The BEST Drink for Runners Recipe

I have been blending up this amazing recovery drink for runners in my head movies for the longest time. It has what ya need to conquer the world and/OR help you recover with some powerful fruits and veggies.

best runners recovery drink thumb The BEST Drink for Runners Recipe

1. Beets. A while back I read that beets are amazing for endurance athletes. Beets are high in nitrates, and proved to help increase endurance in cyclists (even more than a supplement with nitrates). Basically, they help you go longer and we all know that’s important.  (source)

IMG 3752 800x533 thumb The BEST Drink for Runners Recipe

I don’t like eating beets (think they taste like dirt). But I LOVE drinking them. My favorite detox juice from WF has a lot of beets, which I think is dope.

juice me up baby 450x800 thumb The BEST Drink for Runners Recipe

im making dope beats thumb The BEST Drink for Runners Recipe

(source)

2. Coconut water. Supposedly it is the closest liquid to human plasma. What?! It’s like blood doping, but with plants. (source)

Plus, Russell Brand enjoys it…

coconut water russel brand tweet thumb The BEST Drink for Runners Recipe

3. Watermelon. I mentioned this in my Watermelon Workout Drink recipe but my favorite food ever helps prevent muscle soreness. Plus, I love it.

So, I wanted to combine all these great things in one glass for the best runner’s drink ever.

IMG 3760 533x800 thumb The BEST Drink for Runners Recipe

The Best Magical Recovery Drink Recipe

{Gluten Free * Magic Free * Power Full}

• 1.5 cups coconut water
  • 2 beets (cooked, from the produce section)
  • 1/2 cup carrots
  • 1/2 cup cucumber
  • 1/2 cup watermelon (I used frozen)
  • optional: few drops stevia to sweeten

Blend thoroughly. Serve over ice. Colder the better!

IMG 3774 800x533 thumb The BEST Drink for Runners Recipe

Notes: I have never cooked beets in my house before so I didn’t want to try and deal with the staining situation. Plus, I don’t have a ‘real’ juicer I use a Blendtec.  I bought cooked beets in a package from the produce section. I’m not a raw fanatic so this works great for my purposes.

Enjoy!

IMG 3798 533x800 thumb The BEST Drink for Runners Recipe

Question: Do you like beets?

Comments

1. Gillian says

Beets totally taste like dirt! I say that all the time. But I am willing to try your drink :) Recovering from a PW marathon yesterday following crappy work week with no sleep and a lovely hot and humid 80F race. Ugh. Looking forward to Nike SF and NYC! You’re doing Long Beach (I assume) and NYC, and what other craziness you got on your calendar?

I don’t really eat plain beets, but I do the same as you – drink them. I actually bought organic crystallized beets and usually put them in smoothies, and if I am short for time – a tablespoon in orange juice the night before a run and the morning of.

I’ve been doing beets for awhile now. Those nasty little suckers really work, but I’ve been drinking straight beet juice. I guess I should try to mix it up especially since I look like a vampire after I drink it sometimes.

Beets are great but have a high sugar content, plus everything in that shake has a lot of natural sugars in it. Try adding some almond butter to it and add some healthy fats and lower the glycemic index of that delicious drink.

5. Colleen says

I LOVE beets…beet salad…plain beets…beet juice…you name it, I love it! Thanks for this…looks deeelish! Can’t wait to try it!

LOVE beets — LOVE them! I feel like I was deprived as a child never being introduced to them, but at least my adult self found them. Sometimes you gotta do things on your own.

7. Leah says

omg you made me snort my margarita with the “beets taste like dirt” statement! they absolutely do! I would ditch the beets or just add one small slice and add a cup of spinach!

I love beets in a green juice! But then the juice technically isn’t a green juice anymore. I just call it “beetriffic” at that point.

Looks good! I think coconut water tastes like a fart though… oh well : ) I like beat salads, more like love. I made one a few weeks ago (prepped a giant tub and ate throughout the week) and it was beets, apples, red onion, and some red wine and olive oil. YUMMMMO. Also having a juicer isn’t everything it is cracked up to be. Mine sits on the counter staring at me and I never use it any more. That thing EATS through my grocery budget.

I LOVE juicing beets – I mix (all raw) beets, carrots, celery and an apple. Then I love to add a little vanilla spirutein! I love that it is bright pink!

Looks good! I realized that I have only had beets maybe once in my life… I need to try them again & I’ll let you know if I think they taste like dirt too ;-)

so what’s wrong with eating dirt???
    but seriously, you should try roasting beets, sweetens them up and makes them delicious…. i can eat them raw but roasted is really a different experience…. try it!

13. Beth says

my bf and i actually love beets we include them in a lot of the recipes we ‘create’ they are so good for you and as kids we fought it but as adults we love ‘em! Thanks for sharing this recipe – cannot wait to get home and try it!

This sounds like perfect complement to our training! We drink a fab green smoothie every day, but with longer distances lately I have been feeling need for more hydration. Will give this a whirl soon?

15. Linda says

I love beets, and this drink sounds wonderful. I just happen to have some of those TJ’s beets in the frig…I’ll be trying it tomorrow! Thanks! :)

16. Cari says

I’m so glad I’m not the only one who thinks beets taste like dirt! That’s what I’ve always said when asked if I like them, and I usually get funny looks :P

I think beets taste like dirt too, eew! I kept thinking my palate would evolve and every time I try them I still don’t like them. I agree though that somehow they are good juiced…weird!

18. Bobbie says

I love beets! They have an “earth-y” flavor. Nicer way to put it? Maybe it’s because when I was young I went to a camp where we would make a stew on camp outs and the secret ingredient (not any more) was that everyone threw in a pinch of dirt! For some reason my mom didn’t care for that part of camp??!!

19. c says

hate beets…. forced to eat hem in camp on Tuesdays…..they would stain the tuna/noodle cassarole pink…..ick…ick. There are some Indian recipes where you roast them with coconut…

20. Meesha says

I love beets! I throw a raw chunk in my green smoothie (blend tec). It gives a deeper red and with some frozen strawberries, I am not thinking about the red coming from the beets. Also, I kinda love the earthy taste. Kale, beets, carrot, frozen berries, OJ, a little fresh ginger, ice and stevia and yummo!