9 Miles not Lives

This morning I woke up for a 9 mile run. I had half a banana before I left since we have 22 ripe ones that need to be eaten or frozen before we leave tonight!IMG 7137 600x800 thumb 9 Miles not Lives

Then, I set off with my fuel belt and dying ipod.

I went a different from usual route because I didn’t want to deal with the big hill at mile 3 on my normal route. But, that meant running on busy streets. Usually I “save” this route for the weekends when there’s no traffic.

Long story short at mile 8 a lady was coming out of her street trying to make a right and I was coming up her right side. I thought she saw me since she made a full stop (normally we only do “California stops” around here). But nope. She started to go as I crossed in front of her car. I yelled “Hey hey!” and she stopped. But it scared the crap out of me and my tiny little black heart was pounding crazy hard.IMG 7140 800x600 thumb 9 Miles not Lives

image thumb36 9 Miles not Lives

Vegas isn’t trying to bite me here, he’s trying to force me to scratch his cheek.IMG 7138 800x600 thumb 9 Miles not Lives

Since I have 20 thousand bananas to eat I put one in my “Over Run Oats” <- those are like overnight oats, but you just let them set over a run wlEmoticon smile20 9 Miles not LivesIMG 7143 800x600 thumb 9 Miles not Lives

My Garmin died at Mile 7 right in the middle of my current favorite running song. Boo.bIMG 7146 800x600 thumb 9 Miles not Lives

Okay, I have to work and then I’m headed to FL tonight! See ya later wlEmoticon smile20 9 Miles not Lives

Question: What’s your state known for?

Mine is known for CA stops and Schwarzenegger and some other things…

Comments

Hmmm Florida is know for overpopulation and the blistering sun? And hurricanes? I’m sorry about your running scare. That once happened to me where a creepy rape Jeep wouldnt stop coming toward me and I thought I was going to die. The more reason to practice running safety!

2. Steph says

Pretty sure Texas is known for the general laziness and extra chub. And HOT weather. And TexMex. None of those are good things in my opinion!!

I’m glad you didn’t get hit by the crazy non-stopper :) I recently went on a short run and almost got hit by 2 cars who weren’t looking (You can read it here: http://www.runladylike.com/?p=508).

But onto the most important part: Bananas :) My very favorite thing to do with bananas lately is to make a recovery workout shake. I use 1 cup of Horizon Organic low fat chocolate milk, 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, and 1 frozen banana. I blend it (often use the magic bullet) until smooth. You could certainly add other things like protein powder if you want, but it is perfect as is. I find it great after a longer morning workout and often bring one in the car with me on the way to work.

Good luck with your banana dilemma!

4. Shannon in Tustin says

Matching iPods!! :D

I’ve been nearly hit MANY, many times! I’ve given countless dirty looks, stink-eyes, etc. I try to make eye contact with the driver or I just stand there and jog in place make the feel like an a$$ for not looking out for pedestrians/runners!

Also hate it when they pull INTO the crosswalk even though I’m trying to run across the street. Stink-eye fo sho!

Have a safe trip and I’ll take a few of your 22 million bananas!!

I live in California: state of drivers that rarely stop for runners…guess they’re in a big hurry to go nowhere (in traffic).

5. Lisa says

I’m gonna do where I’m from, not where I am:

Mountains, beer, sunshine, skiing, outdoorsy-ness, and snow (although it just really doesn’t snow all THAT much).

6. morgan says

haha over run oats- LOVE IT! Glad you’re ok- I’ve had way too many almost hits on my runs/ bike rides. Enjoy your trip!

7. Debbie says

I have a question – what type of fuel belt are you using and do you like it? I am training for my first marathon and looking to buy a fuel belt.
    Thanks. Have a good trip.

My homestate (now I’m a Cali girl) is known as the state of 10,000 lakes. This, however, is a lie. Its actually the state of 13,000+ lakes, 5 millionx13,000+lakes of mosquitos and everything-you-could-imagine fried and put on a stick. Best.State.Ever. Minnesota.

FL…totally known for hurricanes, scam artists and anything bogus originates from here it seems…
    and hmmmm California Stops..I did one of those 2 days ago but missed the cop 2 cars away and yes he did in fact pull me over and i played stupid…did NOT get ticket..whew! cuz just days before I was in court for speeding! maybe I should move to Cali?!

I’m not sure what Illinois is known for, but good ol’ Chicago is known for deep dish pizza and ya know, some other, less important stuff.

Oregon (home state): Rain, the Ducks & Beavers, Hippie/Hipsters, local organic produce
    Michigan (last two years): Eminem, unemployment, Detroit, auto industry, The Mitten
    South Carolina (new state): Not entirely sure besides hot and humid!

12. Ame' says

The Land Mass Between NOLA and Mobile (aka Mississippi) is known for fried anything (we invented frying ya’ll . . . okay not really, but we perfected it), lots of famous people who no one knows really came from Mississippi (Oprah, Brett Farve, the Manning Brothers, Morgan Freeman, William Faulkner, etc.), and being at the bottom of all the good lists. We’re the poorest state in the nation, but we give more money to charity than in other state so I guess that make us nice too.

Mississippi Proud!!!!

• Katie says

I’m from Arkansas and all I can say is thank goodness for Mississippi! You make us look better on all those good ole lists! :)
      Here in Arkansas we’re known for diamonds, wal-mart, and running around without any shoes!

I was almost hit during a run once by a car who was rolling through a stop sign. He slammed on his breaks and then had the nerve to yell at me for not waiting to cross! Since I was a little, um, hyped up on endorphins, I may or may not have kicked his car and yelled back at him.

My state is known for overly privileged people who commute into NYC. And possibly Gilmore Girls.

Glad you’re Ok! I’ve almost been backed into by cars, while out running, and almost been hit by a van speeding through a red light, so I know how you feel.
    As for the bananas, peel them and then freeze them ( in a ziplock bag) – then use them in smoothies when u return! Have a great vacation!

15. Tabatha Rhodes says

hmmm New Mexico is called the land of enchantment….so I guess we are known for enchantment? lol. Other than that green chile?

16. Becky Przy says

you better be careful–first you get hit by a duck and then almost hit by a car!

Hmmm I must live in the wrong state–I always do California stops!

17. Leah says

It used to be known for big beautiful mountains, snow, and bears. Now it’s known for Sarah Palin. :( This too shall pass.

Absurd reality shows… Sometimes I am embarassed to tell people I’m from New Jersey when traveling. I should just lie and say somewhere way cooler with less sterotypes.

19. Tiffany S says

Minnesota is known for 10,000 plus lakes. So, that means lots of trails to run on. Whoohoo! Also, there is a saying ‘Minnesota Nice’.

I tried including a banana in my oatmeal once and it was just too filling and I couldn’t finish my oatmeal. #smallstomachcapacityissue

We’re famous for our 10,000 lakes; the number is actually over 15,000 but they wanted a nice round number for the license plates – true story.

Oh, and I guess our winters are (in)famous.