New Running Shoes

I get excited over new running shoes like Carrie used to get over Manolos. For real. After deciding I desperately needed new ones I did some internet research to compare and contrast my two all time favorites – Asics Gel Nimbus & Adidas Supernova with a new brand – Mizuno.

Today I went to the mecca of running shoes to get a new pair – RoadRunner Sports…IMG 2577 300x225 New Running Shoes

I am super super loyal to Asics and Adidas and have only ever ran in those two brands (for over 5 years!). But, I thought maybe I should try something new.  I used Runner’s World’s Shoe Finder to compare my faves with this new shoe. The general aspects of them are very similar: neutral shoe, 1 oz. difference between them, similar cushion/support.

I run in neutral  shoes because I have a normal arch and don’t really need a lot of stability. Neutral shoes are best for someone with a  high arch that doesn’t pronate excessively. If you don’t know what type of shoe you need Zappos has a great guide for finding out. IMG 2569 300x225 New Running Shoes

Stability shoes are best for someone with a medium arch who does pronate. They often have more support down the inside, toward the arch/heel area. IMG 2571 300x225 New Running Shoes

Motion Control are best for flat footed runners who need a lot of support and control. IMG 2572 300x225 New Running Shoes

Mike, my new friend and running shoe guru, helped me try on all three shoes (Adidas, Asics and Mizuno) to compare. There really is nothing like actually putting the shoe on and testing it out. Do not solely rely on internet research, or my word to choose your shoes – get out their and test ‘em’. IMG 2576 225x300 New Running Shoes

There are so many choices it can be overwhelming! I would highly suggest investigating what type of feet you have and if you pronate to at least get you in the right category to limit the field a bit. Runner’s World explains pronation with text and video here.

One way you can tell if you over or under pronate is by checking your current shoes. Grab your shoes and check out the bottoms. Are they more worn down on the inside or outside of the heel? If so, you probably pronate. (Beware: There may also be a chance that you have shoe that provides too much stability on one side and is causing your foot to roll out. This happened to me.)IMG 2574 225x300 New Running Shoes

In the end I went with the Mizunos. RoadRunner has a 60 day guarantee so if they don’t work out I can take them back and get my old faithful brand:) I was very hesitant to try a new brand, but that guarantee makes me feel better. IMG 2578 300x225 New Running Shoes

I’m excited to take these babies for a test “run”, but I can’t do it tomorrow. I have a 20 miler planned and know better than to wear new shoes for a long run!

I also bought these sports beans to use as fuel on my long run:) I’ll let you know what I think of them tomorrow. IMG 2580 225x300 New Running ShoesQuestion: What brand/type of shoes do you run/exercise in? Are you loyal or do you try out new ones all the time?

pin it button New Running Shoes

Comments

I wear Mizuno’s…hope you like them! I adore mine – spent a lot of time with the guy at the running store before buying – but am so happy with the choice! And I used to be an Asics girl AND I have a neutral – so fingers crossed you like them!

I’ve worn Mizunos before and I liked them. After two pairs of New Balance, I’m wearing Saucony Pro Grids right now and I really like them. I tend to under pronate and therefore run in stabilty shoes.
    The Road Runners Sports store is my husband’s personal Disney World. We go often and have done our fair share of purchasing to keep that store afloat.
    Did you do the Shoe Dog running test on the treadmill?
    I haven’t done it, but my husband has.

Good luck with your new shoes!

3. Stephanie says

I wear Asics Gel Nimbus 11, and LOVE them! That being siad I was 100% loyal to mizunos when I played volleyball, and may go to them for my next pair of running shoes as they make narrows and I have very skinny very troublesome feet- good choice with the mizunos. Would love to hear how the do- I am due for a new pair in January

i am a neutral with a slight pronation in the right foot…but not enough to call me a pronator (um TWWS?) hahha

can i ask what the sales guy said when u asked to take his picture? What did u even ask lol? such bravery my darling one! love it!

xoxo
    Lo

• runeatrepeat says

Lo, He saw me taking pics of the display and asked about it. When I told him it was for the blog he said, “Can I be on it?”. Perfect! I didn’t even have to ask! And he was a total doll :)

5. Michelle says

I can completely relate to your love/hate relationship with cereal! I don’t what it is about cereal, the texture, taste? I usually make an effort not to buy it because I pretty much eat it until it is gone…and unfortunately it never really fills me up. I also hate to deny myself something I like. Sadly I have no solution to this but wanted to let you know that I completely understand!!

Love the blog, thanks for writing!

6. caronae says

I wore mizunos for like the last five years and just made the switch to asics! I was hesitant, but my store didn’t have the alchemy, which I LOVED. So far, I’m liking them a lot. I am a Mizuno fan though, but the ryder’s (which is what I think yours are) were causing me pain. Good luck!

I went to a running store (Fleet Feet) for the first time a few years ago. I ran on a treadmill while the woman helping me out videotaped my run so I could watch after! I thought it was cool. Turns out I have really flat feet and overpronate. I was fitting with a pair of Brooks (Addiction; they’re for stability), and I wore those for years. This summer, I thought I should try something new, so I went in, tried on a few pairs, and I left the store with Mizunos. I liked them; they were comfortable, though not as cushy as my old pair, and sure were snazzy looking! I ran my usual throughout the next week, noticing some shin pain, but chalked it up to new shoes. I woke up on Friday morning (I think I bought them the Saturday before) and could barely get out of bed. I’ve had some back pain before, but never like this. So I called the store and told them that I thought it had to be the sneakers. I went in, talked to them, and went back to another pair of Brooks Addictions.

Now, I’m not saying that the Mizunos won’t work for you; obviously, everyone is different. The Brooks work for me, but we have completely different feet. But how great is it to go to a running store and have them understand your issues? The woman who replaced my shoes (the same woman who fitted me originally, actually), said “we’re not a department store.” They want you to have happy feet!

Anyway, I’ve rambled on long enough. Good luck with the new shoes!

i’m pretty loyal to new balance but i tend to buy my shoes based on my wallet. might not be the best for my feet but so far so good :)

and i love that your shoes are pink. when i bought my current pair they only had my size in blue. i want pink! haha

I go through stages with my brand loyalty…. first it was Asics, then Sauconys, then back to Asics and now Brooks. I like the Brooks as they are a little easier on the bank account.

I tend to be a stability person, although I’m wondering if I should get fitted again…. I have plantars fasciitis that I got inserts for. My current fav have been Brooks Adrenaline. I really need a new pair though, luckily I got a gift certificate to our local running store for my b-day!

I’ve been wearing New Balance for several years but the last pair I bought have caused me arch problems. They discontinued my favorite model and the one that replaced it isn’t the same. :(

I love Mizuno’s! I have the Alchemy Wave Runner, probably a good time for me to get another pair. I bought mine right after Surf City marathon in February. Good luck with the 20 tomorrow! I am doing the same mileage, last long run before CIM in 2 weeks!

I can’t believe you live near Road Runner Sports!! That’s pretty much my dream!

When I first started running, I got a pair of Mizunos and I was tirelessly faithful to them through several half marathons. When I started marathon training, though, I switched to Asics 2120/30/40s because I pretty much felt like I was running on pillows and who doesn’t want that when they’re going to be on the road for 4.5 hours? ;-)

Enjoy your shoes!!

I have never tried Mizuno’s. I have Sauconys right now and love them! I just tried those sports beans with caffeine in them. I love the regular ones, but the ones with caffeine were awful! I’m curious whether you like them or not.

The running shoes I have right now are made by nike. Honestly, they are my first part of running shoes ever. I got them back in May for my birthday when I first started running. I’m probably not going to end up being very loyal to one particular brand. At least not for a while. I really do want to go to a running store so it isn’t just me trying to figure out what I need!

Just stumbled on your blog. I’m a runner too! (not running marathons, though…) I wear Mizunos and haven’t had issues with them. I’m thinking of switching a few days a week to Nike Frees since everyone is on the “less is more” wave…

Good luck with training!

I love those shoes! I am the type of person that changes my shoe everytime I need a new one because I have not found ones I love. Those shoes you just bought are it. I am actually looking for a pair right now but Dick’s is not carrying them

17. Michael Collins says

i used to be strictly Brooks adrenaline and infinty and Asics and i desided to try out the Saucony Guide 2. I hated the idea of changing shoes but i realized that i love the cut of the Guide 2′s. After trying them out earlyer this year it is now my most worn shoe and have many pairs of them, so in my opinion it is best for people to try out all shoes and see how they feel. Plus now working at a great running store i have learned that it is important to let people try things out.

I wish to show my thanks to you just for rescuing me from this predicament. As a result of exploring through the world-wide-web and finding strategies which are not productive, I thought my life was done. Living without the approaches to the problems you’ve resolved all through your good website is a serious case, as well as the kind which may have in a negative way affected my career if I hadn’t come across your web site. That ability and kindness in dealing with every aspect was helpful. I am not sure what I would’ve done if I hadn’t encountered such a solution like this. It’s possible to now relish my future. Thanks for your time so much for your expert and effective help. I won’t hesitate to refer the blog to any individual who would like tips on this problem.

Aw, this was a really nice post. In idea I would like to put in writing like this moreover – taking time and precise effort to make an excellent article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and certainly not seem to get one thing done.

I dont like cocunot water either. It tastes like warm soap! I NEED my oatmeal to be scalding hot. Mmmm so good that way I cany wake up to my alarm if its set at 0 or 5!