

probably What Im Eating for My Thyroid Issues

I replaced my daily veggie burger with chicken or eggs for lunch. But, I miss them! And I would like to get back to a more plant based diet. Thus, the search for a good veggie burger without soy, but with some protein began.

I have tried a few, but nothing that changed my life. Many veggie burgers without soy have very little protein. I also tried a few that don’t taste great.

I bought these baked spinach quinoa cakes from Costco today.

baked spinach quinoa cakes 800x600 thumb What Im Eating for My Thyroid Issues

So far I like them! They taste great and have some protein thanks to the quinoa and dairy. (They have soybean oil, so if you have a soy allergy head’s up.)

quinoa cakes 800x600 thumb What Im Eating for My Thyroid Issues

They are 50 calories each and about half the size of a normal veggie burger. So you can have 3 of them and rack up 9 grams of protein in 150 calories.

quinoa veggie burger cakes 800x600 thumb What Im Eating for My Thyroid Issues quinoa veggie burger cake review 800x600 thumb What Im Eating for My Thyroid Issues

I’m excited to try them in a wrap or sandwich! Today I crumbled a few on top of a salad.

quinoa cakes review 600x800 thumb What Im Eating for My Thyroid Issues i love eating thumb What Im Eating for My Thyroid Issues

And dinner was good for my thyroid situation too!

Seaweed salad! Sea vegetables are full of iodine which is important for your thyroid.

seaweed for thyroid 800x600 thumb What Im Eating for My Thyroid Issues dad whats sushi What Im Eating for My Thyroid Issues

Question: What did you have for lunch and/or dinner?

Tell me because I need ideas for the rest of the week.

Comments

I had two small (80cal) flour tortillas. On each one I put a slice of reduced fat pepper jack cheese and then heated up two turkey meatballs (trader joes) and sliced them up and put on the tortillas along with salsa verde, lettuce and tomato and a little sour cream. So filling and delicious. :)

2. Stacey says

I make homemade veggie burgers all the time with no soy products. I make huge batches and freeze them for easy lunches!

I’m trying out this whole Paleo diet trend this month. Last night I had some baked salmon and a sweet potato! Yummmmm :) now let’s see if I can stick with it.

4. Laney says

+1 to making your own. I use the method of having my husband make them, which I highly recommend. (We use the Oh She Glows recipe. It’s awesome.)

It’s hard to find a decent veggie burger without soy! I’ve made chickpea burgers with a scoop of pea protein (add a little lemon juice, parsley and roasted garlic) – they are delish and full of protein! I’m sure you could freeze them and have a batch ready for whenever you got the craving! It sucks when you are craving something and can’t find a good replacement! Good luck!

There’s some great recipes out there for all-bean veggie burgers that are super quick to make. I like to make these double bean ones from How Sweet It Is (http://www.howsweeteats.com/2012/06/easy-double-bean-burgers-with-avocado-basil-cream/) – they come together really fast. I make a huge batch on the weekend so then for lunch I just have to warm them back up.
    Lately I’ve been loving baked sweet potatoes stuffed with chickpeas, onions, and feta for lunch.
    It’s a bummer how much soy is in so many foods. I try to avoid it also, and I found out it was in Kashi GoLean. :(

I don’t (think I) have low thyroid, but it can never hurt to avoid foods that might harm it, right? I already stay away from soy as much as I can, but thanks for the heads up! I adore veggie burgers too, but know they are often full of processed crap. The next time I go to Costco I will definitely look for these. :)

Do you have any links to share? I’ve done a ton of research and talked to an RD and only found taking out gluten studies for Hashimoto’s. I actually did eliminate gluten for a long time but started to gain weight again so now I’m skeptical.

8. Delia says

Moosewood Cookbook has a whole section on DIY veggie burgers (no animal products, from my recollection), and some I’ve made came out great and the recipes made several batches worth. As others said, make and freeze! Some of the recipes are more complicated than they need to be but you can forgo some ‘add-ins’ (raisins for eg. in a curry lentil burger, etc.).

Hi! That’s so interesting that you are experimenting with your food to see what feels best. I’m doing the same. I have been eating salads with pouches of tuna on top for protein lately, and some green smoothies on the side. A baked sweet potato can be a good carrier for protein too– have you tried sweet potato boats for lunch stuffed with veggies or eggs? Very delicious!

What thyroid issues do you have? I’ve done a ton of research and talked to an RD and the only studies for avoiding gluten are for Hashimoto’s, which I don’t have. Do you have Hashi’s or just low T3 too?

10. april says

luckily i don’t have any thyroid issues, but i am mindful of my soy intake (i love making tofu for meatless mondays). i’ve been on a search for a good veggie burger, as well. i just tried the engine 2 diet plant burger for the first time on sunday (bought at whole foods) and loved it! i tried the tuscan white bean kale one, but the other options looked delicious, too. just a suggestion :)

Have you ever tried Quorn brand veggie burgers? They’re plant based but they don’t have any soy in them, and they are SO GOOD! They have a really good mock-chicken which I became completely addicted to when I went off of meat for a while. They have them in most regular grocery stores. I try to stay away from soy as well, not for thyroid issues but because of a family history of breast cancer (phyto-estrogens are supposed to be avoided if you’re high risk for that kind of stuff). I also like to make black bean burgers, they are super cheap and easy to make and you can make a big batch and freeze them.

12. Shannon in Tustin says

Big ol’ salad I made myself. I’m day 3 of the “whole 30″ plan in hopes of resetting my sweet tooth and feeling better in general.

13. Brooke says

I’m allergic to soy, and am always excited about a soy free veggie burger! my favorite premade ones are from Trader Joe’s. not a lot of protein, but it’s really nice to have something to throw on the barbecue with everyone else in the summer. And they’re tasty :)
    There’s some really great black bean burger recipes out there too. (or pick whatever bean you like, garbanzo is good too). I’ve found that recipes using bread crumbs help hold them together best. I usually make a big batch, freeze them, and eat them over a month or so.

I was just diagnosed with hypothyroid and I’ve been on meds for a month now. I don’t see that they are making a big difference (yet?), so perhaps I should try changing up the foods I eat too. Great post!

15. Shannon says

Last night I made a Squash/Basil soup, which I have now decided my soups need texture, no food processor to mush everything together. I liked the flavor but was sick of eating the same thing for the entire bowl. I also made pork dumplings and used cabbage instead of dough to wrap them in. We get veggies from a local farm every week as part of a CSA and the girl we picked up our food from one day suggested them, they are now a staple (whenever we get cabbage).

I have a suggestion, what if you just make a batch of quinoa and throw that in your salads with whatever else you are in the mood for?

ohsheglows.com has amazing veggie burger recipes!!! I know it’s really time consuming but I made 16 in a batch before that lasted me for weeks! and THEY TASTE AMAZING! try the walnut lentil or the black bean…..

So, thyroid issues can be tricky, mainly because there are a million reasons problems can arise and diet is definitely an important aspect here. However, if your thyroid is producing enough hormones (T4) and somehow your T3 levels lag behind, it means the hormone isn’t being “activated”. One essential nutrient for this activation pathway is selenium, which is a not-so-talked about nutrient but it’s super important. Brazil nuts, tuna, shrimp, salmon are all great sources. Brazil nuts are such rich selenium sources, you can actually overdose on the mineral by going to town on them. Just some food for thought.

Thank you Aletta! I really appreciate it a RD chiming in! I’ve read this about selenium in the past, but I feel better when I hear it from someone in the field. Please feel free to email me or comment with any other tips or sites with solid research :) runeatrepeat at gmail

I have hypothyroidism and have dealt with it for over a super long time. I stopped taking medication years ago and try to cope with the symptoms with a balanced diet and getting plenty of exercise. Try making veggie burgers at home, that is the only way you are going to get the right amount of protein that you’re looking for.

This post was really interesting to read. For the past 10 or so years I’ve been taking medication for my hypothyroidism, and have looked into certain things to change in my diet but have never delved too deep into research. The motivation to look into it more (and to talk to my doctor about it) and to make some changes is there now. Thank you!

Hypothyroid is a bitch! I’ve been on Synthroid since the late 1980s and I still have ice-cold feet and the occasional sluggo moments. The comments in your post have been really informative. I know about avoiding soy and goitrogens but the selenium thing was something I hadn’t heard about.

21. Stephanie says

I am a ginger (Irish), runner, and have a thyroid disorder. I was diagnosed in 2008 w/ hypothyroid and in 2014 told I’ve got Hashimoto’s. I have eliminated gluten, soy, and dairy completely. I also did an elimination diet to test for cross reactivity and other good sensitivities (e.g. Nightshades).

The issues for most thyroid patients is leaky gut and stressed adrenals, which become affected after cumulative health and dietary issues. To get healthy (improve my running and my life), I’ve had to address adreanals and leaky guy first. In doing so, my thyroid condition has improved. I also had a battery of blood tests run for vitamin & mineral deficiencies. I take selenium, magnesium, Vit D, Vit E, Vit B, and a probiotic daily (common supplements for thyroid patients).

I educated myself using Izabella Wentz and Datis Kharrazian books, and Stop The Thyroid Maddness website. I use Mickey Trescott’s and Sarah Ballantyne’s cookbooks daily.

Best of luck!!!