The Race Is Half Full

This morning I woke up and had to talk myself into tackling a run. I had plans for coffee and had to get out the door if I wanted to get 10 miles done. Speaking of… a few weeks ago I said that I was going to try and go for the full marathon at Surf City. But, after much thought I’ve decided to pull back and only do the half. surf city logo thumb The Race Is Half Full

If I would have wanted to do the full I would have needed to do 18 miles today, but only would have had one week of taper before the race. I am adamant about enough taper and rest before a big race, so this was already stressing me out. I had been on the fence about this since I realized that. Then, last weekend’s half made me realize that I want to run a full marathon, but I want to give it the training it deserves so I can be confident.

I’m definitely bummed about this – especially because Surf City was my first full marathon and I wanted to return to the scene of the crime and PR. But, I am not physically or mentally ready and I need a break.

I was waking up for my Long Beach training runs excited, but lately I’ve been dreading them and I don’t want it to be like that. I’m just running the half for fun now (since it’s already paid for), so that’s that.IMG 7024 thumb The Race Is Half Full

After my slow run, I had 3 minutes to make and eat breakfast. I decided on a yogurt mess in a cantaloupe bowl.

IMG 7037 thumb The Race Is Half Full

Then, I was off to meet Kaitlin for coffee! She lives in LA, but has a hair dresser close to me so we worked it out to kill birds and stones and put them in a bush instead of our hands… You get it.

IMG 7047 thumb The Race Is Half Full

We walked around downtown Orange and checked out a few antique stores and a super cute kitschy random store where I wanted to buy a ton of stuff I don’t need.

IMG 7048 thumb The Race Is Half Full IMG 7051 thumb The Race Is Half FullOkay, I did get this meal planner pad. Each page helps plan out a week of dinners! IMG 7050 thumb The Race Is Half Full

It’s always fun to hang out with blog friends! Thanks for meeting up Kaitlin wlEmoticon smile37 The Race Is Half Full

IMG 7052 thumb The Race Is Half Full

On the way home I had to pick up some inner tubes for our bikes. The weather is so nice Ben and I want to get back to riding! I didn’t pick up this glide, hope I don’t regret it later.

IMG 7054 thumb The Race Is Half Full

Then, I attacked lunch. I was suddenly starving and quickly heated up the bread and pizza from last night.

IMG 7057 thumb The Race Is Half Full

And ate it with my leftover salad topped with some of Ben’s eggs.

IMG 7061 thumb The Race Is Half Full

Question: Have you ever dropped out of a race or dropped to a shorter distance?

This was definitely a hard decision for me to make and I had been going back and forth about it for weeks now. I think know I can finish the full marathon, but I don’t want it to be a march to my death. I know I’ll be sad on race day, but I think this is the smarter choice (just not the most exciting or challenging one).

The good news is, I have already decided on a Spring marathon that will give me enough time to train. So I have something to look forward to, train for and be excited about!!!

Comments

The thought of doing another full marathon and not being excited about it sounds horrible, so you definitely made the right decision by doing the half instead. I did the Surf City 5k a few years ago and it poured the whole time- it was horrible! At least the weather will be good this year :)

2. Wendy says

I enjoy your blog and your style! Can I ask what store that CUTE abc bag was in? Love it.

I did Surf City last year and that course is sooooo boring. Out, back, out, back, kill me now! I’d say if you’re not feeling it 100%, that is not the race to do (but you’ve done it so you know that). I can see why so many people do the half!

Wish I would have known about RunEatRepeat a year ago! My brother and I flew to California last year to run the Surf City Marathon, and we ran the Carlsbad Marathon in 2009!

I tried running a 50k once that was supposed to be one of the hardest in the southeast. The hills were straight up the entire time and we had to cross several creeks and a river! After 7 hours of running and 28 miles, I called it a day. I didn’t get my finisher’s hat, but I was still proud of myself. :)

Don’t fret about switching to the half. Plus, you’re not useless/tired/cranky the rest of the day, which is awesome.

That is really great that you are doing what is best for you! I wish I had been that smart but I am way too stubborn. My second marathon I was not prepared for at all and I definitely paid the price!

I’m currently registered for a 5-race series here in St. Louis, but I’ve skipped the last two. They are outside, and when it’s 10 degrees running outside is just too miserable. Instead I’ve been doing long runs on the treadmill. It’s kind of upsetting because I love racing, but getting in pleasant training runs for the future marathon is more important!
    I think you’re making a good decision!

6. Ida says

I think you did the right thing. no point in running a full under trained, and then having to recover. better to just keep on trucking and do a different full later on.

The best solution? DON’T be sad on race day! You’re still going to have fun, and you’re still running, doing something cool among other cool runners. There will always be plenty of races, Monica. But I still hope you fully enjoy this one! :-)

And Kaitlin!! She’s so sweet. :D

8. Karynn says

I giggled with the picture of the cock blocker :) I had to talk myself into my run today too…it was like hello motivation : where are you?! Hahah

First of all. I need me a Cock Blocker.

Secondly, “hoo ha ride glide”? You guys have some amazing products in the US!! I think the attitude here in NL (being the Calvinists they are) would be suffer in silence and don’t draw any attention to yourself. Ha!

I dropped out of a 10K on New Year’s Eve. I didn’t want to do it, but I am actually glad I skipped out on it because 1) I hadn’t run but 10K the entire month due to snow and ice and 2) I was exhausted from work and personal stress (family illness, my 18 year old cat also died right after Christmas). I wanted to end the year representing who I AM, and felt like a bit of a failure for not showing up. On New Year’s Day I went for a run and it felt SO good – I knew that that I wasn’t a failure but that sometimes it’s really OK to just say “no” to an event and take care of yourself.

You know yourself better than anyone. I’m sure you’ve made the right decision!

I am just going through something similar….. I found I have left my training time too short for the Paris Marathon in April sadly, so recently took the hard decision to just go for the Monaco half in March instead and go from there when I know and feel I am 100% ready!!! No point risking injury!!! Bravo to us :0)
    thank you for posting that…. Don’t feel so alone in my decision now :0)
    Bliss
    Loulou

It’s always best to listen to your body. No shame in going to the half…ok, ok, I may be biased because I’m running that half too ;)

See you there!