Another Dinner at Lucille’s

Yesterday Ben and I met my fam at Lucille’s for my brother’s birthday dinner.

This is a different location from the one we went to Friday, but the same big ol’ porch southern restaurant. IMG 5831 800x600 thumb Another Dinner at Lucille’s

I desperately want to visit New Orleans and Savannah and going here only makes me want it more. Love it. love the south thumb Another Dinner at Lucille’sVia pinterest from my fave southern Brit

Anyways… here was dinnerIMG 5807 800x600 thumb Another Dinner at Lucille’s

IMG 5808 600x800 thumb Another Dinner at Lucille’s

Forgot to get a birthday card?

A Thank You card works…IMG 5810 600x800 thumb Another Dinner at Lucille’s

IMG 5812 800x600 thumb Another Dinner at Lucille’s

I’m sure it’s better than the Happy Birthday Princess card I got him last year wlEmoticon winkingsmile3 Another Dinner at Lucille’s

First course…IMG 5816 800x600 thumb Another Dinner at Lucille’s

IMG 5822 800x600 thumb Another Dinner at Lucille’s

IMG 5823 800x600 thumb Another Dinner at Lucille’s

IMG 5824 800x600 thumb Another Dinner at Lucille’s

IMG 5830 800x600 thumb Another Dinner at Lucille’s

IMG 5827 800x600 thumb Another Dinner at Lucille’s

Would you believe I opted out of a cupcake for the third great love of my life…IMG 5826 800x600 thumb Another Dinner at Lucille’s

Mid-week celebrations are extra fun! IMG 5817 800x600 thumb Another Dinner at Lucille’s

PSA – Today is 7/11

You can get a free slurpee from 11am to 7pm today at 7/11. Oh thank Heaven. Go go go!7 11 free day thumb Another Dinner at Lucille’s

Question: Thoughts on the south? Live in the south? Can I come visit you?

Comments

Living in the south! Since I live in Houston, I always thinks its funny when people refer to the south and don’t even mention Texas. I get it, history lessons and all, but its funny!! Love the quotes and very true!! Mi casa es su casa, specially if you can babysit!! LOL!!!

2. Elizabeth says

Come visit Northwest Arkansas! It’s a beautiful slice of the South with lots of outdoorsy stuff to do, delicious food, and tons of charm! :-)

3. Kate says

I live in a tiny town in Mississippi (as in, we have one intersection with a blinking red light and a Piggly Wiggly, thank you very much), only about 2 hours from New Orleans…come visit any time! There really is something magical about living in the south!

Hi! I’ve been lurking in the shadows of your site since I took up running back in Februray. I bookmarked about 6 running blogs back then, but yours is the only one I’m still reading :) I always get a kick out of your posts! I’m writing to you from the Heart of Dixie, Alabama :) We’d LOVE for you to come visit! We have some really beautiful places in this state to run – white sandy beaches, all the way up to our “moutainous” north. BUT, the 100 degree temps aren’t very conducive right now!

You know what they say about Southern Hospitality! Looks like you’ve gotten an invitation from just about every state along the gulf! Sounds like a great trip to take to me!! Oh, and it’s peak WATERMELON season here right now!!

Take care!

I’m in Charleston, SC which is about about as amaze as you would dream. I am a Midwestern reject and I love it here. Savannah is good, about an hour and a half south of here. To me though it is like the B version Charleston (sorry Savannah).

I’m in Charleston too! Born and raised. Love it here. I like Savannah but Charleston is prettier. After reading Midnight in the Garden of God and Evil I fell in love with Savannah, and was a bit disappointed.

Come on down Monica!

6. Angie says

My husband is from LA and whenever we visit I feel that all we do is gorge on the food! Love going to New Orleans and Batin Rouge. Just a tip, pack stretch pants for the flight home! Since loving in SoCal my husband refuses to eat the seafood out here, it’s definitely not the same.

7. MrsCrystal says

I’m an Alabama Belle, born and raised, but now I live in Dallas with the hubby! I love going home to visit my parents. My town is extra small (like barely a 4,000 population), but it’s home! My dad has been farming since he was a little boy, so fresh vegetables and fruits were and are always in my parents house/freezer. Just last week, hubby had them do a surprise visit for my bday, and they brought us fresh fish from my daddy’s lakes, freshly picked black eye peas and okra, quart bags of fresh peaches (that my mom cut up and slightly sweetened), and pecans. All planted and picked and saved for me (and the hubby!).

Sweet tea is a staple in my parents house. Whenever we would travel to a different state, we would be confused that northern and west coast restaurants didn’t serve sweet tea. Whatttt???!!

But I’m loving California’s restaurants. They are healthy and motivating.

I’m in Canada, so clearly veryyy far North. I’ve loved every trip I’ve taken to the South though! When I was about ten and my family took a trip to South Carolina, I’m pretty sure I ended every sentence with “y’all” for about a month after we got home.

9. Tabatha Rhodes says

I’m from Alabama originally but have been living in New Mexico for the last 11 years. We took a road trip last month to Florida and it was so nice to be back in the South! We even got to visit New Orleans for the first time. So neat! I’m still struggling with the sweet tea addiction I picked back up while visiting down there! :)

10. Harper says

I lived in Arkansas for 7 years and absolultly loved it. I’ve taken the cooking and the phrase “oh bless your heart” with me to all my new locations.

I recently moved to Augusta, Georgia from Pittsburgh, PA. I love it here! Lots of houses with pillars and porches with rocking chairs. Everyone is laid back and friendly and wants to invite me to their church, haha. I discovered I love fried green tomatoes and turnip greens! I’m running the Savannah half, it’s such a pretty city!

12. Colleen says

I was born/raised in Birmingham and now live at the beach! There is no where else I would rather live than the deep south!! It’s the best!!

I live in Pensacola on the beach and love it – most of the time! The heat and humidity can be brutal. I’ll be going to New Orleans in a few weeks for a work retreat for the bf and I’ll drink a Hurricane for ya ;)

14. steph says

Hey Monica,
    I’m in Atlanta Ga! Come and visit me and run the publix marathon or Atlanta marathon with me!

15. Amanda says

Look at all these Alabamians commenting!!! I too am from the Heart of Dixie-born, raised and still living here! There is no where else I would rather be!
    Thoughts on the South- hum, hot this time of year for sure but when everyone up north is freezing their butts off in November that is perfect beach weather on the gulf :)
    And it is a dream running here in the winter. I started running for the first time in January (trained for the Nashville 1/2) and most days were 50 degree runs! I miss those runs right now- 90 degree runs…not as much fun :)
    Love your blog-keep it up!

I live in Austin, Texas. I say “y’all”. I go two-steppin’ on weekends. I have several pairs of boots. Texas is in the South, but really it is pretty much it’s own country. Hahah! :)

Texas has two seasons – Summer and Spring and I love it down here.

17. Casey says

I live in Savannah! I’m originally from Jersey, but I LOVE it down here. I’m training for a half because I feel like it helps me justify all the BBQ I eat. :)

18. Leah says

I’m from California so I’m unbiased, and I have to say, Charleston is my absolute favorite southern city! I’ve been to NOLA, Savannah, most of the big ones, but Charleston is definitely my favorite. I bet you would love it there. I want to check out Austin, TX next.

Gah! I’m moving from Boston to Knoxville in a week. I will probably pick up the southern accent by September. My husband is a southern boy, and he seems okay. His grandmother did call me a Yankee the first time that she met me.

I’m a southern girl, as if you couldn’t tell from the double name :-)
    Yes, you need to visit the South! You’ll understand first hand why it seems the majority of us struggle with weight, there is delicious unhealthy food everywhere! I’m in TN, and if you go to Charleston I want to join the trip. That’s somewhere I’ve always wanted to visit.
    The South is great, except the massive heat wave as of late. I’m up at 5am every morning to run, not fun for this night owl, but I just can’t stand the heat!
    After you visit us, do we all get to come hang out with you in CA? ;-)

I’m from New England but have lived in Western NC since 2004, and the hubs and I are about to move to the coast of NC next month! Sometimes I miss New England, but I do love that mac & cheese is a vegetable here:)

Also – Savannah is so gorgeous!! I love it there so much, you must visit.

Those ribs look FANTASTIC. I’m such a sucker for barbeque!! I agree with some of the other comments, if you want to go to the south go to Charleston SC – gorgeous, great food, awesome city!

23. Katrina says

I live in Beaufort, SC and love it! It’s in the middle of Savannah and Charleston. My husband is in the Marine Corps so we have lived in many diffrent places and I have to say this place is my favorite so far!

I actually just moved to South Carolina two months ago. Still adjusting a bit but enjoying myself so far! I spent dinner tonight surrounded by southern folk and I already feel myself wanting to state things differently and also explore much, much more. Y’all has already been added to my vocabulary!

25. Tanya says

Charleston here, too. I agree with Abby and Taylor. Charleston is way prettier than Savannah, and our food is better. Come on down! We’ll take you on a day trip to Savannah so you can decide for yourself.

I’m a midwestern transplant to SC and….no offense to all you southerners, but I’d go back to Indiana if I could. I’ll take Chicago over Charleston anyday. It’s nice and all, but a person can only take so many “ya’ll might could”s!

• Meagan says

I agree. I’m a Minnesota girl, but moved to Georgia for a short stint after college. As nice as the weather was, it was a bit too laid back for me. The people were terrific and I fell in love with having a pool year-round, but there’s just something special about the Land of Ten Thousand Lakes (aka, Minnesota) where everyone is “Minnesota Nice.” I moved back and haven’t thought about going South since….my husband would agree. :)

27. Cristina says

I live in Atlanta. I have my moments with the south. Sometimes I love it and sometimes I hate it. Im a New Yorker who spent 10 years in D.C then a couple in the south west and now 5 in the south. For now its ok but I want to go back to a place like D.C or NY. Im thinking Chicago will be my next stop :) what do you love about the south?

28. Tara says

I live in Mississippi and I LOVE it! There is something magical about the deep south. I love every bit of our culture! I am not far from NOLA and my family lives there, so we go a lot and it’s one of my favorite places! Here is a tip, WHEN you go to NOLA remember to never call it New Orleeeeens. We tend to say N’awlins… but will happily accept New Orlins from “outsiders”. Would love for you to come to the south! We will feed you plenty, talk your ear off, and call you baby, honey, darlin. Be prepared to feel like the most important person in the world! We love to love on people!

I live in Charlottesville, VA, which is a very manageable amount of south (since I am not from the south.) Come visit anytime! Lots of awesome vineyards and breweries. And food, duh.