Coming to Conclusions…

Hello hello! Sorry this post is late, but as long as it’s not my period we’re all good right?

This morning I woke up and realized there are only 60 days until Ben’s reunion and I needed to figure out reservations so we could potentially cancel the “just in case” reservations we already made.

This ended up taking over an hour so I decided to eat breakfast before doing some exercise. I made an egg sandwich with a veggie sausage on a sandwich thin. I am normally not a savory breakfast person, but this was good. I’m not in love with veggie sausage but buy them every now and then so I don’t feel like I’m “missing out” on sausage. IMG 0004 thumb1 Coming to Conclusions…

I also made a big fruit salad icon smile Coming to Conclusions… I can’t wait until I can throw some watermelon in there! IMG 0007 thumb Coming to Conclusions…

Then I crossed my fingers that it wasn’t going to start raining and set out on a walk. I wanted to hit up the store for some yogurt. I’m very happy that it didn’t rain on me as I forgot an umbrella and would have been SOL.

When I got back I made PB&J with carrots and brussel sprouts. Lunch of champions. IMG 0010 thumb Coming to Conclusions…

So after my "Reality of the Situation” post I took a step back to assess what I was willing to do to reach my goals.

I looked into many different dietary modifications, I emailed fellow bloggers for insight and I talked out loud to myself on long walks (at least no one tries to mug the crazy person, right?).

The irony of the situation is I often get asked by readers and friends about meal plans and losing weight. My answer is never the same for each person as I really think you need to make changes that relate to your own reasons for being overweight.

For me it’s:

1. Snacking
  2. Eating while cooking
  3. Overeating at meal times and/or eating Ben’s food
  4. Going overboard with sweets/way too much fake sugar
  5. Not eating enough protein
  6. Waiting too long between meals/snacks so my hunger can’t be satisfied

So I have decided to work on these things that are preventing me from getting to my goal weight. I have also decided to keep a food journal for the next 60 days. I’m putting a time limit on it because I don’t want to write down everything for the rest of my life, but I do need to acknowledge all the food I eat (sometimes mindlessly and therefore “forgotten”).

I am not in any way worried that this will trigger any of my issues since I have read and re-read Intuitive Eating enough to know how to observe my habits without beating myself up over it. For those of you familiar with the lingo, I stay in my “neutral adult” voice and not “critical parent” or “rebellious teen”. Still with me?

I am going to make a separate tab for updates on this so you don’t have to read about it if you don’t want to. I know many of my readers have a history of ED on some level and I in no way want to trigger that.

Please realize I am an adult who is very aware of her goals, mental state and capabilities. I have decided to go about weight loss in a way that is best for me. Only God can judge me now (meaning I don’t really need you to).

Question: Ben’s school is weird and does reunions every year (not every 10 like most). Does your school do that?

pin it button Coming to Conclusions…

Comments

We had our 10 year reunion on 2008, but I didn’t go because it was less than a month before my wedding. Plus, I just didn’t really care to go. My husband’s reunion is this October so we’re planning on going out to California and making a vacation of it. Can’t wait! :)

I just talked about my mindless snacking in my post today. Its definitely something I need to work on! Cant wait to follow your progress :) Good luck!

I have the same “problems.” The worst one is snacking while cooking. When Michael and I cook I graze on everything (especially cheese) and of course, drink a glass of wine or two while cooking….It’s a hard habit to break.

My problem is when I finally get home at night after not having eaten for a good 7 hours I’m starved beyond belief, and end up stuffing myself at dinner. I need to work on that.

Once a year reunions?? With the invention of facebook we don’t even need to do them every 5 years, which is what my high school does. The 10 year is coming up in November..yikes.

I have been working on the same things, but I struggle to find my adult neutral voice. I wish you luck :)

every year? is this high school? college? i feel like not much changes over the course of a year…

and i think you have a very smart plan. you know what the problem is and now are taking realistic steps to fix it. youre taking charge :)

I think your plan of being mindful of those areas sounds perfect. Just being aware that we are honoring our actual hunger signals is important. I can easily get sucked into eating too much when I am cooking and then not being hungry for the meal. I also struggle with waiting too long to eat. Everything I have learned about intuitive eating goes out the window then!

Wonderful plan/post! I have found that addressing the problems and creating a plan of attack, including recording what I eat in an online food journal (SparkPeople) has been wonderful! It’s helped SO much. Now, at the end of the day, I can recognize if I’ve had enough too eat, too many carbs, etc. This rigidity has in turn helped me begin listening to my body. Good luck! I believe in you :)

9. Amelia says

I really appreciated reading this today. I’m struggling with losing the last 5 lbs I have standing between me and my “happy weight” and know that it’s the little habits keeping those 5 lbs on. It’s so refreshing to read your blog posts about your struggles with bad habits because it makes me feel normal!! Good luck on your new goals :)

10. Ashley C says

Awesome plan- writing things down is totally key for me. Even if it’s just for me to see I don’t want to binge and see the bad numbers.
    I agree with you soo much about the watermelon- I’m as crazy about it as you and have been wanting it to come into costco again! (cherries too!!)
    I’ve never heard of a reunion every year either- kinda weird but cool if you like who you went to school with!

We had a 5-year reunion last year but I was living in Korea and couldn’t go. Usually it’s every 5 years and the only people I’ve heard of having reunions EVERY year are the elderly — a lot of people in their 80s+ have reunions every year because of obvious reasons. :)

Sounds like a great plan! Eating while cooking used to be something I really struggled with too. I found, that if I get a small pack of raisins, and snack on them while cooking; it really helps! If I am not hungry enough to want the raisins, then I know that I’m just feeling really “snacky,” and that it really has nothing to do with hunger at all.

I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely enjoyed every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the new stuff you post.