Fig Jam and Cottage Cheese Snack

Yesterday afternoon I went on the hunt for a healthy snack. I wanted something sweet, but with a little protein so I wouldn’t be too much of a snack monster the rest of the day.

I took a cracker…IMG 4552 800x533 thumb Fig Jam and Cottage Cheese Snack

Spread some Fig Jam on it…IMG 4553 800x533 thumb Fig Jam and Cottage Cheese Snack

And topped it with cottage cheese. Delicious and super easy!IMG 4560 800x533 thumb Fig Jam and Cottage Cheese Snack

I’ve been trying to go to sleep early this week so Ben and I haven’t been eating dinner together. So when he suggested a last minute date night I figured it was a good idea.

We walked to a local sushi place that we’d never tried before and it happened to be Happy Hour! Appetizers and drinks were super cheap!! I started with a salad and miso soup.IMG 4564 800x600 thumb Fig Jam and Cottage Cheese Snack

Since they were such a deal we decided to try appetizers we hadn’t had before – octopus balls. IMG 4572 800x600 thumb Fig Jam and Cottage Cheese SnackYes, you read that right, but they were just balls filled with a piece of octopus.

And jalapeño poppers – it was basically avocado stuffed with cottage cheese and fried. Very healthy.IMG 4573 800x600 thumb Fig Jam and Cottage Cheese Snack

We shared the spicy salmon roll and lobster rollIMG 4567 800x600 thumb Fig Jam and Cottage Cheese Snack

IMG 4570 800x600 thumb Fig Jam and Cottage Cheese Snack

Ben suggested Yogurtland for dessert (it’s right next door). I was actually against it, but I am only human so I caved.IMG 4577 800x600 thumb Fig Jam and Cottage Cheese Snack

Just like some people read Playboy for the articles, I go to Yogurtland for the water… Rrrrrright wlEmoticon winkingsmile2 Fig Jam and Cottage Cheese SnackIMG 4589 600x800 thumb Fig Jam and Cottage Cheese Snack

I tried to keep it conservative, my cup is on the right. This is about as conservative as I get…IMG 4580 800x600 thumb Fig Jam and Cottage Cheese Snack

My date <3IMG 4587 600x800 thumb Fig Jam and Cottage Cheese Snack

This morning I woke up at 4:45a for boot camp. I’m really dragging today. After camp I headed home to eat before my run. It was still dark at 6:40a! C’mon sun, get it together wlEmoticon smile8 Fig Jam and Cottage Cheese SnackIMG 4593 800x600 thumb Fig Jam and Cottage Cheese Snack

I drank 2 big glasses of iced coffee with breakfast and will soon be on my way to run. I guess the sun’s not the only one who has to get it together…IMG 4603 800x533 thumb Fig Jam and Cottage Cheese Snack

Question: What’s your afternoon snack today?

I’m out of those crackers now and need another jam and cottage cheese vehicle.

Comments

your dinner looks amazing! I am an eat 5 times a day kind of girl, so my 4th meal is kind of like my afternoon snack? it is an orange and some sort of nut. Today, peanuts!

May I suggest a spoon? Let’s get serious, the cracker is just a way to put delicious things in your mouth. If someone gives you a strange look, tell them you’re going low carb ;)

Agreed! I used to dip honey wheat pretzels and Biscoff cookies in Nutella. Then I realized I could save calories and go “low carb” by using a spoon! :)

That is EXTREMELY conservative with the fro-yo! Impressive restraint!! That’s a very creative snack. I’m struggling with snacking since I’m an afternoon worker outer and things don’t sit very well in my stomach. Yesterday it was habanero kettle chips. Those things were good! Haha.

Jam and cottage cheese is such a wonderful snack. I’ve been eating this since my childhood and it reminds me so much of my grandma. (she would always make this for us as kids)

5. Jessica says

Props to you for not only getting up that early, but working out. Last year I had a few months where for work I had to be up around 4:30 and I was miserable.
    I would be in trouble if we had a Yogurtland. Lucky (or unlucky?) for me the only ice cream in my town is McDonalds, yuck.

May I suggest a rice cake, but one of those thin ones so you are really eating mostly toppings :) I could probably eat crackers and peanut butter and jam all day!

I’m trying to have healthier snacks as well. Yesterday I had celery with peanut butter. The day before was a Larabar. I’m trying to keep them low-carb as well which I am finding really hard. I am going to shamelessly read the comments on your post to see if I can find some new ideas!

My snacks are always so boring, mostly just a piece of fruit and some nuts. Or a Larabar – which is fruit and nuts. Eh, sometimes it’s fun to be stuck in a food rut.

9. MrsCrystal says

Ummmm not a healthy snack today…I had 2 Back to Nature chocolate chip cookies (and a mini Baby Ruth…ugggghhhh sorry…I’m saying sorry to myself) and some mixed nuts.

Honestly, I could eat nuts all day, especially the pecans that my parents crack and shell from sweet home Alabama. They send me gallon bags of fresh pecans that they shell for me!

Whoa! WHAT?! FIG JAM! I need to score me some of that wholesome goodness. I think that would be a most spectacular after work snack.

and you keep teasing this midwesterner with your yogurt places…
    I need to get to one and I’m not talking about their water.

Cheers to you!

I wish I could drink iced coffee before I run but I like to prevent further public embarrassment and avoid pooping myself, so I save the coffee for a post run treat. I did my long run this morning and was hangry when I got home and put cottage cheese on top of my chicken veggie chili…it’s so good. This afternoon’s snack is iced coffee because I have a looong night ahead!

12. ewa_hk says

When I crave something sweet I love having a couple of dates dipped in peanut butter. OMG to die for snack. It is highly addictive, so be careful – very easy to go overboard and have more than you need;-)

My afternoon snack was . I saw your post with the pic of another flavor, and decided to try some of the newer ones from Safeway today. It was so good! I like Greek yogurt so much better than regular. I think it’s way more filling! :-)

Need to get on the jam and cottage cheese train. I’m trying not to eat dessert desserts (like ice cream and chocolate bars) for a couple of weeks, and I’m pretty sure it’s making me a worse person.

My afternoon snack today was some cottage cheese with apple butter and Cheerios and some popcorn!

BTW, Sushi and fro-yo dates go together, not at the same time, but in the same night! One of my fave date nights :D

I had the most boring snack ever: a Kashi crunchy granola bar pack. Gimme another chance some time. I’m going to eat octopus balls tomorrow. ;)

Today it was an apple pear and snow peas and garlic hummus. Yum!

As for the vehicle, we’re a big fan of tortillas. You can make a taco out of anything! :)