Drown Your Sorrows

I had my first Physical Therapy appointment today. And while this is a new experience for me and I was trying to stay positive, there was Good News and Bad News.IMG 5456 400x300 Drown Your SorrowsMy Physical Therapist asked me a bunch of questions and felt around my knee to see if there was any obvious swelling, tearing, messed up crap (that’s a technical term), etc.

She thinks it is Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome aka Runner’s Knee. And prescribed the following course of treatment:

1. No running for 8 weeks
  2. Physical Therapy 2x a week
  3. Hip Strengthening Exercises
  4. No running for 8 weeks – oh, wait I already said that. Well, that’s all I heard when she was talking. You could have heard my heart breaking as she told me that. Don’t doctors realize they shouldn’t give such a harsh diagnosis to someone in a fragile state?! I immediately decided I would take off 3 weeks from running and then see how I felt and judge from there.

So, the very bad news is I can’t run for a while. The goods news is I haven’t slit my wrists just yet. While I am devastated about this, I am trying to focus on keeping myself active with classes at the gym and cross training. The PT doesn’t want me to do anything too strenuous, but I’m going to do any activity I can that doesn’t make my knee hurt.

They had a big poster with knee injuries. I guess it’s pretty common. Boo.IMG 5454 300x400 Drown Your Sorrows

The PT said my knee cap has moved slightly to the left and that is probably what is causing the pain. She taped it to try and move it toward the center and said that taping and hip exercises will hopefully train my knee cap to get back in line.  My skin is super red here because I was icing my knee, sorry.IMG 5473 300x400 Drown Your SorrowsI will continue to document my knee rehab here. I have another PT appointment on Monday and will get the MRI results next week.

I am determined to will run a 1:45 half and sub 4 hour full this year.

I know I have to get my knee back to 100% in order to do that and it’s going to take a while. I’m willing to work at it. For now I’m going to focus on cross training and weight loss – I’m hoping that combination will make me a better runner overall.

Don’t mind me, I’m just drowning my sorrows tonight… IMG 5468 400x300 Drown Your Sorrows

So, along with some much deserved wine at dinner I had a big salad, a few raviolis and bread. IMG 5460 400x300 Drown Your SorrowsI topped the salad with chickpeas and peanuts – it was so good.IMG 5462 400x300 Drown Your Sorrows

This afternoon I was babysitting and brought along a snack of apples and almond butter. This was a little messy to eat and I needed to get every last drop of AB out of that container. IMG 5459 400x300 Drown Your Sorrows

Since I broke my USB I have resigned myself to the fact that I am turning my project in late (Monday) so I’ll be working on it over the weekend. Thanks for the tips though icon smile Drown Your Sorrows

See you guys tomorrow icon smile Drown Your Sorrows Stay tough!

pin it button Drown Your Sorrows

Comments

1. Lauren says

Eight weeks?! Geez! You don’t realize how much you love running until someone tells you that you can’t. Wow. Well, here’s to hoping that your knee heals (much much) faster than that.

Sorry to hear about this :-( But it’s better to listen to the Dr and be 100% again than to try something foolish and really wreck your knee. You’ll be a prorunner in no time when you’re back in action

3. Katy B says

Heyo! Long time reader, first time commenter.

First of all, I am so sorry about your injury.

Just remember that the doc didn’t say “no more running, EVER!” You’re a strong woman! (Although I think that is a bit of an understatement.)

Your blog is awesome! Love it :)

I wanted you to know, that I have been a long time reader of your blog and it is one of my favorite blogs to read. I’m being completely honest in saying this, not just saying this because you were just dropped a bombshell about your knee. You are honest and don’t hold back and I appreciate that so much more than bloggers out there who are all “I just eat amazing grass and never have artificial sweetners and do yoga”. I just wanted you to know this because running does not define who you are- you are a great person, with or without running. Keep the faith! :)

PS. is your physical therapist hot? mine is, which makes going all the better…..

bummer about the lay-off but try to stay positive (have lots of wine if that’s what it takes ;) ) and know that youll be coming back so much stronger and pain free

Sorry about your knee!!! I had the same problem n high school when I played softball. It still bothers me sometime–but I just wear a knee brace when it acts up and then it gets better. You’ll be fine, just do the exercises they suggest! I learned that the hard way…

I hope you feel better soon! I have had that in the past, it didn’t take me 8 weeks so maybe it will be quicker for you! On the bright side, maybe you will find some other type of exercise you really enjoy as well!

I´m so sorry to hear you won´t be able to run for so long :/
    Well, I guess it´s for the best…
    I hope your knee gets better soon!
    Oh, and by the way – loved the chickpea/peanuts combinations! Looked ah-mazing!
    ;)
    Brazilian XOXO´s,
    Gabriela

9. Dynamics says

Bummer, My daughter has that. Make sure you learn how to tape your knee. On bad days you can tape it yourself and it helps. Do your exercises. Eight weeks seems to be extreme. Be strong and you will bounce back in no time at all.

I’m sorry to hear about your knee, but you seem to have a pretty great attitude about it. Maybe you could try swimming? It works entirely different muscles and works things in ways other exercises just can’t. A fun challenge for these next couple of weeks, perhaps?

Sorry to hear that — I have good news for you though! I had runner’s knee also, about 2 years ago. I did not see a physical therapist, resting did tons of time on the recumbent bike (boring, but effective) and did 3 simple exercises every day to strengthen the muscles around my knee.

I only biked for about 2 weeks then would try the elliptical and bike, then did the run/walk. I actually lost weight when not running (oh miracle of miracles) and came back a little stronger. I’ll look for the exact instructions for the 3 exercises and email them to you.

All is not lost! :)

Aw girl, I’m so sorry!!! I completely understand. When my doctor told me that I wouldn’t be running for months, that’s all I heard too. Broke my heart into pieces. But I’ve made it about 6 weeks and counting…you can do it!! You will come back stronger than ever!

Monica you’re going to be okay! Chin up runner girl! I have found physical therapy for patellafenoral totally works. I went through pt after my first year of running and while I still wear a patella strap, increasing quad strength and doing the exercises really helped. You WILL meet your goals, even if the road is a little bumpy along the way.

So sorry about the bad news Monica! It can be hard, but it also can help refocus you on your running. I had to take a month off this past december and not only did I come back pain free, but I also felt refreshed! And try not to worry about changes in weight because you aren’t running — your appetite will really go down, and as long as you do something, you’ll probably be fine. I actually lost a few pounds when I wasn’t running. Good luck! :

Random question, those raviolis look exactly like these really amazing spinach/cheese ones my mom used to get at Costco, I think. They came in a really big bag. So what kind are those?

Hang in there!
    Hopefully your knee will take less time to heal and perhaps your MRI results will give a different diagnosis—one with a quicker fix. It’s really hard to be still when you have to give up something you love. 8 weeks seems like an eternity, but if it helps heal you, it’ll be well worth it.

My husband has many knee ailments (not runner’s knee–or maybe he does and we just don’t know it?) but in 2004 he had his meniscus repaired and the doctor told him right then that he should never run again because he has almost no cartilege left (he also had his ACL repaired in 1997). My husband is in the Army and can’t exactly give up running, so he didn’t listen to the doctor and has acheived great running success since then. He has pain, but he’s figured out to manage it.
    Hopefully the exercises you learn in PT and a with a little trial and error, you’ll be able to find the way to make (painless) running work for you!

I have runners knee too, and it is awful!!!!! Plus my second Half Marathon is in like a week. I cannot take it easy, so I am scared. Oh well. Stupid knee-related-injuries!!!! Curse them!

-Blogger Boy

I know how much this sucks! After my half marathon I had to deal with ITBS and I couldnt run for 5 weeks. I did PT as well. I was devestated but I made it a point to rock it out at the gym. I spent 1 – 1.5 hours at the gym 3-4 times a week. I did the arc trainer, elliptical & bike. I will tell you that the time off plus all the cross training made me a BETTER & FASTER RUNNER!!! I have come back being so much faster then I was before I got injured.

Listen to your body and you will be better before you know it. Good luck.

Sorry about the diagnosis! Just follow doctor’s orders and you’ll be back on the road in no time. You don’t want to injure it even worse and have to be out of the game longer.

Aw! I SO know how you feel! I had the exact same syndrome last summer and was down and out from running for a good 6-8 weeks! I must say I was totally bummed at first but the PT made SUCH a difference, and it was worth going through it to strengthen my knee and my hip (since apparently weak hips are part of the problem for this type of knee injury) and was good as new after that. It also forced me to try new forms of cardio to keep me going while I couldn’t run – I was able to spin and do some forms of workout DVDs too to keep me going. You will be just fine, just try to be patient and enjoy the PT time, I actually enjoyed the PT time, my therapists were awesome!

That’s really interesting … I was diagnosed with the same thing but never told that I can’t run. In fact, I was told that when I run I should be taping my knees so that they’re not getting irritated.

I also have some hip strengthening exercises and I’ve been practicing yoga 1-6 times a week – I find that really helps!

One thing my PT said is that if I do any kind of strenuous exercise or a heavy workout aside from running, where I’m using my legs a lot, I should be taping my knees as well. I did a Biggest Loser workout and pushed myself and my knees just ached for the rest of the day. Now when I tape them, they’re fine!

Were you told to wear the tape for long periods of time?

K

21. Tammy says

I had the same issue with my knee and stretching my IT Band made ALL the difference in the world…that and foam rolling. I have also heard that if there is a muscle imbalance between your quads and hams, it can cause undue strain. Hope you get better soon! Don’t do too much trying to compensate for not being able to run! Happens to me EVERY time and I end up prolonging the recovery!

I’ve got this too! I’ve had it since high school and have had periods of pain, but then months and months of nothing. I used to wear a knee brace for it, but no longer need it. I haven’t had any knee problems for quite awhile…until 3 weeks ago. I injured my LCL :( It’s finally starting to heal – good thing too – my first half is in less than 2 weeks! Knee problems suck!

23. Gabriela says

Hey I just came across your blog from hungryrunnergirl. I just got diagnosed exactly that patellofemoral pain syndrome because I have a high patella and abnormal Q angle =( The worst part is that the pain began just three weeks when I started running (and enjoying it). I had been doing Insanity to raise my endurance. Now I’m barely allow to walk. I’m starting my PT tomorrow, hopefully I will be able to resume running.