Packing for the New York Marathon

Hello, when we last spoke I was telling you about how I dramatically fell on this morning’s easy 4 miler. Does anyone else find it ironic that I can walk 3 miles reading Google Reader on my phone but can’t run 4 miles without crashing?!

I iced my knee 2 times today and took Ibuprofen this morning. It’s just a little stiff for now, hopefully it won’t get worse overnight.IMG 8788 800x600 thumb Packing for the New York Marathon

Dinner: I was randomly craving spaghetti squash for dinner so I made a big ol’ pile of it. Hit the spot.IMG 8767 800x533 thumb Packing for the New York Marathon

I cooked up ground turkey with onions, mushrooms and spices. But, I went a little crazy with the red pepper flakes so I added a cup of greek yogurt to tone down the heat.IMG 8790 800x600 thumb Packing for the New York Marathon

Ben’s was served with ww noodles and I stole a bite of them. It was good, but I was all about the spaghetti squash tonight!IMG 8765 800x533 thumb Packing for the New York Marathon

After dinner I started packing for the New York Marathon. Vegas thinks I’m playing a game when I bring out my suitcase.

Yes, the game is called “get fur on all the stuff I just washed.” He wins. I lose.IMG 8771 800x533 thumb Packing for the New York Marathon

My “Type C” personality isn’t super anal about details, overachieving, being competitive or giving an F in general. But, I have a lot of anxiety that causes me to either A.) drink or B.) get the poops.

To attempt and avoid both of those things I made a long packing list for this weekend’s events. Here it is…

New York Marathon Packing List:

• Flight info
  • Race info
  • Itinerary

Race Wear:

• Visor
  • Sports bra
  • Shirt
  • Capris
  • Compression Socks
  • Shoes
  • Sunglasses
  • ipod
  • Garmin/charger
  • Fuel belt, baggie, paper towel
  • Plastic bags

• Camera
  • Laptop
  • Phone/Charger
  • ID
  • Neck Pillow
  • Pills, Medication
  • Cowbells and whistle <- totally part of every trip I take wlEmoticon winkingsmile3 Packing for the New York MarathonIMG 8776 800x533 thumb Packing for the New York Marathon

Did I forget anything?!

P.S. – As of right now the NY Marathon is on and I’m getting prepped to go. If I get any updates otherwise I will share them asap. ING is the main sponsor of the race but the NYRR is organizing the event. Earlier today many articles said the race will happen Sunday, so that’s what I’m going with for now.

Comments

1. Zoe says

I heard they may be canceling the marathon. Could be a rumor (I hope!!) but much of the route was destroyed by Sandy :(

2. meredith says

I live on long Island and the marathon is on…all I did hear was that if anything they would need to tweak the course a little bit. Hope you knee is feeling better!

3. Robin says

Glasses and extra contact lenses if you wear them!
    I can’t wait to watch the marathon (from the west coast) and see the NY spirit.

4. Bon says

Good luck! To the commenter above…most of the route was NOT destroyed by Sandy.The majority of the route is fine. the question is whether the city can handle such a large event in the midst of recovering from Sandy and if logistics will be in place.

I am here in NYC and they are saying the race will go on. It will be interesting to see how it goes on if the subways around the city and the ferries to Staten Island are still down. I am still preparing for the race myself here, but I am curious to see what changes will be made.

I wanted to tell you! I ran MCM, and used your other packing list from the Black Cat race to help me pack. Loved the dryer sheets in the shoes tip — and then I forgot to take the one out! Ran the entire thing with a dryer sheet in my shoe. Oops!

Where do you fly into? We are scheduled to fly into La Guardia on Friday, but don’t know if the airport will reopen by then, so it’s looking like I might not be able to get there for the marathon. Huge bummer!

I hope the race is able to go off as scheduled. Sounds like you are super prepared!!! I hope your knee is back to 100% by race day! Good luck – can’t wait to read all about your experiences with the race and NY!

My cats LOVE that game.. I also didn’t see underwear on the list! I always seem to forget something! I hope that you can still make it to the race!

10. Melissa says

buy some big garbage bags to bring too – they are good for sitting down on or wrapping yourself up to keep warm in marathon village. I’ll be racing too good luck!