Beginner HIIT Workout

I was asked about HIIT – High Intensity Interval Training this week. Tabata style workouts fall under this category, but they are super intense.

Luckily, you don’t have to jump straight into Tabata workouts and risk collapsing at the gym. Just like you start running by going slower and/or walking, you should start high intensity workouts with easier moves.

I use this Tabata timer to set it up. It’s perfect because you don’t have to see the computer while you’re doing it – just crank up the volume!image thumb Beginner HIIT Workout

Do these 5 moves for 20 seconds. Rest for 10 seconds and Repeat.

*Consult your doctor before starting a new exercise program.

See ya in a bit!

*This workout is being submitted as part of The 6 Weeks of Bliss Challenge!

pin it button Beginner HIIT Workout

Comments

1. Mrs No Spend says

Hi have just saved your blog on to mine. I love the exercises in your video. I really need to get more active. In fact I guess I have got quite lazy over time. I look forward to reading your blog xx

2. Dynamics says

Your cute dog made me laugh. Checking to see what the hell you are doing. Probably more like, what the heck am I missing in there.

This definitely looks like a good introduction into the HIIT workout. I also LOVE that you talk about keeping your chest nice and “proud.” There’s not much there to be proud of, so a little self-esteem boost is always welcome =)

Saving the link to the tabata timer in my favs! I’ve been wanting to try a HIIT workout thanks for the video.
    Your dog is too cute! I have 3 of them. My chihuahua always loves to try and lick my face when I’m doing planks/pushups or any other floor workout haha

should i consult my doctor if im starting a new TV program??!

like i want to get in jersey shore and mob wives but also real housewives of OC and beverly hills. i think i need professional advice to help me figure out how to go about this properly.

6. Adrienne says

Awesome video! So much easier to understand than reading about it. And now I have something fun to do inside today instead of running in 28 degree weather!

I LOVE tabata training. My boot camp trainer has been using these methods for the last couple of years. In fact, we actually have “tabata Fridays” and he sings us “Akuna Tabata” while we grunt and sweat like dogs! Makes the hour fly by.

I was listening to your video, and my boyfriend’s ears perked up and he asked, “They have a ciabatta workout?!?” lol…will definitely have to try!

That’s an interesting workout. Great way to get your heart rate up and do some strength work as well. I am trying to mix it up this year (not just steady pace running) so I am definitely looking for things like this.

Is it just me or is the blog world suddenly abuzz with ‘tabata’ everything? :)

10. Shannon says

Great video! Thank you so much for this being an entry level work out too. Looks like just the thing I want to incorporate into my “Good Morning Get Your Bum Moving” exercises:)

Love the sweet puppy wanting to say hi:)

11. TiffanyS says

I’ve been doing Tabata style workouts for a couple weeks now. They are my trainers new favorite thing. Her program does 8 rounds with one minute rest before the next exercise. So, we do 8 rounds of the same exercise for twenty seconds at a time with a 10 seconds breather. I’m telling you the last two to three rounds are a killer. Burpees are the worst! But, the hour flies by and I’m usually sweating like a pig, so it is definitely a good workout!

12. Michele Williams says

Great vid Monica!! Thanks for posting it, it gives me something to start with, I’ve been reading some things about Tabata style workouts and was a little intimidated but now I’m ready!! I’m going to do this today!! :)