Just the Tip of the Avocado

Happy Tuesday…

its gonna be a long week Just the Tip of the Avocado

Here’s a little tip for those of you who have an avocado tree that gave you 10 bushels (okay I don’t really know what a bushel is) of fruit that are getting ripe faster than you can eat ‘em…

Eat ‘em faster!

Just the Tip #2: Freeze your avocado.

Remove the avocado ‘meat’ from the skin. Put them in a bag and squeeze a little lemon juice on them. Freeze until you’re ready to eat!

avocados in a bag 800x450 thumb Just the Tip of the Avocado

Then, pull ‘em out of the freezer and let it thaw before making some delicious guacamole. Ole!

homemade guacamole by some mexican 800x450 thumb Just the Tip of the Avocado

Disclaimer: I am a Silk blog ambassador, but the following is not affiliated with Silk at all. All opinions in this post are my own and/or stuff I make up to seem cool.

RER PSA: At the Silk trip we discussed other brands of soy and almond milk. Someone mentioned the So Delicious Almond Milk because it has added protein. So, when I spotted it this weekend at Whole Foods I decided to try it (plus they didn’t have my favorite Vanilla Almond Milk for some reason?).

Anyway. It’s not good. For having added protein I find it weird that it’s even more water-y than usual almond milk. Save your dirty green paper.

almond milk with protein 450x800 thumb Just the Tip of the Avocado

Running Reminders:

running in the heat thumb Just the Tip of the Avocado

If you want to train for Rock N Roll Las Vegas virtually with me and raise money for Orange Laces you can still sign up until the end of this week!!!

Sign up to Run for Something Better here

The Shoreline Half Marathon in Ventura is this weekend. Use code: RER20 for 20% off

Question: Please share a tip – Big or small wlEmoticon winkingsmile1 Just the Tip of the Avocado with the class.

Comments

1. MartinaNYC says

Why don’t I live close to you? I eat avocado EVERY DAY, sometimes twice per day. I put it prety much everywhere!!!! In my salad, in my pre-run bowl of rice, in sandwiches, and I love making guacamole and use it to add some flavor to burgers, patties and co!

2. Erin says

The RNR race in my hometown was cancelled so I was able to register for the Vegas race with my entry fees. Can I still run with your team and raise some money?

When you sign up you have to commit to raise $750. So, you can do that and opt out of the bib or you can definitely donate to someone else? Not sure those are great work arounds…

3. Sarah says

You should come see the little bin of avocados at my local grocery store. EXTREMELY small town in Canada. It would make you cry to see how sad they look :(
    So jealous of your tree!

4. april says

i’ve been eating avocados like crazy for the past couple months – i WISH i had an avocado tree!

silk pure almond milk is my fave. i stir it into my oatmeal every morning. i especially love their unsweetened vanilla :)

5. MichelleG says

Put home made cookie dough in ice cube tray and freeze. Pop them out and bake. Easy way to bake a few portion controlled cookies. If I bake a batch…. Ill eat the batch ;)

You can tell how ripe an avocado is by pulling off the little stem (my kids call it a belly button). If the skin under is green, it’s good. If it’s brown, don’t buy it.

7. Leah says

My tip: I am not normally a fan of Paula Deen recipes (because I don’t want to weigh 500 lbs, not just because of the current controversy), but her watermelon feta salad recipe is easy and DELICIOUS! Just use 1/4 as much olive oil as she recommends because Paula likes to add fat when it isn’t actually needed.

Want to use just half an avocado keep it from turning brown? Place an avocado in a clean cottage cheese or similarly sized opaque container with a piece of cut up onion. Cover with lid and refrigerate. I’ve had a cut avocado stay fresh for several days this way.

9. brooke says

about the whole foods almond milk– it’ll be back in october, its recipe is being reformulated. (i work at whole foods- in the chicago area)

My excellent tip: when you are cooking vegetables through out the week throw the scraps / stuff you would normally throw away in a gallon freezer bag and toss it in the freezer. Once it’s full you can make a giant pot of vegetable stock!!

I wish I had an avocado tree! When we move we’ll finally have room for a garden and I’m so excited to have our own veggies… but avocado tress don’t grow in the northeast, sadly. I never though about freezing extras- great idea!