Fake It Till You Make It

I had a lunch date today! Ben has jury duty this week and got picked for a case (I told him to say he was biased, but he’s all honest and ish).

He had a 1.5 hour lunch and came home to eat with me. It was nice wlEmoticon smile22 Fake It Till You Make Itimage thumb32 Fake It Till You Make It

fake it till you make it thumb Fake It Till You Make It

I’m very superstitious and insecure, so I normally hesitant to tell you about things that I’m nervous about because it gives me anxiety. But, I’m sharing this because I already feel happy with myself because I faced a fear today.

Before lunch today I had an audition to teach a boot camp class at a local gym. I almost didn’t go because it’s been a while since I’ve taught boot camp, it makes me very nervous and I have so many other things going on right now I just didn’t want to deal with another source of stress. But, when it came down to it the #1 reason I didn’t want to go is because I was scared.

I asked my friend Chandra for advice and she reminded me to “Fake It Till You Make It”. I’ve gotten this advice many times before (I used to do local cable news after college and basically spent a year faking it and freaking out every time I went).

So, I did it. I don’t know if I got the job yet, but I’m happy that I went. One of my 2012 New Year’s Resolutions was to Be Fearless! IMG 8605 800x600 thumb Fake It Till You Make It

There are just about 67 days left in 2012 and between this and the New York Marathon coming up (eek!) – I think I’m going to call this resolution crossed off the list.

Question: What is one thing you’re scared of right now?

Have you recently conquered a fear? Share it with the group!!

Comments

I’m afraid of being a bad blogger! Weird right. Afraid that my content isn’t any good.. But I know i shouldn’t care.. I enjoy it and that’s all that matters.

When I ran my first half I conquered a fear. Fear of being at the end.. But my next goal is to trash my first time and do way better the next one.

Right now, I’m scared I will never find a job. Since moving to Southern California, I am having such a hard time finding something I’m not under it over qualified for. Fingers crossed something comes up soon!

My first full is Sunday. I have a hip injury, and there’s a hurricane heading our way just in time for the gun. I’m almost paralyzed by fear of getting picked up by the slow bus!

4. Robin says

I’m afraid of having our place on the market while 36 weeks pregnant with an 18 month active toddler, yet I’m also afraid we won’t get any offers…riddle me that?

Congrats on facing your fear!

YAY! GOOD JOB! Can’t wait to hear how it went!

I’m scared I’ll make an ass of myself this weekend and the boy I’m going out with won’t like me. Because I’m good at that and I worry too much. ;)

Congrats Monica!!! I just used this very saying tonight to get out of the house for my very first pub run at our local Fleet Feet store!!! It’s amazing
    how running 3 miles with strangers is a greater challenge for me then completing a long run.. It was completely worth all the mental pep talk:)

7. Keyona Wever says

I just started running about 8 months ago and I’ve been doing a lot of races. The furthest one I did was a 10k and I really want to do a 1/2 marathon next year but I’m scared to death. I’m not sure what of but I am. But I’m totally going to do it! With some help of amazing friends I’m going to sign up for one!

P.S. just found you blog and love it! And I’m totally doing POTM!!!

I always try to do the things that scare me most! If something is scaring my shitless, that usually means it’s daring and bold. Good for you for doing it!

9. Erin says

This is perfect and timely!! I have an interview in 2 hours that I’m super nervous about…Fake it till you make it!! I will do it, Thanks!! And hope you get the job, too:)

Oh I love this. Thank you for sharing! I really try hard not to base life decisions on fear. Whenever I am scared to try something new or take the next step, I know that it usually means that I should do it. I hate being complacent!

Right now, I’m afraid of failing organic chemistry and what I’m going to be doing with my life post-graduation.

I don’t think I will ever conquer this fear, but I used to be absolutely TERRIFIED of public speaking/giving presentations. Like, I would be so nervous that I would feel sick. I gave a presentation last week to my class, and although my voice was shaky at times and I was a little nervous, I’ve come a long way in my comfort level with public speaking.

12. Nicole says

Congratulations! I’m sure your class will be amazing!! (I’ve already decided that you will have the job!)

My biggest fear right now is leaving my current job (even though I need to) and taking a job with less money in order to do something that gives me personal satisfaction.