Great Wall Bucket List Check Off

Hello! I am exhausted and have an early wake-up call tomorrow for our next stop. But today was the MOST EPIC DAY EVER and I wanted to stop in really quick to share…

First, my workout of the day was really short – just 1.4 miles that took me almost an hour and a half…

SAM 0435 thumb Great Wall Bucket List Check Off

CLIMBING THE GREAT WALL OF CHINA.

SAM 0394 thumb Great Wall Bucket List Check Off

I climbed a part of the Great Wall of China today! This was on my bucket list and I’m so so excited I got this opportunity. Amazing.

SAM 0371 thumb Great Wall Bucket List Check OffSAM 0374 thumb Great Wall Bucket List Check Off

This was something I’ve always wanted to do and I was just soaking up the views and memories to reference in my head movies later.

SAM 0380 thumb Great Wall Bucket List Check Off

(Full post coming later on this so let me know if you have questions.)

I also ate a silk worm and squid. Go big or Go home to America.

SAM 0466 800x600 thumb Great Wall Bucket List Check Off

SAM 0471 800x600 thumb Great Wall Bucket List Check Off

SAM 0475 800x600 thumb Great Wall Bucket List Check Off

SAM 0483 800x600 thumb Great Wall Bucket List Check Off

image thumb4 Great Wall Bucket List Check Off

Question: What’s on your bucket list?

pin it button Great Wall Bucket List Check Off

Comments

1. Deb says

Wow, you are so brave to eat silk worm. No-thank-you! And crickets – blah! I’m having spine chills here….

Looks like you’re having a marvelous time. Thanks for keeping us posted on your trip. ;-)

The bugs — awesome and a little repulsive all at the same time. This is a HUGE bucket list cross off. Pretty jealous. I’m heading to Germany tomorrow and I’m pretty stoked. It wasn’t on my bucket list because I really didn’t think it would happen — kind of a last minute thing. Can’t wait to read more of your adventures!

3. DiDi says

YOU ARE AWESOME! Way to represent for the Americans. So many tourists go to other countries and walk around saying “eeeeeeew!” and “why don’t you have soy milk for my latte???”… So proud to be a fan of the travelin’ Monican. Go run it, eat it and repeat it all over Asia baby!

4. Jackie says

This is the section of the Great Wall that we climbed in July on a 100 degree day. I was so proud of my girls (9 and 11) ‘cuz they went to the top with us. So.Worth.It. When we got my younger daughter in March 2005, we toured a different section of the wall before traveling to Qinghai to get her. We rode rickety plastic toboggans to and from the staging area. Straight up and straight down. They actually had my 4 y.o. sit ON TOP of my husband’s seatbelt. After the Beijing Olympics, the ESPN did a story on strange things that they experienced in China and highlighted these crazy toboggans. They were so not safe and so would never ever never be allowed to operate in the US. But the Wall in the snow was worth risking our lives for ;-)

Stumbled upon your blog today and love the photos! I have a few things on my bucket list but I think the strangest one is that I’ve always wanted to milk a cow (?). Just keepin’ it real.

I look forward to reading more from you!

That’s so awesome!! My bucket list consists of raising money to go to CA this summer!! I want to go to the IDEA world fitness blogfest!! (at which I believe you’re speaking at?!) I’ve never just traveled for the fun of it and ever since I read about it I can’t get it out of my head!! I’m composing a post about it for my blog to post soon!!

Great Wall is definitely on my bucket list (along with about a million other things). I can’t believe you ate silk worms! I could do squid, but no worms for me

I’m LOVING your trip updates! I went to a different part of the wall (Mutianyu) in 2012, and I didn’t see food stalls at that part, so I’m so jealous right now. I’ve gotta check out more of the wall in the future! ;)

9. Melina says

Omg that’s so amazing! The Great Wall is on my list too… Guatemala this year first though… I can’t believe you ate those! Brave!

10. Ali says

It’s great that you aren’t too worried about eating bugs because I was listening to a radio show the other day that talked about the fact that the food supply is going to reach a huge deficit in the future (I missed the part when the predicted number of years was mentioned) and people will have to start relying on alternative sources of protein. It’s kinda crazy because one of the first things mentioned were crickets and other bugs for their huge amount of protein, with the added benefit of being very low fat, hahaha… In addition they also talked about farming meat – eek! Somehow the thought of farming meat seems creepier than eating bugs. It makes me think of growing meat in test-tubes or something.

11. Christina says

So cool! Yes it’s true a class I subbed for debated about harvesting bugs for protein. More cost effective on land etc maybe they should make cricket bars? Lol