Starting From Scratch

One of the good things about moving is you get to start from scratch with everything. I get to fill up my little house with things I really want to be there.

I also get to fill up my refrigerator from scratch. This makes me happier than it should icon smile Starting From Scratch

I love that I get to pick out exactly what I want and what I don’t want in my house. This is important because in the past I’ve tried to shirk responsibility for the food in my mom’s house or at Ben’s. Blaming someone else is easier than saying, “I bought this knowing I would eat it.”IMG 0324 thumb Starting From Scratch

Now the food in my house is hand picked by me so I have no one to blame (or credit) but myself if there happens to be chocolate chips cookies or pan dulce.

This doesn’t mean I won’t have chocolate chip cookies (or the like) at home – I’m still all about Intuitive Eating. But, it does mean I will be more responsible and aware with my choices.

Before – completely empty!IMG 0319 thumb Starting From Scratch

After- the beginnings of a yummy fridge: IMG 0339 thumb Starting From Scratch

Lunch: The electricity wasn’t turned on until afternoon today and I didn’t have any food at home so I had to go out for lunch. I stopped at TJ’s for a Grab & Go meal.

I chose the Grilled Eggplant Wrap with Spicy Tahini Sauce. I had been eyeing it for a while, but haven’t had an excuse to get it.IMG 0314 thumb Starting From Scratch I loved it! I love eggplant, so this was an easy sell, but I would definitely get it again. The eggplant bites were perfect as is, but the wrap/cabbage filling bites needed to be dipped in the Tahini sauce. The sauce was good, but not spicy at all.

IMG 0316 thumb Starting From Scratch

I also picked up this Balance Bar – Cookie Dough. I hadn’t tried it before and know it’s chocked full of processed ingredients, but I was curious. It was good, but I wouldn’t get it again due to ingredients and size.

IMG 0337 thumb Starting From Scratch

TJ’s Dark Chocolate Wedges!

These are a must have for any purse. Go get them. Now. Trust me, having a piece of dark chocolate after each meal will significantly improve your happiness and outlook on life. It’s science.IMG 0336 thumb Starting From Scratch

I am obsessed with green beans eaten as fries. I eat the entire TJ’s bag of them and then am sad it’s all gone icon sad Starting From Scratch

IMG 0333 thumb Starting From Scratch

The ultimate Almond Snack! Ben is obsessed with Almond flavored things and marzipan. When I saw this Barbara’s Shredded Oats in Vanilla Almond I knew I had to get it for him!

IMG 0330 thumb Starting From Scratch

Put Vanilla Almond cereal together with Pure Almond Milk and you have an intensely pleasant Almond snack!

IMG 0326 thumb Starting From Scratch

We still haven’t slept in our condo as the electricity was barely turned on and we still have most of our clothes at my mom’s. Tomorrow I’m going to pack up clothes to take to my condo and then pack to go to the HLS on Friday. It’s a shame my suitcase is on it’s last leg. I gotta find my duct tape.

Comments

Any pics of the hse anytime soon? :)
    So great to start over! I’ve always wanted a BRAND NEW (ENORMOUS) fridge so that i could start over. For some reason, i spend an hour cleaning out my fridge, and it gets messed up again within half hour. =.=

I just moved and setting up my pantry and fridge has been one of the best bits. It justifies buying all those random supplies like spices and different grains because they are ‘staples’. That fridge is enormous though compared to my shelf in a shared fridge, so jealous!!

Setting up can be a pain but you’re right — it’s so nice to make the decisions yourself. I love my roommate but I’m (secretly) excited to get my own place next year.

I love the idea of being able to start from scratch and fill the fridge with yummy food and ingredients…grocery shopping is fun for me! (i’m a nerd what can I say?)

And I think I get more and more sad that we don’t have TJs here with every blog I read..that eggplant wrap looks great!!

5. Marlon @MeInTheBalance says

Congrats on starting the move-in process. It’s always nice to start with a clean slate–especially in the kitchen. This reminds me, I need to clean out my fridge and pantry today.
    Don’t forget I’m in Orange County, too. Let me know if you need any help. You’re welcome to borrow a suitcase, if necessary. :)

haha I actually really am looking forward to filling up my fridge from scratch when I move. And love that wrap. The roasted veggie one is also delish.

I just started living alone and LOVE the fridge being all mine! I had a roommate who used to get so made at me when healthy stuff was buy one get one free and I stocked up!
    I’ve never tried green beans as fries! Definitely trying that soon!

I can’t wait until I am the kitchen administrator of the house! Living with my mom and brother means that there’s always nonsense like Cheezits in the cupboards. It will be so amazing to be able to decree that there will be no nonsense like that in my kitchen!

I recently just started to work on intuitive eating and went grocery shopping to bring back those items I use to consider forbidden foods. I am not about eating anything I want (within moderation of course) and also eating when I am hungry and not by the clock. I will have to check out those dark chocolate wedges from TJ. I love love love dark chocolate!

10. Ashley says

Hi Monica, I’ve been such a fan of your blog for a long time. Yours is seriously the best health/food blog out there and I admire your athletic prowess tremendously. Ok, kissing up time over [well, I honestly did want to lay it all out there in case I never comment again] :) What specific ingredients, if any, do you object to in Balance bars? I ask because a while ago I had intestinal surgery and had to eat a low fiber diet – Balance bars don’t have a lot of fiber, but they seemed nutrient dense for the calories. I still eat them, even though I’m no longer on the restricted diet, but after reading your post I wonder if I should…