I have been planing and wanting to make homemade hummus for a long time now. I was very excited to come home the other day and find this on the counter: My mom bought a cute little food processor! Finally my dreams have come true! (How’s that for dramatic.) But, really I already had a HUGE container of garlic that I bought specifically for my new hummus making business. That is why I bought the cans of garbanzos the other day. This also fits in perfectly with the T-day challenge to spend less on food. Hummus is a great choice as a protein for lunch, dinner or snack.
After I saw the processor and said I was going to make a more cost efficient, not to mention delicious, hummus my mom bought a bag of garbanzos. I decided to use the bag so the hummus would be fresher and cheaper! Here are the cooked chickpeas.
*This is a tahini-free hummus recipe. I realize most hummus that you buy at the store contain tahini, so this might be a little different from what you are used to. The benefit of this is that you can cut calories and fat by leaving out the tahini. Also, I do add olive oil for a heart healthy fat and to help make a smoother consistency.*
– Garbanzo Beans : 2 cups (one bag makes several cups so I tripled the recipe)
– Minced Garlic : use to taste, I use A LOT
– Olive Oil : approx 1/4c for every 2 cups of beans
– Spicy Curry Powder: amount to taste
– Cumin : amount to taste
Curry Hummus Recipe:
1. Soak the garbanzo beans overnight in water with salt (skip this step if using canned garbanzos)
2. Rinse them in the morning, add fresh water and salt to the pot
3. Bring the garbs to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes
4. Once done, Save some of the cooking water in case the hummus is too thick (try not to eat all the freshly cooked beans once they are done)
5. Put the cooked garbs, garlic, spices and oil olive in the processor and grind *Remember you cannot take out spices once they are mixed in so be conservative if you are afraid of it being too spicy.*
6. Check the hummus, if it’s too thick add more olive oil or water
7. Add more spices to taste and mix
Join the 21 Day Run Camp now!
Do you want to run faster, stronger or longer? Join in!