Eating Out (side) and Intuitive Eating

Hello! Did you guys run a 5K Friday today?! I did. My friend Susan actually met me for a run this morning. I took this pic while waiting for her icon smile Eating Out (side) and Intuitive Eating IMG 9557 thumb Eating Out (side) and Intuitive Eating

After my 3.1 mile run I made a yogurt bowl for breakfast. Chobani pineapple, cereals, apple banana and almond butter. This was super filling!IMG 9560 thumb Eating Out (side) and Intuitive Eating

It’s so weird that these apple bananas look like bananas and taste like apples!IMG 9562 thumb Eating Out (side) and Intuitive Eating

I took pictures of my lunch in the work lunch room, but realized I really needed to get out of the office for a few minutes. IMG 9569 thumb Eating Out (side) and Intuitive Eating

Someone from another office walked in during my photo shoot and saw me taking pictures, but didn’t say anything. They just silently judged me. I am now the building weirdo. It’s funny because it’s true. IMG 9570 thumb Eating Out (side) and Intuitive Eating

I packed a salad and a lot of snacks! I’ll probably have the popcorn or Vitatop with lunch.

IMG 9566 thumb Eating Out (side) and Intuitive Eating

Plus a chocolate greek yogurt for protein power. I haven’t tried these yet, so I hope they’re good. IMG 9565 thumb Eating Out (side) and Intuitive Eating

But, then packed it up and went to…. SONIC. I am obsessed and it’s not good for my bank account.

But being outside in Southern California on a beautiful day like this is good for my soul icon smile Eating Out (side) and Intuitive Eating IMG 9573 thumb Eating Out (side) and Intuitive Eating

So I’m chomping on lunch and downing too many chemicals in the form of Diet Coke in an effort to keep my sanity.  IMG 9571 thumb Eating Out (side) and Intuitive Eating

Intuitive Eating – Sorry it’s taken me so long to recap my appointment. My heart and head were somewhere else yesterday.

Evelyn and I went over what I think is my problem and she asked me a lot of questions about my eating habits and beliefs. It’s so therapeutic to say things aloud.

She thinks I don’t eat enough during the day and that’s why I over eat at night. I think she is the crazy one. I think I have a bad history of habitual and emotional eating. So, I have homework to figure out my hunger, habits, timing, satisfaction and more.

Can I just say that I LOVE that she is both an R.D. and a therapist. My body and my brain both need work icon wink Eating Out (side) and Intuitive Eating

Intuitive Eating Homework – I have worksheets that I am to fill out throughout the day. I record the time, how hungry I am, what I ate, how satisfied I am and my fullness. All of it is on a scale of 1-10. IMG 9574 thumb Eating Out (side) and Intuitive Eating

I’m going to do this for two weeks until my next appointment to try and get a better understanding of my hunger and eating patterns. I think this is going to be super helpful for me to get to know my body’s needs.

One of the points Evelyn made though was – these worksheets are supposed to be a tool NOT a burden. I will use them as much as I can, when I can – but my life should not change to accommodate them. They should record my life as is, just with the addition of a few minutes of notes each day.

I have another homework task, but I’ll talk about that later.

Please let me know if you have any questions. She really wants me to use the blog as a tool and write my little heart out about this journey. Chime in as needed.

Question: Have you ever had a problem that other people didn’t think was a problem? What was it?

pin it button Eating Out (side) and Intuitive Eating

Comments

1. Beth says

The fact that I consistently gain and lose the same 10 lbs. I am a “healthy” weight at either of those extremes so nobody seems to think this is a problem, but I can’t help but think that it cannot be great for my body and it is probably also indicative of a deeper problem. I’m actually thinking of starting a blog to help combat this/figure it out.

Yup! When I first tried to tell people about my binging struggles, I don’t think they really believed me or thought of it as a big deal (including my husband!) I’ve since realized that I just needed to keep looking to find people that could relate.

3. Kelli says

Same as Sarah basically binge one day (over 3000 calories) then eat really low calories for a week or so and do it again all over . My weight is teh same so thats why no one knows not even my husband doesnt even know its a scarey feeling like a out of control feelign Hope she helps you!

4. Morgan says

See, I don’t understand when she tells you that she doesn’t think you eat enough during the day. I’ve been reading your blog for a while and you eat a very balanced breakfast, a hearty lunch, etc. If you’re anything like me, it doesn’t matter how much food you’ve eaten already, you’ll binge whether you’re hungry or not. If I’m in an emotional state where I’m vulnerable to a binge, it’s going to happen unless I physically get myself out of the house and do something with myself….and sometimes, it still happens.

Sorry, I just find it really frustrating when people say, well, it’s the binge/starve cycle. Sure, I can see that if you binge on 3,000 calories and then fast for two days for “damage control”, but if you eat the next day and it still happens? I’m at my wits end!

I definitely see my BMI as too high (it’s in the “overweight” range) and where I carry my weight as annoying (all in the gut). But my friends and family tell me I’m fine. Yes, I’ve lost over 90 pounds, and yes I am grateful for that. But that doesn’t mean I’m perfect!

6. Ashley C says

I feel like I have a lot of similar problems as you and I’d like to eat cleaner and lose 10-15 lbs, but everyone says I’m fine. I know my body best though and I know it’s realistic for me.

Intuitive Eating is an amazing concept. The book was a great tool for me when I was at a low point. So cool that you get to talk with Evelyn.

I still have my moments where I struggle. Sometimes a lot of moments. But, I am moving in the right direction. One day at a time.

Thanls for sharing this process with us. I think we could all learn something from your journey with her.

It seems, from all of your posts, like you do eat enough during the day. Maybe I’m wrong, but I wouldn’t have pin pointed that as the problem. I know I certainly can overeat, even when I have eaten enough. I’ll be curious to hear more.

I need to get out more for lunch too. I think my keys are sticky on my work computer from trying to work/read blogs/eat lunch simultaneously.

I’m so happy that you’re getting the help you need. I understand what you mean about people reinforcing behavior you think is negative. I don’t know what your doctor’s perspective is, but I think this happens commonly with friends. Friends want to help you feel good even when your behavior might be less than perfect, so they tend to reinforce the behavior by saying that it’s okay. I’m sure your doctors has her reasons. Maybe you could ask her what parts of the day specifically and what meals does she see you eating “not enough”.