Now What? Santa to the Sea Half Marathon

Hello! Did you guys stay up late watching the election coverage? This was one of the few times that the time difference was on my side and it wasn’t too late in CA when they called it.

This morning I woke up early and did a quick 3 miler and some stretching. Not sure what’s in store for this weekend (more on that below) so I didn’t want to get too crazy with running.

Breakfast! I wanted jam on that toast, but held out. And that naner was served up with AB.IMG 8911 533x800 thumb Now What? Santa to the Sea Half Marathon

Since the ING New York City Marathon was cancelled in the 11th hour, I am a little lost when people ask me, “So what are you going to do now? Find another race?”

I seriously got a few text messages that said, “What are you going to do?!”

Um, I don’t know.

Marathons are big scary beasts to me. So, even though many other bloggers jumped right into signing up for another race I wasn’t so quick to do that.

Off the top of my head I know that:

Ali On The Run ran Manchester instead of NY on Sunday

And Ashley from Healthy Happier Bear will be running Philly in 2 weeks!

Please Note: Ash knows of a couple that lost everything in Hurricane Sandy and set up a Target wedding registry to replace their things. Check out Jen & Pedro’s Rebuilding Registry here.

A lot of upcoming races offered would be NYC runners steeply discounted bibs. I don’t know if I’ll do a full to fill the void or what exactly yet, but I’m looking at all my options. All I know is, I have to decide asap since I’m ready now and won’t be in another few weeks unless I keep training.

While all of that is up in the air – this isn’t…

I am a big fan of half marathons and know I’ll be running Santa To The Sea Half Marathon in Oxnard Dec 9th. Oxnard is a bit north of Los Angeles and I’ll be doing this in please of the closer Holiday Half I did last year.

image thumb5 Now What? Santa to the Sea Half Marathon

The kind race organizers at Santa to the Sea offered me a free bib and ONE FREE BIB for an RER Reader! The race is a Half Marathon Dec 9th outside of LA. Please only enter if you can make it.

To Enter: Leave a comment saying “I want to run the Santa to Sea Half!”

Open to all, but transportation/travel/Santa Costume not provided. Closes 11/9/2012 at 8am PST.

Pile on the Milers that Need Your Support!

Question 2: I got this question last night from Erin – please chime in below with your advice!image thumb6 Now What? Santa to the Sea Half Marathon

pin it button Now What? Santa to the Sea Half Marathon

Comments

1. Angie says

I ran it last year and its a good race. There are a few boring parts but considering its such a small race there is a good crowd turnout and running near the harbor in the end is nice. Have fun! Wish I could run it this year but I haven’t been given all the clear to run since having a baby.

To Erin – If the toddler is old enough to ride a trike they could go along with you, although I’m sure that would alter your pace. Another option would be to find a local track that your kiddo could play in the center while you run around….The best option might be to get a jogging stroller though.

3. carolyn says

My husband and I were a couple of the crazy people who startled you on the street in NYC last friday morning – If it’s not too late, come to Texas and run RnR San Antonio (half or full) on the 11th (Veteran’s Day). We would love to see you there…

Hello! Thanks for stopping me on the street I actually had no idea what you guys were talking about at first since I was on a red eye all night and just got into town. I hadn’t checked the blog and didn’t realize the heat was starting :( So, if I seemed a little confused, I was. I considered RnR San Antonio, but the flight is over 600 since it’s so last minute :( Are you running it too?!

• carolyn says

Yeah I got that impression after we had talked to you. I was just so excited to see you! Yes both the husband and I are running the half. We are also registered for the Dallas Marathon on Dec 9th – he for the full, and me for the half. Well happy running Monica, hope to see you out there again somewhere…

@ Erin; I have the same problem, but not with the hubby out of town…my only options when he can’t help is to do nap-time or EARLY in the am…my little guy doesn’t sit in a jumper or stay in one place anymore, so I feel ya! He also likes to get up at 5-6am, so if it’s important to me, 4am it is;-) Good luck!

I literally had people asking me what I was planning to do before I had even found out the race was canceled! Good grief! I decided to wait and do a marathon at home. I looked into all of the marathons coming up, but so many of them are on the east coast, and traveling that far again just doesn’t seem feasible. I’m sure you’ll set your sights on a new marathon soon enough, but it doesn’t need to be right this second–you already got a PR this year! :)

This comment is for Erin. I was in the same boat as you a few years ago. I invested in a nice running stroller and not only got the baby/toddler off my hip but also explored my new city on my runs. I also was lucky to have a treadmill to use during nap times or bedtime when my boys were asleep. Not always easy or ideal but I still got to run and to me thats what mattered :) good luck!

I second the stroller. Invest in a good one – I have a BOB Ironman – and make it a game. If he’s antsy at first, play music for him on your phone. I have a few kids’ CDs on the iPhone (or you can use Pandora Toddler if you have a generous data plan) and sing along. It seems silly to sing “Wheels on the Bus” with Elmo, I admit, but if it works, it works. Depending on the age of the toddler, bring snacks or make a game of the trip with “I Spy.” Runner’s World also mentioned the Meetup.com site. Maybe you can find a mom’s group or women’s running group who has suggestions. Don’t give up, though! 2 miles is better than none, even if it’s 8 p.m. on the ‘mill after bed.

ERIN: if you can get up before the baby and while your husband is still home that will work. If not the Bob jogging stroller is the best, hit the road just before nap time. They are expensive but check Craigslist and you will find TONS for cheap, I got one for $100 and love it. If trying to find a sitter perhaps get involved at a local church to meet new people in the area? Ask neighbors?

8. Alyssa says

Just PR’d last weekend at the Two Cities Half in Fresno! Definitely want to keep the momentum going and run another race soon. I WANT TO RUN THE SANTA TO SEA HALF!! Thanks :)

9. Angelica says

For your reader: Jogging strollers are great!! I got a new BOB after my daughter was born (almost $400, TOTALLY worth it), but there are cheaper brands (like Jeep), as well as used on Craigslist. Good luck!

A stroller jogger? My boys used to love going out with me. You get an upper body work-out while you’re running and run a little slower, but it works. And you just have to go out knowing that you’ll probably stop to look at stuff with your little one. Now though my husband is able to watch the boys for me in the evening or I can head out by myself in the morning before work.

11. Claudia says

I want to run the Santa to the Sea half (again!) :) I ran it last year and would love to run it again! I’d also definitely go in costume this time!

Erin,
    I’m a single mom so I do a combination of jogging stroller and I joined my local Y(where they do income based pricing). My daughter enjoys playing with other kids while I’m on the treadmill. Then about once a week a family member will watch her while I get to run outside by myself.

13. Anne says

@Erin- I was also going to suggest a jogging stroller and meetup to check for moms clubs. I’m an army wife and have the same problems. If y’all can afford to check out the y or local gyms that offer daycare- that’s been so helpful. Also check out Moms Run This Town. It’s a free running club for moms that has chapters all over the country. I joined my local chapter and everyone has been so nice and helpful!

14. Jennifer Shaw says

I was going to do that one, but I’m just not ready for my first half. I will be running my first 10k in Newbury Park on Dec 16. But, I need suggestions on where/what to buy for my costume!
    Erin, I also have 3 boys that I run with. I run while one is in school, I put the other on his bike and the baby goes in the stroller. Bring lots of toys/snacks/water to keep them happy. Good luck, I know it’s an extra challenge!!

I want to run the Santa to the Sea Half. I would also suggest a jogging stroller. Even a super cheap one is better than not running. Baby phantom or instep safari can both be purchased from Target for around $100 or check on craigslist for a better stroller at a steep discount. I also stop at parks or somewhere fun midway through to keep the toddler happy.

RE Erin: I have a 2.5 month old son and just run with him in the BOB Revolution with the infant adapter. He gets out, I get my run on AND we get to do it together. Win, win, win!

17. alex says

hey what ever happened to weight-loss wednesday? i was soooo looking forward to that bc i’m in the middle of losing weight too. bring it baaaack!

18. Katy W says

Look on craigslist for a good used jogging stroller! That or a treadmill! I do a ton of running during nap time!

Thanks for posting my question, your readers are awesome! And very helpful! I hadn’t thought to try to find a running group, so I think that will be my first step. If that doesn’t work out I guess I will have to get a jogging stroller. Thanks everyone!

Thanks for posting my question for your readers, they are a very helpful bunch! I hadn’t thought to find a running club or group in my area, so I think that will be a good thing to check into. If that doesn’t work out, it seems I will go with a jogging stroller, even though I have the coordination of a baby giraffe! Thanks again for all your help!

21. laura says

jogging stroller is a good place to start. I also bought a treadmill from a friend for $100. I trained for my first 1/2 entirely on the TM.

Good luck with the half! I’m running the Trenton Half Marathon this Saturday. …And I signed up for it yesterday. Ahhh!

I thought of your pumpkin loving self this morning because Rachael Ray made pumpkin macaroni and cheese on her show! Doesn’t that sound dreamy (and creamy :) ).

23. susan says

We bought a treadmill when my son was 15 months old. Best investment ever, ran almost exclusively on it for 2 years & then began to branch out running while the kids biked with me & getting extra outside runs on the weekends. Monica I would love, love, love to run the half but sadly would not be able to travel so far……some day.

24. Susan says

Wish I could enter but Indiana isn’t close. It can’t even see close…those mountain things are in the way to see that far. Hee Hee :)

Good luck to all who have entered. It sounds like so much fun.

We have a Santa Hustle here in mid-December that I plan on doing but it could be very cold.

And I agree…you & SR in a Santa 3-legged Sack Race. Instant classic for sure.

25. Gabby says

I want to run the Santa to Sea Half!

PS – just recently found your blog and I’m loving it!! I saw you during the Rock ‘n’ Roll Los Angeles Half… but you were passing me haha so I didn’t have the energy to run up and say hi :)

I know I’m too late to enter for an entry, but just wanted to say I’m about to sign up for this half! I ran the Santa Clarita half last weekend and had a disappointing race for me. Hoping I’ll redeem myself at Santa to the Sea :)