Seven Deadly Health Habits

I had a lunch date with my friend Kristin today. So, after my run I frantically ran out the door to meet her.

Doctor Oz recently had a show about 7 Deadly Sins to your Health and I am guilty of one big time, all the time: Being Late.

He said if you’re not 5 minutes early you’re 10 minutes late. I think I am going to start thinking like that and trying to get places early. I definitely just give myself anxiety when I’m running late and that’s not fun or healthy icon sad Seven Deadly Health Habits

Here is the full list of Deadly Sins…

1. Not Stretching when you wake up
  2. Not Eating Breakfast
  3. Running Late
  4. Mindless Eating
  5. Being a Couch Potato
  6. Disconnecting from family and friends
  7. Not having a bed time

I was lucky enough to randomly catch the show at my nail salon the week before last, but he has some snippets on the web : Seven Deadly Habits You Need To Break Now

Since I was running late to meet my friend I didn’t enjoy the drive, but on the way back I really appreciated the scenery…the traffic was super light and so much of the drive was windy, open roads icon smile Seven Deadly Health HabitsIMG 0035 thumb Seven Deadly Health Habits

Kristin and I hit up Panera and I could not decide what I wanted. It was a close call and I finally went with pick two. Salmon salad, black bean soup and a whole wheat baguette. I ate every last bite and still felt hungry! I’m a beast today.

IMG 0032 thumb Seven Deadly Health Habits

Then, I had 5 minutes to grab my stuff and get to my babysitting gig. Before I left I put some chocolate almond butter on a piece of bread since I was craving something sweet.IMG 0037 thumb Seven Deadly Health Habits

I also had a LaraBar while sitting. IMG 0039 thumb Seven Deadly Health HabitsWhen I got home Ben and I took a short walk to discuss the day’s events and before we left I grabbed a handful of grapes (thank goodness they’re almost gone).

I had the most random, but intense craving for dinner = hard boiled eggs. I felt like I couldn’t go another day without eating one. Isn’t that weird? IMG 0049 thumb Seven Deadly Health Habits

The rest of dinner was a big salad with major hummus. For the carb factor I had some Veggie Crisps too. IMG 0047 thumb Seven Deadly Health Habits

And an apple for dessert.  IMG 0053 thumb Seven Deadly Health HabitsNow I should brush my teeth and relax for a bit. Today and yesterday were both a little crazy in Benica-land and we need to recharge.  See you tomorrow!

Question: Are you guilty of any of the 7 Deadly Habits? Are you usually early or late to events??

Comments

I’m one of those people annoyingly early to everything.
    I’m guilty of not stretching, which also isn’t good because I run 10 miles right when I wake up.
    But now I feel soooo good for having a bed time!

Besides 2 and 6 at one time or another I am definitely the others! GAH!! Can you say WAKE UP CALL!!! Thanks for posting this!

Thanks for the reminders! I need to take better care of myself, too.

1. Not Stretching when you wake up ……. TOTALLY ME
    2. Not Eating Breakfast …..I’M ALWAYS STARVING SO I EAT.
    3. Running Late…. NEVER
    4. Mindless Eating ….SOMETIMES
    5. Being a Couch Potato …..NEVER
    6. Disconnecting from family and friends…..FOR SURE. IT’S HARD BALANCING WORK, RELATIONSHIPS, EXERCISE AND DOWNTIME. :(
    7. Not having a bed time …..NEVER A PROBLEM.

i 100% agree with dr. oz on being late. i’m so early to things it’s ridiculous. i always bring a book to read because i get places early. which is why i don’t stand for tardiness from anyone. if you’re not on time, i’m done haha.

i’m totally guilty though of #6. i tend to get soooo wrapped up in my work ad stress that everything else gets put on the back burner. which sucks because that’s when i need my friends the most!

but the rest i’m really good with. the stretching waxes and wanes but everything else is looking nice for me. yay haha :)

Oh man, I am ALWAYS late! :( It does add a ton of unnecessary stress to my life…I’m definitely going to try the set your watch (or, in my case, my cell phone) 5 minutes ahead strategy and see if it helps!

I don’t stretch when I get up—I save that for later after a run or in the afternoon. I’d rather sleep in an extra 5 minutes, I guess.
    I’m always super early– my dad was military and it was ingrained in me that on time = late. I don’t judge late arrivers only because I am married to one and I see exactly what happens….it’s not personal and I had to learn that!
    Most of the other healthy habits I practice…so…phew!

I’m guilty of numbers 1, 3, 4, 6, and 7. Gosh that is not good. Although number seven isn’t really my fault (see my post from today if you wanna know the dirt deets). I have been craving hard boiled eggs lately too! I made a batch last night. I think it might be because easter is coming up :) Have a good thursday!

Interesting….I’m definitely guilty of mindless eating and disconnecting from family and friends. Although, with blogging/Facebook, I’m not as disconnected as I used to be.
    I tend to run late more often than I’d like; my husband, due to years of military training, is always super, seriously early, which I hate. I’d rather be right on time or a few minutes late than TOO early. But, that’s just me.

I thought you weren’t supposed to stretch cold muscles?
    Maybe you’re craving hard boiled eggs because it’s almost Easter and you really want to dye some eggs?

I think the only one I’m guilty of is not stretching in the morning! Either I get up and immediately start getting ready for the day or I’m up and off to the gym. And I’m an early arriver. Probably to the point of driving people insane…

Lets see, I am guilty of #s 1, 4, 5, and 6. I am very good at being on time though. I believe that being 10 minutes early is being on time. Growing up my mother was always late to everything! I think I just got so annoyed that I learned to be early.

Haha, I love the reference to Benica. You two are great.
    I don’t have a set bedtime and I think I need one. It would ensure that I’m actually getting enough rest and not relying on sugar/caffeine to keep me alert during the day!
    But I feel like Dr. Oz is one of those people who thinks everything is World War III. He loves hyperbole.

mmm the panera bread black bean soup is great. And i have those same cravings with hard boiled eggs. you described the feeling perfectly.