D.C. Zoo

Ben and I went to the D.C. Zoo today. It was such a beautiful day we wanted to do something out doors.

IMG 5995 thumb D.C. Zoo

The first we saw were the lions. I always love looking at the animals since I love all big ol’ fuzzy things, but then I feel bad that they are all caged up. Do they you visit animal sanctuaries? Because I don’t exactly have the money to go visit Africa…

IMG 5999 thumb D.C. Zoo

See the tiger in between our heads? Ha!IMG 6003 thumb D.C. Zoo

I was responsible and packed us lunches, but we couldn’t resist buying some popcorn to go with it. Ben and I shared a popcorn and ate our lunches. I had a hummus sandwich, carrots and chips.IMG 6028 thumb D.C. Zoo

Q: What’s better than a four dollar diet coke?

A: A four dollar diet coke in a cheap “souvenir” cup!IMG 6032 thumb D.C. Zoo

The real reason to go to the D.C. zoo is the panda bear (not plural as I only saw one). They are the most recognized endangered species in the world and this zoo is one of the few that has them.

This guy sat like this practically the whole time we were there (and it was a while!). He was using the rock like a chair and just sat there eating.IMG 6012 thumb D.C. Zoo

He only got up for a minute to grab some more bamboo and then sat back down. You can watch the panda live at http://sidown.si.edu/     (*The sight is down until Sunday)IMG 6023 thumb D.C. Zoo

These signs were all around the zoo in front of the cages. I told Ben I want to wear a sign like this a parties so people don’t try and give me things I shouldn’t eat (these are jokes people, lighten up). IMG 6039 thumb D.C. Zoo

If I had a sign that explained my Natural Diet in front of my apartment it would say:

“Eats food, not too much (well sometimes…), mostly plants and ice cream”

Ben said my sign would say: “Eats chickpeas and ice cream…”

IMG 6034 thumb D.C. Zoo

After the zoo Ben and I went to an Indian restaurant. The lighting was really bad, so forgive me for bad pics…

I started with a spiked Mango Lassi. They added citrus vodka and it was so good!IMG 6044 thumb D.C. Zoo

Veggie samosas – Ben and I shared these. IMG 6047 thumb D.C. Zoo

I ordered an eggplant dish with bread stuffed with peas and rice. It was really good and spicy. I love when restaurants aren’t afraid to spice it right!IMG 6049 thumb D.C. Zoo

Now Ben and I are watching a (sad) movie and relaxing. I had some sweet rice snacks and tea when I got home, but stopped myself from doing too much damage (after 8).

I need to go reheat my tea – I only like it piping hot!

Comments

Ben’s wrong. It’d be eat chickpeas and froyo :-) Can I get a copy of that sign, too?
    A zoo sounds so fun. I think I need more randomness and nostalgia like that in my life

Looks like you and Ben had a pretty fun day!
    You two look so cute together… :D
    Amazing eats, as usual :)
    Have an amazing Sunday, girl!
    Brazilian XOXO´s,
    Gabriela

3. Ashley C says

I wanna see a panda now! What movie did you guys watch? glad you had a fun day! (and for once you guys had better weather than us in so cal!!)

Love the sign, I need one too. I adore pandas; they are so sweet and gentle. Sounds like the perfect little Saturday :)

My sign would probably say “eats oats, apples, and spinach.” Fiber-ific.

What a fun way to spend such a nice day out! Zoos make me sad too, unless they are really well done. The best zoo I ever went to was in Belize. You almost wouldn’t know that the animals were in captivity because their enclosures were so big and blended into the rainforest.

I love the DC Zoo! The best part about it… it’s free!!
    I think one of the Pandas was pregnant when I went… there were 3 if I recall correctly.
    Fun times!

I love the zoo! I haven’t been to one in forever and this past week I’ve been dying to go. I think it’s because spring has unofficially arrived up here and it’s been beautiful out. I love the zebras.

I need my tea piping hot too…and my coffee. Luke warm or even warm warm grosses me out.

I love zoos and always want to visit them in new cities. I especially love pandas! The whole issue of animals being caged is a conflict for me as well. I understand that it’s important for the preservation of species and it’s awesome that we get to see exotic animals without traveling to their habitat, but something about wild animals being in a small space makes me a bit sad.

Oh my gosh – I am so jealous of your excursion. When I was little – Like 5 or 6, we went to the DC Zoo to see the pandas – I remember being SOOO excited! My grandparents lived in Annapolis until I turned 18, and the zoo and all of the museums were so much fun!

definitely a perfect day to go to the zoo! i’ve only been to the dc zoo once (8th grade washington trip) and i made sure to see the pandas. plus going to the zoo when i was little was always so much fun!

Can you believe I have lived here my whole life and have never been to the National Zoo? I’ve been to the Baltimore zoo, but the national zoo is on my list this year.

Yum – I love Indian food!

I’m sure my brothers and family could come up with crazy signs for my house … they all think I eat weird!

I love zoos, though they make me sad. I also love the water zoos (sorry, the actual name has skipped my brain!). We went to one in San Diego and it was really cool to see all the different attractions. What can I say? I’m a Pisces … I like fish.

K