Local Food in Panama

After the Panama Canal we went to Ciudad Viejo. It’s one of the older areas of Panama and has a lot of history. IMG_1240 (800x533)

We visited a few Catholic churches. I may have mentioned it, repeatedly every time I do confession Thursday but I was raised Catholic and really appreciate this.IMG_1231 (533x800)

Said a little prayer here <3 I needed that.IMG_1235 (533x800)We walked around and explored building and more churches that were built in the 1600s. Remember, I live in SoCal where basically nothing is older than the 1980s so it’s big deal to me.  IMG_1244 (800x533) IMG_1246 (800x533) IMG_1251 (533x800)

It was hot so we grabbed some raspados from a cart for refreshment. IMG_1267 (800x533)

And continued to explore…IMG_1253 (800x533)

There was an amazing view of the Panama City skyline! IMG_1262 (800x533)

IMG_1272 (800x533)

From here we had our tour guide drop us off somewhere for lunch. We were insistent on finding something small and local, but that was a battle of sorts. We ended up at a local chain that did have a lot of local residents, so it worked.

I got pollo asada, “salad” (coleslaw) and arroz con vegetables. It might have been my hunger talking, but I thought it was delicious!IMG_1276 (800x533)

We stopped at Dunkin Donuts for the second time today and this time got a treat to go with our shared iced coffee. It was disappointing, which is a plus because I let Ben have it after one bite.IMG_1278 (800x533)

Then, we took a break and headed back to the hotel for a break. Blogging and calls home via Skype ensued.

We decided to look around at a few near-by places for dinner and nothing really jumped out at us. On our route we stopped in a grocery store and decided to piece together dinner there!IMG_1285 (800x533)

I love checking out local grocery stores when I travel. Is that weird?IMG_1283 (800x533) IMG_1284 (800x533)

We ended up with quite the feast and enjoyed our local meal on the floor of our hotel room. Romantic, no?IMG_1290 (800x533)

Our spread included: chicken tamales (wrapped in banana leaves), empanadas, salad, mixed veggies, tuna salad with macaroniIMG_1289 (800x533)

And dessert! A guyaba jelly roll and fancy layered pastryIMG_1302 (800x533) IMG_1294 (800x533)

Ben was proud of his beverageIMG_1304 (800x533)

I was proud to find a Zevia! IMG_1307 (800x533)

We’re heading to a park tomorrow. Better bust out the bug spray!

I also love to check out the food in other countries. Unfortunately I am a vegan and currently living in Paris. I think there might be no other city where it could possibly be as hard as to be be vegan. The French love their butter and there cheese for sure! But I am absolutely in love with the city! For your next trip you should come and visit Europe!

i always think that grocery stores in other countries are like so super cool. i walk down every isle to see the stuff that they have that i’ve never seen. even when i lived in canada and went to the USA, i would always be amazed at the different flavors of soda and the names of chocolate bars. oh – and USA has a much broader selection of “cool” prepared food that i always see on blogs, so there’s been a few times i’ve had to pay extra luggage fees due to me bringing back something loserish like diet cherry pepsi or reese-chocolate shell for ice cream.

i always feel super dorky, but now that i live in an underdeveloped country, going to safeway or walmart is like one of the most exciting things that i do when i come back to a first world country!

i accepted a job transfer in to madagascar a couple of years ago. it was only supposed to be a 2yr gig, but after 2 yrs…it was obvious to me that i wasn’t ready to leave. :)

so many opportunties and life is great,but, our food selection is EXTREMELY LIMITED.

i long for mixed lettuce, berries, muffins (OH MUFFINS!!!), and the foods that i’m used it. but, i tough it out. and then i read blogs like yours – i have become obsessed with yogurtland. i found one on vacation last month and i was totally prepared to eat it EVERY.SINGLE.NIGHT. for supper. i miss it. i cry myself to sleep at night dreaming of it. and live vicariously through you and SR. 😛

It seems really beautiful in Panama! I love buildings that aren’t painted in the “traditional” US colors – I just can’t help but take pictures of them. Have a great time on your trip.

I LOVE going to grocery stores in other countries too! You learn a lot about what locals eat and you can get meals for so cheap. It’s the anthropology major in me :)

That doughnut actually looks like my favorite kind. Good thing I can’t eat them anymore! Because I’d be diving face first.

Aw, romantic dinner on the floor. Gotta love hotel living :)

6. Ida says

I love going to grocery stores in other countries too! It makes me feel like a local. I think it gives cultural insight, is a great way to eat for less $$ and get some in some veggies all at the same time

I love going to different groceries stores even if they are just in the next town over. I always find something new and exciting. My husband and I are headed to Spokane next month and I am excited for my first-ever Trader Joes experience!

I love checking out grocery stores when I travel, too! And not even just when I leave the country…really anywhere. In fact, my family took a little staycation in NYC over the summer (we live in NYC’s suburbs, but spent a weekend in Manhattan), & I spent almost 2 hours one morning strolling along the main street near our hotel exploring the awesome/fancy Manhattan groceries. So much good stuff!