Eggs in Corn Tortilla Cups Recipe

eggs in tortilla cups recipe thumb Eggs in Corn Tortilla Cups Recipe

As a kid I wasn’t a fan of spicy foods, but in the last few years I have become obsessed with salsa and spices and random attempts to burn my tongue off in the name of flava.

the most interesting man in the world eats hot sauce too thumb Eggs in Corn Tortilla Cups Recipe

I follow a strict Sriracha diet for breakfast, but when I’m making eggs for lunch or dinner – Cholula is the name of the game. These eggs cups can be made straight up without salsa or drowned in the stuff – it’s up to you. Either way they are delicious and super easy to make.

Eggs in Corn Tortilla Cups Recipe

{Gluten free, Vegetarian, Runner Approved}

Ingredients:

• Corn tortillas (as many as you want)
  • Eggs
  • Cheese
  • Salsa or Hot Sauce
  • Green onions
  • Optional: Avocado, Sour Cream, Beans, Dos Equis

For some reason corn tortillas are sold in packs of 60 or more. And they get stale fast. So, start by microwaving your tortillas for 30-60 seconds or until soft.

IMG 3206 800x533 thumb Eggs in Corn Tortilla Cups Recipe

Carefully place tortillas in a non-stick sprayed cupcake pan. It’s okay if they tear a little bit, the egg on the bottom will set. Optional: Spread some beans on the bottom of the tortilla. (This makes it a little messier to remove from pan.)

IMG 3208 800x533 thumb Eggs in Corn Tortilla Cups Recipe

Break eggs one-by-one into separate dish and pour into tortilla cups.

IMG 3213 800x533 thumb Eggs in Corn Tortilla Cups Recipe

Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until whites start to set. Remove from oven and top with cheese. Place back in oven for 5 minutes for cheese to melt and whites to completely set.

IMG 3217 800x533 thumb Eggs in Corn Tortilla Cups Recipe

Top with green onions and guacamole or sour cream.

IMG 3226 800x533 thumb Eggs in Corn Tortilla Cups Recipe

Optional: Add extra hot sauce to every bite!

IMG 3242 800x533 thumb Eggs in Corn Tortilla Cups Recipe

Question: Favorite hot sauce?

I can’t believe I am turning on my Mexican roots to vote for Sriracha, but yeah if I had to only pick one.

pin it button Eggs in Corn Tortilla Cups Recipe

Comments

1. Natalie says

Favorite hot sauce…either El Yucateco Kutbil-ik habanero hot sauce or Dave’s Ghost Pepper Jolokia sauce. Yes…I love it spicy :-)

I’m so going to try this! I love eggs in any form, especially with tortillas and cheese. Yum!

Cholula is usually the winner in my house. We go through a lot of that stuff. We also love Frank’s Hot Sauce. We’ll put that on everything, but it’s incredible on chicken wings. Now I’m craving chicken wings.

My favorite hot sauce is also Sriracha. And this recipe is perfect for me because I am without a stove at my little in-law suite (staying here for school). These will be perfect to make in my toaster oven :D

4. Sarah G. says

I make eggs every. single. morning. for the hubs and I – this might be a nice little change of pace from the standard scrambled ones I make.

I recently started using sriracha (because of this blog, actually!) and I really like it. I didn’t really use hot sauce a whole lot before, except for in dips or when I add a dash to my homemade guac.

Oh my, these look absolutely delicious and I *LOVE* the most interesting man in the world meme. I am a hot sauce addict and put it on everything – my boyfriend simply sets it out at every meal, whether it is “appropriate” or not!

I am a Cholula addict. I spent four months in El Paso last year and had it on my breakfast every morning at the hotel.

This reminds me, tomorrow is our monthly “Flameout” potluck where we all bring in spicy food and go nuts. I’m making corn on the cob with spicy butter.

Those look really good! My favorite hot sauce is from a little authentic mexican food restaurant in Nebraska. I could probably drink the stuff. I have no idea what it really is though.

Satay sauce! It’s not that spicy but I love this peanut-y sauce. I’m vegan, so I’m thinking what else I can sub for the egg. Ideas anyone?

9. Alissa M. says

Yes, my comment is very late to the game, but I feel I must chime in here: I do love Cholula, but have to mention Valentina sauce as a strong contender as well. I use both but for different purposes. For these, I would probably go Valentina.