Ask a Monican #30

Hello and Happy Thursday! Depending on the week, sometimes Thursday is really my Friday but I do work tomorrow so it’s just a regular ol’ day. Mid-morning I wrestled with this orange. Peeling oranges is not one of my strong suits. (Eating them is.)IMG 7074 800x600 thumb Ask a Monican #30

Lunch was NOT a salad! Crazy, right?! i like salad thumb Ask a Monican #30

Ben has been wanting to eat healthier and we decided to start eating more salads at dinner and lunches more substantial. I made a deviled egg sandwich with chips and carrots. I missed the salad though wlEmoticon sadsmile Ask a Monican #30IMG 7076 600x800 thumb Ask a Monican #30

Ask a Monican #30

Monica from RER answers:

1. Do I really have to get my running shoes from a Running Store? I’m intimidated.

2. Shin Splints – help!

3. How much money do personal trainers make? Can I quit my corporate job and make the same money?

If you have a question for me leave it in the comments or email me at runeatrepeat at gmail.com

And finally, RER was nominated by Fitness Magazine for a “Best Weight Loss Blog” Award. If you have some time to kill, please vote for me here!image thumb Ask a Monican #30

pin it button Ask a Monican #30

Comments

I hate peeling oranges too. I actually have some weird tool that you use to slice into the peel so that you can peel it easier. And those chips looks awesome – I love the thicker tortilla chips.

On a side note, you inspired me to sign up to become group exercise instructor certified! I just signed up and paid! I’m so nervous. And maybe become PT certified down the road. Thanks, Monica!

You need one of those old-school yellow Tupperware citrus peelers! I covet mine–it’s probably from circa 1970 (passed along to me from my mom). You can’t even buy them without buying other Tupperware products. They know how good they are!

I just wanted to add to what you said about becoming a trainer in case that person who asked the question is trolling the comments section: It’s hard to make a living personal training. I know some people just pick up clients, no problem, and are successful from the beginning, but it’s tough. If it’s really your calling and you feel really good about it, of course you should go for it, but you might want to consider keeping a job at first and working nights and mornings, or see if you can hook up something part time with your job.

I’ve been training for about six months now and work 15-20 hours a week at a relatively well-paying desk job, do some life coaching (self employed) AND train. Training is only about 3-8 hours a week at this point, even though I’ve been at the gym a awhile. Only a couple of people at my gym are full time, as Monica said is the case at her gym.

In my neck of the woods the gyms pay 12-20 per hour for training, but I live in the sticks :)

Good luck!

4. Jason says

If you score an orange with a little plastic knife like you would tile for cutting (regular metal goes too deep easily) it easily peels. I usually start where the stem is and just score it in quarters. Then peel from the top down and the little quarters peel off pretty easily. I ate a ton of oranges losing 130 pounds. I hated peeling them til I started doing this.

• Lauren says

good trick!

i also roll my oranges around on the table for a few seconds, pressing firmly. it loosens the peel making it easier to get all the pith (bleh!) in one pull!

i always try to peel it in one piece, too, just to see if i can.

I rarely eat oranges soley because I hate peeling them. Ugh. The juice gets everywhere and your fingernails are not the same the rest of the day. :) Congrats on the nomination!!! yay!!!!

Thanks for the info! I would love to become a personal trainer, but I need something that can support me full-time. Also, I would think that the money you make depends largely upon your gym’s location. People who do training in a large city will probably be paid more and have more regular (and wealthy) clients, as opposed to someone who works in a fitness center that is more out towards the country.

I am with you…peeling oranges sucks! I actually make my poor husband do this and he is super allergic to oranges. Wow that makes me sound awful!
    Congrats on the Fitness mag nomination!!! So excited for you!

I would happily peel oranges for others, for a cost of course ;)

I am curious the different ways you are able to make money via blog. Don’t get me wrong, I love it, but I would love to figure out a way to supplement my income. Please feel free to email me re this

Peeling oranges isn’t fun. But they can also be messy to eat. I can’t do much else while I’m eating the orange. :-/ I like to multitask.

I have a question for you …
    On a few separate occasions, I’ve gotten lightheaded, dizzy and nauseous at the end of or after a hard workout. I try to be diligent about eating before I head to the gym, but apparently I’m not eating the right things or maybe I’m not eating at the right time. What do you suggest for pre-workout snacks? How close to the workout should I eat them?

If I workout in the afternoon I have a snack about an hour before. It’s usually some combo of carb and protein like cheese and crackers or yogurt and cereal (I can do dairy before working out, not everyone can). I used to have a Clif bar before exercise and that worked well too! Make sure you’re not over- or under-hydrated.

Hmm. Maybe it’s the dairy. Both times I’ve been the most sick was when I had yogurt as a snack. I’ll have to keep trying different things.

Also, I didn’t know it was possible to be overhydrated. I’d had about 80 oz. of water before my workout yesterday. Very interesting.

Thanks!

I had to LOL at the end when you start to tell a story that begins with “I’m going somewhere with this.” Oh if I had a dollar for every time I have said that… :)

11. Jesi says

Since you love oranges you should get a citrus peeler.
    They sell them through pampered chef for $1.00 but I bet you could get one at one of those cooking stores or outlets.
    I love mine and have been using it for over 10 years. It seriously changed my life and love for citrus.
    Good Luck in the blog awards!