Grocery Haul

I finally made it to the store! Actually, I still need 1 or 4 small things from the “normal” grocery store, but I got a ton of stuff at Costco today. One of the negatives about eating meat is the cost – I spent a lot more than I normally do because I bought things I don’t normally get like chicken, chicken sausages and ground turkey.  While Ben does eat meat, in the past I would buy these things rarely because it would just be him eating them. Plus I would make an effort to get him to eat veggie a couple times a week. IMG 5965 thumb Grocery Haul

My most exciting purchase is the guacamole! This is one of the few food items Ben and I love equally and fight over wlEmoticon smile7 Grocery HaulIMG 5971 thumb Grocery Haul

I didn’t even wait to put everything away before I made a big salad for lunch. The base was pretty generic – romaine, tomatoes and onions. I topped it with guacamole for “dressing” and chicken. IMG 5974 thumb Grocery Haul

I’m going to try and eat a lifetime supply of guacamole before Ben gets home so I don’t have to share. Kidding. Kinda. IMG 5975 thumb Grocery Haul

Question: If you could only shop at one grocery store for the rest of your life, what would it be?

This is a tough one for me. As much as I LOVE Trader Joe’s – their produce is sad. So it was between Whole Foods and Costco and I’m going with WF because of their hot food bar. It was close though because I hate that it’s so expensive.

Comments

I love Trader Joe’s, but their toilet paper SUCKS. And, I hate how they prepackage all their fruits and veggies. I don’t need all the plastic, folks.

I would pick Ralph’s. (Kroger for you midwesters) It’s close to my house, has everything I need (though not fancy stuff, but I can do without), and the prices are reasonable.

I just went to Sam’s club for the first time this week (same deal as Costco) and totally remembered why it is so awesome. That being said, it is quite the hefty haul to get it all home and eat everything. TJs wins me over every time!

Wegman’s, hands down. It’s like the crown jewel of grocery stores. If you’ve never been to one, you might want to add it to your bucket list :)

I would totally go with WF because I love every aspect about it except the prices…so, they just opened a Shop Rite down the street from me and I love it..they have a great produce section and an awsome organic/natural section. The prices are amazing and I love that I get money back for using my own bags:)

I always have a hard time going to Costco. I feel like I spend way more than needed for 2 people. Plus I have a super small apartment. If money was no object I think I would say Whole Foods over Trader Joe’s.

I love Wholly Guacamole! They have 100 snack packs which are perfect to take to work and add to a salad or sandwich.

I have only been to a Trader Joes a few times so I would say Whole Foods is my favorite grocery store. Too bad I can’t afford to shop there very often.

7. Dynamics says

WF all the way. TJ and their veggies has been very sad. The produce goes rotten in one day and the flavor is just not there anymore. A lot of people have been complaining about TJ produce. At least at WF there is a lot more to choose from.

If money weren’t an option, I’d pick Whole Foods. However, money is a deciding factor and as much as it pains me to admit it, I’d pick the military commissary I shop at. I HATE going there because it’s always a mad house, but the prices are great and the selection isn’t too bad, either. If we had Super Target, I’d pick that, but, alas, we don’t.

9. Kianni says

If they could cram Costco and Whole foods in to one market…(Wholecostfoodsco?) lol I could go with that ha. Other wise, I’d be stuck choosing both. and maybe Ralphs.- but only ’cause it’s the closest market.

10. Susan says

I feel grocery store deprived- I’ve never been to a Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods. I don’t even if we have them in our state. And the closest Costco is a nearly 2 hour drive from my house. I guess if I was going strictly local it would have to be Safeway. Great fresh produce, nice bakery and even though it is spendy as long as I stick mostly to sale items I don’t break my budget too much.

I agree with everyone here about TJs – it’s great, but the produce is scarce. We don’t have a WF near here, so I can’t compare that… and while I love Costco, I often ended up with more food than I could consume before it went bad… I do most of my shopping at Walmart because it’s huge selection and cheap!

There’s no way I could pick. I can’t afford to shop at New Seasons solely, but the cheap stores don’t have all of the healthy stuff I want!

13. Lauren says

Wait – did you just start eating meat again after a long hiatus? That could be your stomach troubles. I’ve been a vegetarian for about 4.5 years now. A couple years ago, my boyfriend got a hamburger, and although I don’t eat meat (and hadnt for like 2.5 years at that point), it just smelled so good that I wanted to just taste it. (I don’t know what came over me.) Well, suffice to say, I got so sick on both ends that I had to go to the hospital to get an IV put in. Since then, I have not lapsed with meat because of that day. Maybe the meat is upsetting your stomach?