Mexican Meatless Monday–Easy Enchiladas

Mexican Meatless Monday is back! I’ve been neglecting it because now that I live in Orange County I’m trying to keep my Mexican-ness on the down low. (source)super cheesey cartoon sorry thumb Mexican Meatless Monday–Easy Enchiladas

Remember when I dyed my hair blonde? Talk about a FAIL wlEmoticon sadsmile5 Mexican Meatless Monday–Easy Enchiladas Someone should have told me looking albino isn’t my thing…albino alligato thumb Mexican Meatless Monday–Easy Enchiladas

Not really. California is basically Mexico and I’m loud and proud about it. You should have seen me requesting Volver from the Mariachis yesterday…IMG 5492 thumb1 Mexican Meatless Monday–Easy Enchiladas

Tonight I made super easy enchiladas stuffed with onions, beans, mushrooms and cheese.IMG 5415 800x600 thumb Mexican Meatless Monday–Easy Enchiladas

Ingredients: IMG 5374 800x600 thumb Mexican Meatless Monday–Easy Enchiladas

The key to making a vegetarian dish “meaty” without adding fake meat is mushrooms. They have such a good bite!IMG 5375 600x800 thumb Mexican Meatless Monday–Easy Enchiladas

Step 1: Cook onions, mushrooms, garlic (optional) through. Add can of refried beans, season to taste.

Step 2: Set up your enchilada rolling station. IMG 5379 800x600 thumb Mexican Meatless Monday–Easy Enchiladas

Don’t use the tortilla with a hole… IMG 5383 800x600 thumb Mexican Meatless Monday–Easy Enchiladas

Step 3: Spread 1/6 of filling onto tortilla. IMG 5386 800x600 thumb Mexican Meatless Monday–Easy Enchiladas

Add cheese.IMG 5392 800x600 thumb Mexican Meatless Monday–Easy Enchiladas

Roll.

Recognize that there’s blood on your tortilla. Inspect.IMG 5388 800x600 thumb Mexican Meatless Monday–Easy Enchiladas

F. You are bleeding. Way to go genius.

Get band aide. Finish rolling enchiladas. IMG 5390 800x600 thumb Mexican Meatless Monday–Easy Enchiladas

(I slammed my finger earlier and when I hit it again while cooking thought it was just hurting because of that. Don’t worry the bloody enchilada was already mine because I use different tortillas for Ben and myself.)

Step 4: Top with Trader Joe’s green salsa. IMG 5396 800x600 thumb Mexican Meatless Monday–Easy Enchiladas

Step 4 1/2: Drink the rest of it.IMG 5406 800x600 thumb Mexican Meatless Monday–Easy Enchiladas

Step 5: Top with cheese and bake until melted/heated through.IMG 5401 800x600 thumb Mexican Meatless Monday–Easy Enchiladas

Eat!IMG 5414 800x600 thumb Mexican Meatless Monday–Easy Enchiladas

Happy Meatless Monday wlEmoticon smile46 Mexican Meatless Monday–Easy Enchiladas

Comments

I’m embarrassed to report how many times I’ve smeared blood on whatever I was cooking. It’s usually because I slice my hand open cutting veggies and think it’s no big deal, until there is blood running down my hand. They should make veggie cutting gloves that are knife proof.

YES. I made these last time you posted a little how-to on enchiladas and they were amazeballs. I stuffed them with black beans and spinach. SO GOOD. I am obsessed with that TJ’s green salsa.

Those look delicious! I just moved to an area were there is a TJ, and I LOVE it! I love to see what other people get there because I don’t know what is good!

4. Jolene says

We had taco salads tonight with our fav. salsa verde…must have been in the air! I have to say though the whole blood thing made me queasy…and I’m not normally a queasy-type person when it comes to blood….~shudder~ I’ll be in the bathroom……looking green…like the salsa verde….

5. Ida says

I am addicted to TJ’s peach salsa, but I have yet to try the green. Cooking is a contact sport for me too.

I listened to a Mexican guest speaker yesterday in one of my classes and he discussed cooking a little and I immediately left and went to get some Mexican food…reason #998 why I am a fat girl (on the inside at least)!!! Yay! Mexican Monday for me!!!

7. Jill says

I want enchiladas, NOW!!! Those looked so good. I have to get me some of that delicious looking green salsa on my next trip to TJ’s.

You are SO funny with your bloody tortilla and salsa drinking! These are the kind of posts that I wish more bloggers would do, where you’re still sharing an awesome and easy recipe but allowing your personality to shine through or in this case, be smeared on the actual food :-)

9. Christin says

Wow, you literally put your blood sweat and tears into that meal! And then you drank your salsa verde (which, btw I love that TJ’s salsa, it is bomb) which is even more awesome. The only thing more awesome would have been if you mixed in a shot of Patron lol

Looks delicious! Although I can’t stand mushrooms. They make things taste meaty. There’s a reason I don’t eat meat, blech! ;) My husband loves them though, so they definitely are the key to making him a yummy veggie recipe.