Recycle Your Running Shoes

Earth Day is April 22nd! Are you going to hug a tree?

www.nataliedee.com
www.nataliedee.com

If you are afraid of getting bitten by a squirrel, forget the tree embrace and Recycle Your Running Shoes!

soles 4 souls

Most athletic shoes can be recycled – not just donated. If you run (or walk) your shoes into the ground they won’t do the Good Will any good, but you can recycle them at a local running store. I know many SoCal running stores offer this service.

Wonder what they do with your old smelly sneakers?

You can watch this video from the Nike website to find out! It’s actually pretty cool :)

Check with your local running shoe store to see if they offer shoe recycling or use one of these sites to find a location:

Nike Reuse A Shoe

Recycled Runners

image

I didn’t take pics of my afternoon snacks because by the time the fridge guy left I was starving and immediately dug into the biggest bowl of cereal and a granola bar. Biggest. Trust me.

This afternoon I made another Early Bird Special – Pasta at 4pm.

IMG_9656 (800x533)

I used both elbows and shells because that’s what I had Smile

IMG_9661 (800x533)

Then, I went to coach my little group. I try to run with different peeps each time and I’m loving getting to know everyone.

IMG_9666 (600x800)

Post-run group, I came home for a baking project. I’ll post how to make a bunny cake tomorrow!!!

IMG_9668 (800x533)

To satisfy my sweet tooth I made a pumpkin flan/cake. It was 1c pumpkin, 1/2c egg beaters, 1/4c whole grain pancake mix, pumpkin pie spice and 2 stevia packets. Then, I microwaved it for 4 minutes until firm.

IMG_9671 (800x533)

I topped it with frosting (which melted because it was still hot), which is a major Lent fail, but I couldn’t resist. I’m not made of stone.

In other news – apparently, Ben is not afraid of being bitten by a squirrel. He took this pic shortly before we got together. I should have made him get tested for rabies…

image

Comments

i used to think broccoli were trees from miniature forrests – so i’ll eat some extra broccoli in celebration of earth day … wait, should i eat broccoli or plant some broccoli? :) eat it! bring on the earth day (natural) gas!

2. Jill says

Doing my bit for Earth day. I rode my 80mpg bike to work instead of driving my SUV that gets a LOT less mpg. Drank my coffee from a mug instead of styrofoam. Got my Nalgene water bottle on my desk. One day, I will be inspired to actually drink water from it.

i just throw out my shoes. mostly because i wear them into the ground. they actually fall apart. i’ll check out my local store because i know goodwill won’t take them how they are.

Thanks for the tip about running shoe recycling! I have to get new shoes more often than I’d like because I have high arches and complicated feet. I used to just give my old shoes to Goodwill, but honestly, I don’t know who would want to pay anything for my beat up old running shoes!
    I’ll definitely be recycling my last pair!

I dropped off five pairs of old running shoes at the Nike outlet near my house 8D. No way anyone could ever wear them, so I glad and would like to imagine a track or tennis court or jungle gym floor is being made out of them >8)

This is great! I have a few running shoes here that I already didn’t use. Maybe, I can recycle these instead of just keeping it here. Thanks for this tip.

Fantastic submit. I was examining regularly this blog site and I am impressed!
    Really useful info specifically the last element I treatment for these types of information significantly.
    I was trying to find this certain information and facts for a pretty lengthy time.
    Thank you and excellent luck.