Just the Tip Tuesday– Healthiest Chorizo

Sometimes RER masquerades as a healthy living blog. Shocking, I know.

monica the mexican olivas thumb Just the Tip Tuesday– Healthiest Chorizo

Well today I am about cancel out all my chia seed loving posts with some real Mexican food talk. Today’s “Just the Tip” is all about the healthiest chorizo to eat.

IMAG2613 800x450 thumb Just the Tip Tuesday– Healthiest Chorizo

Growing up my mom would sometimes make chorizo on the weekends. My brother and I loved it!

Then, I went through this hippie dippie vegetarian phase and I would buy Soy Chorizo. I swear it’s just as good!

chorizo is not healthy but delicious thumb Just the Tip Tuesday– Healthiest Chorizo

But now that I’m not vegetarian anymore I decided to re-evaluate my chorizo choices and see which one is the healthiest (relative to each other, this isn’t really a health food).

chorizo is good and bad at the same time. thumb Just the Tip Tuesday– Healthiest Chorizo

Beef Chorizo:

IMAG2621 800x450 thumb Just the Tip Tuesday– Healthiest Chorizo

Pork Chorizo:

IMAG2614 800x450 thumb Just the Tip Tuesday– Healthiest Chorizo

Soy Chorizo:

IMAG2618 800x450 thumb Just the Tip Tuesday– Healthiest Chorizo

Just The Tip: Pork Chorizo is the lowest in calories and fat!

But – the ingredients are kinda gross if it’s not something you grew up with. I’m okay with it but you might want to go by the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy if you can’t handle eating organs.

PicsArt 1367953910577 thumb Just the Tip Tuesday– Healthiest Chorizo

Question: What would be your chorizo choice?

Comments

1. Shannon in Tustin says

Chorizo owns my heart! I grew up on it; scrambled into eggs, sprinkled with cheese and lovingly wrapped in a warm flour tortilla. A love affair to remember…

I usually buy chicken chorizo from Sprouts (fresh meat section in the little styrofoam tray). cook that up and sprinkle/crumble it over the egg of choice (whites, beaters, etc.) My son and I love it! I don’t have all the health stats on it, but it doesn’t taste greasy and there’s not a lot of grease in the pan after I cook it.

Love giving these little ethnic tastes to my Gringo kids! :D

Happy Tuesday!

2. Roberta says

Hmmm…you might want to check out the serving size, it looks like the pork and beef are both 5 servings per 2.5 oz (1,300 per package for beef and 600 per package for pork) and the soy is only 4 servings (560 calories for the whole package). So overall, the entire package of tofu is fewer calories :)

I’ve had soy chorizo before and really liked it. It’s fantastic in a burrito or any other dish where you mix in meat with other veggies, etc. I did try some Trader Joe’s soy chorizo as a feature flavor in something I cooked once (I think I mixed it with kale or something) and it gave off a very vinegar-y taste, which I wasn’t a huge fan of. I’m sure some brands are better (tastier) than others.

Oh, you’re brave! I can’t do the organ meats, despite my boyfriend’s best efforts. And ironically I can handle sausage, whose parts aren’t all that. I’d definitely try the soy chorizo though!

We have an awesome Mexican/international grocery by us that makes its own. So yeah. Selection not so hard. I’d probably go with pork, though, given the options. It reminds me that I should make some chorizo burgers …

6. Tina says

We had chorizos for dinner last night. Mmmm, I love how many different ways you can cook with them. I even dice em up and throw them in an alfredo sauce every now and then just to spice things up a bit! ;)

7. Ida says

Love the soy stuff. I’m not a vegetarian, but any form of sausage or extruded meat weirds me out big time.

8. Sandra says

Hi Monica!
    Here, in Spain, pork chorizo. In fact, pork is one of the animals more eaten :( It is usual to cook meals like “fabada” or “bollos preñaos”. If you search these words in Google, you will see lots of recipes about it.
    Have a nice day!
    (Sorry for my poor English)

I’m a fan of the soy chorizo! I’m one of those people who looked at the ingredients and couldn’t handle it, haha!

I’ve never had a chorizo and am not really sure what it is. But I like Mexican food and am craving some guac right now!!

Don’t block me from you blog……I can’t/don’t eat MX food. My husband is a #1 fan and will actually go eat at a MX restaurant solo while I’m teaching the evening aerobic classes. It works. :-)

12. Sonia the mexigarian says

Growing up, we had chorizo like every week loooooooved it. Mmmm with huevos y papas all mixed together and scooping it up with a tortilla. Yum. And then I found out what’s in it and why it tore apart my stomach. :( when i am in a chorizo mood I have to buy soy, but its just not the same as the pork. Perhaps I can figure out a way to have a ‘healthy’ pork version sans organs ;)

13. Ashley c says

I forget you used to be vegetarian. I’d be interested in a post about any differences you’ve noticed one way or another. Would you ever consider it?

I just ate chorizo for the first time last week, thanks for the heads up.. I will NOT be looking at the ingredients

Lower fat and calories doesn’t always equate to healthier. The soy chorizo (soyrizo?) seems like the healthiest because it’s cholesterol free and has less saturated fat.

I’m fine with organs and stuff, though. The yummiest Mexican food I’ve recently eaten was a lengua torta. So yummy!

I saw soy chorizo at Trader Joe’s, but haven’t tried it yet. Maybe I’ll get some next time!

Beef. I actually discovered chorizo when I went off to college in a very Portuguese area (who knew Dunkin Donuts and Dominos had a special chorizo menu?!) and really liked it! I tried to make it myself but it didn’t work out so well :(

Oo I’ve had chorizo (probably beef? I have no idea), but I’m intrigued with the soy. I might have to try that and trick my boyfriend into eating it.

Pork would be my choice. What is the difference between Mexican and Portuguese chorizo? I think I have only had Portuguese style.

18. Tara says

I have only just discovered Chorizo when a friend shared a recipe. Its mashed pinto beans with diced tomatoes, onions, broth and chorizo all simmered together. Sooo Freakin’ goooood!

19. Amber says

I made the mistake of reading the ingredients in pork chorizo when I was cooking it once. DISGUSTING! I love it in a breakfast taco though!

20. Stephanie says

Vegetarian here, so I opt for the soyrizo for obvious reasons. I was just saying to a friend the other day that soyrizo is pretty much the best “faux meat” out there. It’s one of the few veg analogs that really tastes good, has good texture, and doesn’t remind me of whatever taste is lacking.

21. Amy says

I am Portuguese and just the other day found “turkey linguica” — and it actually was pretty good. I also got my fiance some Paleo Chorizo from Whole Foods (but if you ask me those nitrates make things taste deliciouso!)