The 11th Commandment

image thumb2 The 11th Commandment

Great news!

I have a dramatic increase in my friend tally. It’s up to 2.

First, I had a coffee date with Christine from Bookishly Boisterous <- that’s a link to her thoughts on Shades of Gray. You don’t want to know mine.

She and I have “known” each other via the blog world for years and it was great to finally meet. IMG 6493 thumb The 11th Commandment

After work I met up with SkinnyRunner for my daily walk. Yes, I realize that sounds like I’m a dog. SR didn’t mind walking me, but she kept calling me Marni for some reason?image thumb3 The 11th Commandment

image thumb4 The 11th Commandment

Did you guys know about the 11th commandment?

Thou Shall Not Covet Thy Neighbor’s Salmon

(I’m think it’s in the book of Jesus Chapter 2 verse 6)

I have to confess that I am guilty of this. Big time.

I LOVE salmon, but I never cook it.

I am  unsure of how to season it. Do I bake? Fry it? Am I supposed to roll it up, roll it up and put it in a pan? When do I mark it with a “B” for baby and me?

Too far?

Anyway, when I see bloggers eating salmon I am reminded that people can actually make it at home. Normally it’s just something I order out. IMG 6526 800x533 thumb The 11th Commandment

Well, today’s manager’s special was a winner – pre-seasoned fresh salmon. Yes, please!IMG 6523 800x533 thumb The 11th Commandment

I grabbed some seasoned potato wedges from the prepared deli to round out the meal. My mom used to buy these when I was a kid, so they’re delicious and special wlEmoticon smile The 11th Commandment IMG 6527 800x533 thumb The 11th Commandment

that cabbage will do The 11th Commandment

I hit up the store after the 3 mile walk with SR so I was hot and hungry.

Then, this happened – Carmel Hazelnut Fudge Truffle ice cream. IMG 6532 533x800 thumb The 11th Commandment

See you tomorrow!

pin it button The 11th Commandment

Comments

I used to feel that way about salmon too! But I discovered a super easy way to do it! Just lay it on some aluminum foil, season it with salt and pepper, then squeeze some lemon juice over it and lay some lemon wedges on top. Now close the aluminum foil around the salmon so you have a nice seal. Place the foil on to a baking sheet and Bake it in a 400 degree oven for about 25 minutes. Voila! That’s it, it’s so easy! And it comes out moist and flaky and super yummy! I hope this helps :-)

Love Irvine Spectrum.
    I ALSO love those seasoned fries. Although they bring back bad emotional-eating memories from high school. I used to get an entire bag of them and sit in my car and eat them. I have avoided them since then, but I love the way you eat what you want but don’t get craze. That’s the best way to live and enjoy life.

I, too, am a salmon girl!! Never fear, my dear Monica!! I overcame my fear by brushing it lightly with evoo, a generous sprinkling of coarse-ground kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper, 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes and voila – you have tasty (not-so) gourmet salmon that you can do just about anything with! YOU CAN DO IT!!

4. Genny says

Preheat your oven to 350. Line a pan with foil, grease it, put your salmon in the middle of the pan (a pan with sides like a casserole pan or cake pan). Cut a lemon into slices and an onion into slices and 6 tsp of butter into cubes (use less butter if you want to). Sprinkle the salmon with salt, lemon pepper, and then place the butter, lemon slices and onion all over the top of the salmon. Take the foil and seal it up into a nice little foil packet and bake for 20 min. Then open up the foil packet and broil on high for 8-10 min. I PROMISE this is the best salmon ever!

5. Laura says

Salmon is super easy! You can even make a great “salsa” with chopped tomatoes, basil and garlic heated up in a pan to put on top-yum! Just make sure when you buy salmon you are buying wild salmon (SR would agree!). They add “pink” color to farmed salmon and feed the fish a bunch of antibiotics and junk, not to mention negative environmental impacts.

That ice cream looks incredible!

Don’t be afraid of the salmon! I usually bake it – but what I season it with changes depending on my mood. Sometimes it’s salt and pepper and that’s it, sometimes I smother it in honey and chopped pecans or almonds, other times herb butter or dill and butter. So many options!!

7. Angela says

So, it’s Friday morning and in my Facebook newsfeed I see that today is National Watermelon Day!!! And I immediately thought of you! Did you know?! haha I bet you did. ;) Celebrate with reckless abandon!!

8. Meg says

Hey Monica! A really easy way to cook salmon is to put a little bit of butter on it and then sprinkle it with some fresh dill and bake covered with aluminum foil for about 35 minutes?? (Not completely positive) Then just serve with brown rice- easy and delish! :)

9. Erin says

I found a delicious salmon rub to flavor a salmon fillet. It’s called “Rub With Love” salmon rub, and it’s at grocery stores and on Amazon. I spray a salmon fillet with a little olive oil then cover it with the salmon rub and place the fillet in a pan and bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes (until it flakes easily with a fork). It comes out all glazy and spicy-sweet. Yum! Pairs well with brown rice and steamed veggies.

10. Alex says

Chef Paul Prudhomme has a “magic salmon seasoning” that is delicious. I think they have it at Sprouts. My Ralph’s (Trabuco & Lake Forest) doesn’t have it. There’s always Amazon too! They have it for sure.