Roasted Cauliflower Buffalo Wings Recipe

Cauliflower Buffalo Wings thumb Roasted Cauliflower Buffalo Wings Recipe

I have been a little out of control in the snacking department lately.

Okay, always.

IMG 0845 800x600 thumb Roasted Cauliflower Buffalo Wings Recipe

But this week has been extra ‘bad’ = full of potato chips and chocolate chips on omelets – Busted!

I have always said snacking is my biggest challenge for healthy eating. I am Snacky McSnackerson. And that’s not horrible if 80% of my snacks were healthy – which, admittedly they’re NOT.

Recently Aveeno asked me to be part of their Beautiful Change Challenge. The first part was finding ways to make time to exercise.

logo 11 Roasted Cauliflower Buffalo Wings Recipe

The second Beautiful Change Challenge is to find ways to eat healthier food for a healthier body.

So, I’ve decided to give myself a Healthy Snack Challenge and plan my snacks for the next 30 days in an effort to stop grazing and get back on track with clean eating.

Today I’m swapping out classic buffalo wings for Cauliflower Wings – I saw these at the Natural Products Expo I got pretty excited.

A healthy snack that seems indulgent! Up.my.alley.

Cauliflower Buffalo Wings Recipe

IMG 1590 1024x683 thumb Roasted Cauliflower Buffalo Wings Recipe

This is super easy too – I just used a head of cauliflower, buffalo wing sauce, garlic, salt and pepper. IMG 1569 1024x683 thumb Roasted Cauliflower Buffalo Wings Recipe

Wash and cut the cauliflower in half. Then, break off the stalks so they look like ‘buffalo wings’. IMG 1570 1024x683 thumb Roasted Cauliflower Buffalo Wings Recipe

Place on an oiled baking sheet and season. Roast at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, tossing half way through. IMG 1579 1024x683 thumb Roasted Cauliflower Buffalo Wings Recipe

When they’re done toss in your favorite buffalo sauce.IMG 1582 1024x683 thumb Roasted Cauliflower Buffalo Wings Recipe

Warning: Your boyfriend / husband / internet lover will not think these replace “real” buffalo wings. Which they don’t – but they are a yummy alternative when you’re trying to be healthy!IMG 1587 1024x683 thumb Roasted Cauliflower Buffalo Wings Recipe

Dip. Eat. Repeat.

IMG 1596 1024x683 thumb Roasted Cauliflower Buffalo Wings Recipe

For the next 30 days I’ll be sharing my snacks on Instagram / Twitter  to keep me honest. More than anything my goal is to stick to 2 planned snacks and not graze on chocolate chips all day. Anyone want to join in on this challenge?

Question: How many snacks a day do you eat?

Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Aveeno via Glam Media. The
opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Aveeno.

Comments

1. Erin says

Okay, since I didn’t comment on the last post, my confession is that I gave up chocolate for lent, but for a few days straight, I was grazing on chocolate chips like it was going out of style. Part of this is fueled by going strict Paleo a month ago and jonesing for snackage HARD. This is right up my alley. I have been overdosing on cauliflower lately, but I like what you did here!

2. kimberly says

I’m a horrible snacker too, but I try to keep them healthy (nuts and dried fruit, real fruit, homemade granola) but even then I don’t know portion control, especially with the nuts. I’m gonna try my hardest to do this challenge with you, especially with my wedding coming up in May! That dress isn’t going to walk down the aisle itself!

These look great…they’ll trick the mind!
    I try and take two snacks to work with me…one for the morning and one for the afternoon…they do tend to be reasonably healthy…fresh fruit or nut boxes. BUT…if I forget my snacks, I end up raiding the sweet box at work in my breaks!

I biggest time to snack is while I am making dinner! I end up eating half of the vegetables as they are roasting/cooking. I am constantly picking at them, “just to taste and see if they are almost done”. Not a bad snack habit but kinda takes away from what is made for dinner!

Snacks are always my downfall. I find that if I eat carbs for snacks (anything sweet) I crave more and more and end up over eating. If I eat something like string cheese… I crave something sweet. It’s like a double edged sword. Unless I’m really busy all day… I snack and snack.

6. Christine Sailer says

I’m totally in on the healthy snack challenge! I do pretty good during the day it’s the time after dinner that gets me!

I think I eat 2-3 snacks a day. If you count my 5 a.m. pre-workout piece of toast as a “snack” ? Since I work in an office, I pack what I want to eat for the day and don’t have any cabinets full of snacks nearby to tempt me so it is pretty easy to not go snack crazy! I also eat a massive breakfast which I’ve found makes me less snack-y throughout the day.

Yum! I’ve been craving the taste of buffalo recently and my usual go-to during football season is buffalo chicken dip, but its terribly unhealthy. These actually look really good! During the week I’m not too bad about snacking because I’m so busy, its the weekends when I’m lounging around watching TV when its bad. I could eat a whole bag of pistachio’s in one sitting.

9. Deb says

WOW – that looks awesome, I.Must.Try.
    My problem is that I get hungry in like 3 seconds, and must.eat.now. I can’t wait to the 20 minutes until something is done. I know = blah, blah, blah. I graze all day long – usually somewhat healthy tho. I don’t Twitter or Instagram – can you blog snacks also? You’re the best!

10. Marie says

Monica, Monica, Monica! No self-respecting person would use anything other than Frank’s sauce in any Buffalo wing recipe. This does look good though. I douse my cooked broccoli in Franks, so same idea. But, you MUST use Frank Red Hot. That Target stuff is an abomination! ;)

Definitely need to try the buffalo cauliflower – thanks for sharing! As for snacking, I usually do okay during the day choosing healthy snacks unless someone brings goodies to share at work – then I’m in trouble! Also my late night snacking is worse. Earlier this week I baked brownies knowing full well that I would be eating one each night!

Snack on chocolate chips all day? How did you know? I do that all the time. Snacking is my huge problem with healthy eating too. The buffalo cauliflower is pretty intriguing though!

13. Rachel S. says

I figured out that I snack way more at home on the weekends than I do at work. I try to keep healthy snacks at work, but the bad ones keep winning out.

I’m a huge snacker, and unfortunately, my guiltiest pleasure is cheese and crackers, not the healthiest option! Definitely will try this recipe, I’ve seen it on Pinterest a bunch of times and keep meaning to give it a shot!

What a BRILLIANT idea, I’m making these next week (any excuse I have to use wing sauce is a great). If I’m craving wings for dinner, I just usually grill a chicken breast and douse it in sauce (I’ve noticed I don’t really like the wings, just the sauce). You can even fry it in a little coconut oil if you want a little healthy crisp.

16. Shannon in Tustin says

Always have a mid-morning snack since I eat my oatmeal with almond milk, flax and PB at 6am. I try not to snack again until after my late afternoon/early evening run cause then my tummy doesn’t feel so great. But when I’m done running, I’m ravenous and end up snacking while I get dinner on the table….FAIL!!!
    **but I typically eat less at dinner (to compensate) if I’ve been snacking while I prep. that leaves leftovers for lunch the next day. WIN!!

Happy Friday :D

17. Sarah says

Well, the food scientists just came out and said that they have devised the perfect chemical combination that tastes a-freaking-mazing but always leaves you wanting more… so that could be an important component of your snacking problem. Those dang chips will get you every time!

18. Sarah says

Add me to the bad snacker list. I don’t go for chips or candy, but I always eat up a ton of calories with things like PB/crackers, cheese, etc. I am definitely going to try out this recipe!! :)

I used to snack a TON, but nowadays, I prefer to eat 3 meals a day. I usually get hungry mid-afternoon in between classes, so I’ll grab a banana or something. Since I eat lunch around 11:30-12-ish, I tend to eat dinner pretty early.

I’m pretty good at NOT snacking or at least making healthy choices. However after lunch today I was roaming around the office to see if anyone had any chocolate. Thankfully no one did so I ate a granola bar & apple. I usually have 2 (some times 3) snacks a day.
    Breakfast
    Snack – usually a piece of citrus
    Lunch
    Snack – depends daily
    Dinner
    Snack – if it’s not too late

Oh my GAWD I am also a McSnackerson! Let’s start a club!
    I suck so bad *goes to grab a couple crackers*
    It’s insane. Sometimes it’s not bad stuff like I’ll grab a handful of grapes
    but other times i’ll grab a handful of dark chocolate goji berries
    oopsy.
    And this week has been BAD!
    I need to get back on track as well!
    I hope I can try some of your more healthier snacks
    I love spicy food
    So going to try this!!
    Good luck on the next 30 days!

So I already love cauliflower raw, so this alternative seems to die for! I will def be trying this recipe!

And I have also been snacking like crazy. Typically, I’ll have 2 or 3 snacks a day. Usually healthy snacks, but sometimes not.

Two – one mid morning and another one during tea time. I’m pretty ok with my snacks (generally). Snacks are usually crackers with PB or a granola bar.

BTW, I’m wondering if I could use broccoli instead of cauliflower for this?

“cut the cauliflower so it looks like buffalo wings” – I don’t think they look like wings at all and I have never seen a flying cauliflower :)

Joke aside, it looks delicious and a great alternative to the fried chicken wing version.

- John