1. Q: When did you start running?
A: I started running over 5 years ago! Once I found running I became an addict overnight.
I started walking after high school in an effort to lose weight. I would take walks with my friend or my mom and when they weren’t around I would walk on my grandma’s treadmill. I loved walking and eventually bought my own treadmill that I kept in my room. I walked for a few months until I got bored of walking and tried running for a bit. Soon I was walking and running on the ‘mill before school (college) and work (Starbucks). Before I knew it I was running 5 days a week for 60 minutes at a time!
2. Q: I am a new runner – do you have any tips?
A:I have tons of tips! If you have a specific question please email me – firstname.lastname@example.org
But here are some general tips for new runners…
- Don’t expect it to be easy, and don’t get discouraged when it’s hard. Running is difficult, be proud of what you can do.
- The second you feel an injury or that “something is off’ – STOP RUNNING. Finishing this run is not worth being out of commission for 6 weeks.
- Start off slow and find your comfortable pace. A common running mistake is starting out too fast and burning yourself out.
- Fuel properly – eat well before and after your runs. Make sure to eat within approx. 30 minutes after a hard run.
- Enjoy running – if it’s not fun you won’t stick with it!
Also, check out my Training Schedule page for training program suggestions.
3. Q: Does Ben run with you?
A: Sadly, no. I actually run by myself most of the time but Ben has agreed to run a 5k with me so we are going to start training soon!
4. Q: What do you tell yourself to motivate you to run or keep going?
A: I have some quotes that I love to say to myself while running.
5. Q: Do you eat before your morning runs?
A: On long runs – Yes, always. On shorter runs – Not always.
During the week runs of 4 to 7 miles I don’t have a full snack. I may grab a handful of cereal or fruit. (If I’m hungry then I would definitely eat more.)
Longer runs of 8 or more miles I will usually eat PB toast or something similar.
Run SMART Goals
Fill out this form to get the SMART Running Goals worksheet to your inbox!